Install APKs on your device by double clicking on your PC with installAPK [Beta 1]

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Android is really great, but there a few points of Android ownership that are a bit of a pain... one of which is installing APKs on your device. Enter installAPK!

The current release is Beta 1 - usual Beta caveats apply!

What it does

installAPK is currently for Windows only. After installation on your machine, you can double click APK files to install them on your USB attached android device. Simple as that!

Where do I get it?

Download the install EXE and USB drivers if required here at MoDaCo - http://shortun.com/3o

Anything else I should know?

This is the first Beta, tested on XP, Vista and Windows 7, but please post here with any issues! :)

P

PS Android SDK download / install is NOT required!

PPS More APK related fun coming from me soon! ;)

Last edited:

PayableOnDeath

Mar 22, 2005
Hi paul

nice to see you on here :)

your CAB file to phone app was great
will test this next time I need to install an app to install to my G1 from my pc

Regards

David

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Nothing magic here...
It just runs 'adb install whatever.apk'.
Just as easy to simply associate "apk" files with the command "adb install".

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Of course!

It does mean you don't have to manually download the SDK and grab ADB however... and just running this setup is easier than doing that, installing and associating.

It also puts a nicer GUI on it, a GUI that will be updated as development progresses, things like 'Save a copy of the APK on your storage card?' and much much more.

P

omario117

May 21, 2009
Chicago
To launch the program. I had to browse into the Program Files folder to launch it, and figured if it just automatically adds to the start menu, it's a tad bit easier.

TimSykes

Jul 24, 2007
Great app, but if your going to install a lot of apps after a wipe I find it better to setup a .bat file and just run it. After all the Hero roms I have installed it makes it 20 times faster. Here is the example on my batch file.

Code:
adb install apps\art.wild.gdocs.apk
adb install apps\at.abraxas.mountusb.apk
adb install apps\com.a0soft.gphone.aTrackDog.apk
adb install apps\com.androidapps.widget.battery.apk
adb install apps\com.ap.AppDock.apk

omario117

May 21, 2009
Chicago
Great app, but if your going to install a lot of apps after a wipe I find it better to setup a .bat file and just run it. After all the Hero roms I have installed it makes it 20 times faster. Here is the example on my batch file.

Code:
adb install apps\art.wild.gdocs.apk
adb install apps\at.abraxas.mountusb.apk
adb install apps\com.a0soft.gphone.aTrackDog.apk
adb install apps\com.androidapps.widget.battery.apk
adb install apps\com.ap.AppDock.apk
This idea intrigues me... are you running the .bat file from the tools folder or have you set up an environmental variable?