• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Install CyanogenMod 12.1 on Barnes & Noble Nook HD or Nook HD+ in Five Easy Steps

Search This thread
Thanks, that did it! Now that I have 12.1 loaded down with apps, it's slowing down a bit. I might have to trim the fat. Then again, if I end up gifting it, they won't have as many apps.

FWIW I had tried 12.1 for about a month, its performance was very snappy at first but after a couple of weeks slowed down to a crawl, so I ended up going back to 11. I am now on 14.1 and the performance is so far so good.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium HD app

i9000usersa

Feb 22, 2011
Can anyone please offer some advice? I was following the instructions on the pdf in OP, but the mini partition tool doesn't give me the option to set the partition as active. The right click option doesn't give me the option in the pop-up menu, and the partition>modify.set active is greyed out. I have formatted to fat32 with default cluster sizes. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Can anyone please offer some advice? I was following the instructions on the pdf in OP, but the mini partition tool doesn't give me the option to set the partition as active. The right click option doesn't give me the option in the pop-up menu, and the partition>modify.set active is greyed out. I have formatted to fat32 with default cluster sizes. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Did you create that partition using the Mini-Partition Tool?

BTW, FWIW I'd suggest you try LN14.1 -- in my experience it performs much, much better than CM12.1

i9000usersa

Feb 22, 2011
Did you create that partition using the Mini-Partition Tool?

BTW, FWIW I'd suggest you try LN14.1 -- in my experience it performs much, much better than CM12.1
Thanks. I used another micro SD card, and this time instead of deleting the partition and creating a new one, I just formatted it, and then I had the option of setting it as active. So, now it works and I used it to install Lineage OS. Thanks.

nux7osx

Sep 1, 2013
Ok, So I'm very new to this

Hi,

I'm new to this, I once had a old CM 11 build running off my microSD card, so I could keep my Nook OS yet still run a Rooted OS build off the microSD card.

Does this Guide wipe out the internal storage and flashes directly onto the Nook HD+?

Is this PDF still valid? I was hoping to maybe run I believe the latest non-CM build if possible, what is the latest build? And do I do everything in this guide, except swap out the android build with the one of my choosing? Or do I need to pretty much not follow this guide?

Sorry to be a complete novice on the subject, I haven't rooted anything in over 3 years so far.

Thanks in advance

pstelter

Feb 14, 2017
First off...instructions were really spot-on! Thanks!

Second, got up and running on CM12.1 pretty quickly, but could not get the Nook Reader app to install. I found a (potential) solution, however, it requires me to root the device. However, the enable root access is not available in my Developer's options. Tried flashing SuperSU....still no good.

Ok - research shows that root access is a selectable in CM13.1. So I find what I think is a CM13.1 file and give it a try. Turns out it is CM14.1. GApps for 14.1 won't flash - system partition is too small. Have not tried to load with the TWRP.

Questions....
1. How do I get root access on 12.1 either through SuperSU or other means, or
2. The files from @amaces do not indicate what version of CM they are. Which one is for CM13.1? Should I try an AOSP ROM?, or
3. How do I get GAPss for 7.1 to install?

Thanks for the help!

BTW, I am a complete a complete newbie just poking around trying to see what I can learn. I think the battery is dying on the Nook, so I may be in the market for a new tablet soon. Won't really mind if I brick this device.

Questions....
1. How do I get root access on 12.1 either through SuperSU or other means,
For 12.1 you need to flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip (https://download.chainfire.eu/696/supersu/).
2. The files from @amaces do not indicate what version of CM they are. Which one is for CM13.1? Should I try an AOSP ROM?,
I'd suggest you try the LN14.1 build at https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3480156918.
3. How do I get GAPss for 7.1 to install?
You need to use the smallest, minimalist pico package.

nux7osx

Sep 1, 2013
Ok, I'm confused a bit after reading what to download exactly. I believe this is all I need to download, if anyone can confirm, I'm trying to flash the suggested LN14.1 ROM, latest GApps Pico, etc:

lnos_ovation-ota-NMF26Q.170104.zip
open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20170216

My issue is what do I download for Recovery and Bootloader?

I see these in the latest builds where I got LN14.1: twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip and twrp-3.0.3-0-ovation-K3.4.img

Are those the recovery? Which should I get?

And the only boot files I see are the old ones from the PDF: NookHDplus-bootable-CWM-6046-for-emmc-BOOTFILES-rev0-(07.13.14).zip is this still needed to use?

Sorry for the confusion and all.

Ok, I'm confused a bit after reading what to download exactly. I believe this is all I need to download, if anyone can confirm, I'm trying to flash the suggested LN14.1 ROM, latest GApps Pico, etc:

open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20170216

My issue is what do I download for Recovery and Bootloader?

I see these in the latest builds where I got LN14.1: twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip and twrp-3.0.3-0-ovation-K3.4.img

Are those the recovery? Which should I get?

And the only boot files I see are the old ones from the PDF: NookHDplus-bootable-CWM-6046-for-emmc-BOOTFILES-rev0-(07.13.14).zip is this still needed to use?

Sorry for the confusion and all.
If your Nook already runs CM, you should be able to use your current CWM/TWRP recovery to flash twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip (available at https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778), then reboot into the newly flashed TWRP to perform "wipe /data & factory reset", and then flash the LM and GApps zip files.

If your Nook is still on stock ROM, you should burn the bootable SD-based recovery image in sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz (available at https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778) and use the SD-based recovery to flash TWRP as well as LN and GApps zip files.

nux7osx

Sep 1, 2013
If your Nook already runs CM, you should be able to use your current CWM/TWRP recovery to flash twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip (available at https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778), then reboot into the newly flashed TWRP to perform "wipe /data & factory reset", and then flash the LM and GApps zip files.

If your Nook is still on stock ROM, you should burn the bootable SD-based recovery image in sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz (available at https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778) and use the SD-based recovery to flash TWRP as well as LN and GApps zip files.

Ok, So I just need these files in total?

sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz
twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip
open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20170216.zip

As for the sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz file, is this actually a .img I have to rename? And not use twrp-3.0.3-0-ovation.img and use twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip instead?

Oh and I'm at stock Barnes and Noble rom currently. I don't need to use the old boot files from the PDF?

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Sorry was able to extract the files out of the sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz file.

Last edited:
Ok, So I just need these files in total?

twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip

As for the sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz file, is this actually a .img I have to rename? And not use twrp-3.0.3-0-ovation.img and use twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip instead?

Oh and I'm at stock Barnes and Noble rom currently. I don't need to use the old boot files from the PDF?

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Sorry was able to extract the files out of the sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz file.
Use win32diskimager to write sdcard-reco-ovation.img to SD card, copy the 3 zip files twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip, lnos_ovation-ota-NMF26Q.170104.zip, open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20170216.zip to the SD card, insert the SD card into your Nook in power-off state, then power on the Nook to boot it off the SD card.

nux7osx

Sep 1, 2013
seems like I have two issues. Win32idiskmager when used kills my sdcard and is no longer useable unless i format it, It is no longer a FAT32 active partition, its unallocated.

So i used 7zip to extract the sd-reco files and saved them to my microsd card after formatting it to an active fat32 partition.

I went ahead and copied these boot files to my sdcard:

kernel, ramdisk, u-boot.bin, uImage, and MLO (this was copied over first by itself).

Here's my current file list, MLO was copied first, so not sure if that matters on boot loading exactly, followed the PDF. Please see Attachment

Then I copied the 3 zip files you mentioned. Now I cannot seem to power on my Nook after doing all this with the microsd card inserted.

Last edited:
seems like I have two issues. Win32idiskmager when used kills my sdcard and is no longer useable unless i format it, It is no longer a FAT32 active partition, its unallocated.

So i used 7zip to extract the sd-reco files and saved them to my microsd card after formatting it to an active fat32 partition.

I went ahead and copied these boot files to my sdcard:

kernel, ramdisk, u-boot.bin, uImage, and MLO (this was copied over first by itself).

Here's my current file list, MLO was copied first, so not sure if that matters on boot loading exactly, followed the PDF. Please see Attachment

Then I copied the 3 zip files you mentioned. Now I cannot seem to power on my Nook after doing all this with the microsd card inserted.
Make sure that the SD is correctly formatted as 0x0C FAT32 LBA (see step #1 of https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2679899).

MLO has to be the first file copied to the freshly formatted. If you still have the same problem see note b) of the post I referenced above.

blackest_knight

Jun 4, 2005
Make sure that the SD is correctly formatted as 0x0C FAT32 LBA (see step #1 of https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2679899).

MLO has to be the first file copied to the freshly formatted. If you still have the same problem see note b) of the post I referenced above.

Hi,
I had the battery go totally flat on my nook hd+ and i ended up getting it back up with no apps, so i flashed a gaaps package but it still didn't get me the play store so i ended up flashing a full gaaps package it said system needed to be cleared so i did that and installed the full gaap package and now i'm stuck at the bootloader.

I'm trying to follow your conversation here

I have
twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip
and am downloading
cm_ovation-ota-LMY48Y.151218.zip
I think i probably need a new gaaps package since the one i have is for 5.0.2cm

Am i on the right track?

ok i managed to get in a pickle i did a factory reset and ended up getting a boot loop
so i made the sd recovery as above
booted with it
did the 3 installs
and after a slow start am now signing in to restore my apps , phew
also smoked my first cig in about a month :)
thank you for all the useful information

Last edited:

blackest_knight

Jun 4, 2005
I am back up and running using these files
twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip

I was looking at googles guide to 7.1 and it says you can run 2 apps side by side. I found a post from 2015 which said you had to enable this in developer settings but I can't find the setting.

blackest_knight

Jun 4, 2005
in trouble again earlier this evening it decided to do something strange with the desktop. I have access to the pull down menu's at the top but the desktop has turned black and only the left triangle is showing up the circle and square are missing meaning i can't do much with it. I guess i can flash it again but it is quite disappointing.

DrWu

Feb 10, 2015
I'm trying to load CWM (or any decent custom ROM) on a refurbed Nook HD BNTV400 I bought specifically to run a custom ROM on but I haven't been able to get it to boot from the SD card. I started out using PeteInSequim's 2014 process as detailed in the "tutorial for beginners" because both my objectives and my Android skill sets as pretty low-level, especially tablet versions. I faithfully followed the process from the OP in the interests of time economy and not getting lost in the weeds in the 21 pages of this thread that follow. But when I couldn't get my device to boot using the method(s) described in that post I waded in deeper and, predictably, got overwhelmed with the details.

So I took a different tack. I figured that the last information offered probably would lead to the most functional tablet so I made an effort to start at the end and read backwards to find the beginning of the process that the thread ends with but that was beyond me, too.

As for my experience level, I previously have (towel) rooted an LG phone and (TWRP) flashed a recovery ROM to it, I have (king) rooted a Samsung phone and later flashed a custom ROM to it (using Odin). And I have used and have basic familiarity with ADB but that's about it. And this is my first experience of any sort with the tablet versions of Android, so PeteInSequim's guide seemed ideal.

On to the details. I'm using an 8gb Class 4 PNY card, which I prepped both under Linux (GParted) and with Windows (MiniTool Partition Wizard) as per PeteInSequim's PDF guide. I tried booting 10+ times with the Linux-prepared card and at least 10 more with the Windows-prepped card and in no case did it appear to make any effort to boot from the card.

I did check and the SD card is mounting and the files on it are accessible once the tablet has booted. The files I'm using are:

1) NookHD-bootable-CWM-6046-for-emmc-BOOTFILES-rev0-(07.13.14).rar, files and extracted and copied to SD card, MLO binary being the first file copied and at that point the only file on the SD card.

2) NookHD-CWM-6046-for-internal-memory-rev0-(07-13-14).zip, copied intact to SD card

and 3) cm_hummingbird-ota-MOB31K.161125.zip, copied intact to SD card

And that's it. Insert card, power on, and ... nothing.

Now to my questions.
Firstly, is there any way I can know whether the tablet's failure to boot is the fault of the device or the fault of an improperly constructed/configured SD card? Or is either simply the more likely?

Is there anything I can do differently in the preparation of the SD card that might improve my results? (I also have other larger and 'faster' SD cards I might use)

I don't particularly care for the factory interface so I don't think simply rooting will lead to a satisfactory result. I'm not married to CWM but I would like a ROM that offers more complete Android functionality but without a lot of glitches, and something that doesn't invite Google to give me a colonoscopy. One of my objectives in my previous Android modding was to remove as many Google apps as possible, so with that in mind this time around I had intended to skip loading any GApps packages, but if I'm overlooking some material reason I should rethink that, please let me know.

And if you have suggestions for alternate procedures or ROMs, I'd be eager to hear it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Want to try Nougat on your Nook HD+ or HD?
    Installing Nougat has never been easier. Procedure described in post 239 of this thread.

Development for unofficial CM-12.1 for Nook HD and Nook HD+ has ceased.
    The author @amaces has moved on to Marshmallow (Android 6), and the zip files for these progressive releases are what you now see at the collaboration link. If you wish to install CM-12.1 look instead through the pages of his "obsolete" folder for "cm-12.1-20151018" and "twrp-2.8.7.4" final releases. CWM should install these properly but later versions are likely to fail due to deficiencies in the CWM recovery utility.

Better yet try the latest Marshmallow and TWRP versions. For this you must create a new bootable microSD card using these files provided by @belfastraven and the downloaded zip files "cm_hummingbird-ota-MHC19Q.160407.zip" and "twrp-3.0.1-0-hummingbird.zip". These versions may advance by the time you happen to do this. The procedure is the same as described in the .pdf guide for CM-12.1, except with the new files.

And use a current GApps file for the ARM platform, Android 6.0 from http://opengapps.org/.

This is a detailed tutorial for beginners. Seasoned users may find it overly verbose.

My toy box contains some Nook HD and Nook HD+ tablets, and I recently became aware of CyanogenMod. I studied about it for a while and finally tried a CM-12.1 installation. It was successful, and I was so impressed by the improvements that I told some Nook-owning friends about it. They quickly decided to do likewise and asked for instructions.

My friends and I are all retirees, so we have seven Saturdays a week to spend as we wish. I decided to spend a few of mine re-writing my notes into an instruction manual. As of today, September 25, 2015, there are eleven formerly stock Nook tablets whose beginner-owners have followed the instruction and successfully installed CM-12.1. Several of these are being regularly updated as revisions are released. No bricks have been cast so far.

During the study period I spent a lot of time on xda developers pages, and it eventually occurred to me that there might be other beginners who could make good use of Nook-specific instructions. So I am pleased to offer this manual to anyone interested, and hope it will save you some time and trouble.

The procedure uses the technique and boot files by @leapinlar. The ROM and TWRP zip files used are those created by @amaces. Profound thanks to these experts for their diligent work and generosity.

Below is a synopsis of the instructions. The complete PDF document is attached to this post.

This document will guide you through the steps of installing a pure modern version of the Android operating system on your Nook HD or Nook HD+ tablet. The installation is done from a bootable microSD card using the ClockWorkMod recovery utility to install the contents of zip files. This straightforward method does not require ADB or rooting the Nook. The result is CM-12.1 installed with basic Google apps and your choice of TWRP or CWM for your resident recovery utility.

There's room for improvement.
    If I could learn how to create a bootable microSD that would boot to TWRP instead of CWM the procedure could be reduced to four easy steps. I have found no help for this, and my own attempts have all failed. I would be most grateful for any help so I can update the instructions.
    I was able to root the stock to Android 7. But now I want to make sure I can go back. I now have Android 7 on there. But, I would like to be able to just take the SD card out and there the stock is.
    Properly ejected from my laptop, I put the SD card into my powered down Nook HD and fire her up. I backed up and restored the system to the external_sd. Did a factory wipe and reset, then I flashed my zips. Yadda yadda, and I now have Android 7.1.1. Otherwise classic old school procedure, but no stock... :\ Any tips on what I might do to do what you did to get stock to stay?
    To accomplish what you want requires a ROM build that was compiled to run off an SD card. The most recent version of Android OS for which there were such SD-based builds was v4.4.x (KitKat) dated circa 2013/2014 -- see https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2583952 or https://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/cm11-0-kitkat-android-4-4-2-for-nook-hd-xx-20dec2013/.
    Would you happen to know where to find a .rar file for TWRP 3.1.1 for humminbird and ovation?

I'm trying something somewhat experimental with my nook hd. I'm hoping to actually get Nougat on it by using TWRP (which, worst case cenario I can upgrade once I flash the earlier version) since CWM is phasing out. But use a more updated gapps and the Nougat file https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cek7xg5c...8Sa/cm_hummingbird-ota-NMF26Q.161222.zip?dl=0 from Mr.LarryQ on Wordpress here: https://nookhdplusandroid7.wordpress.com/2017/02/26/installing-android-7-on-a-nook-hd-for-free/

I'm not sure I understand your question, but it sounds like you want to install Nougat the hard way; by starting from Stock.

I can't help you with this, but please be aware that installing Nougat as provided by @amaces has never been easier. Following are the steps:

1. Download these files for Nook HD+ (Ovation)
    from this page:
    sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz, lnos_ovation-ota-NJH47F.171021.zip, twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip

Or these files for Nook HD (Hummingbird)
    from this page:
    sdcard-reco-hummingbird.img.xz, lnos_hummingbird-ota-NJH47F.171021.zip, twrp-3.0.1-0-hummingbird.zip

2. Download the current ARM 7.1 pico file and its MD5 checksum from opengaps.org. Since we're cramming a lot into limited storage, you might want to prepare a gapps-config file to include with your installation.

3. Use the - - - .img.xz file to build a bootable microSD card, using a card at least 1 gB capacity (I prefer 8 gB). This file is a compressed image that when decompressed and written onto the microSD card will make it bootable to TWRP. If you use a Linux desktop computer for this, use the archive manager to do the whole job with one click. If you are Windows-oriented you will have to first decompress it, then install the decompressed image onto the card. Sorry, I've never done this and can't provide instructions.

4. When the bootable microSD card is ready, drag and drop or otherwise copy the Inos, TWRP, and gapps zip files, the gapps MD5 file, and the gapps-config file onto it.

5. Eject the microSD card, mount it in your Nook, and power up. It will boot to TWRP. Follow the usual wipe and install procedure for zip files from the microSD card. The preferred order is Inos ---, TWRP---, and gapps---.

6. Post a reply to this post to let us all know how it worked for you.
    I'm trying to load CWM . . .
    And if you have suggestions for alternate procedures or ROMs, I'd be eager to hear it.

DrWu, my best guess is that the microSD card is not actually bootable. It can be tricky to arrange this, especially on a Windows system.
    You would be far better off now to install a LineageOS version of Nougat built specifically for the Nook HD (Hummingbird). I have not written any instructions for this but I assure you it is far easier than things were back in Lollipop days. It is especially easy if you happen to have a Linux desktop computer to build the microSD card. It can also be done under Windows, but I don't know the details for this.

You will need some files.
    Go to https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/folder/3332708110 and download three files, complements of Andrei Măceș:
    lnos-hummingbird-otaNJH4.170813.zip
    sdcard-reco-hummingbird.img.xz
    twrp-3.0.1-0-hummingbird.zip

Next get the latest gapps for ARM platform, Android 7.1, pico variant. While there also click the red MD5 CHECKSUM link to get the check file.

The procedure is as follows:
    1. Build the microSD card using the sdcard-reco-hummingbird.img.xz file. If using a Linux computer, such as Ubuntu, simply opening this compressed image file will bring up a utility to build the bootable card with a recovery image ready to use.

2. Then copy the remaining files (lnos, twrp, and the two files from OpenGapps .org onto the card.

That's it. Boot from the card into the TWRP recovery utility, wipe the tablet, install the zip files, and hope it goes better than before. Be aware that this unofficial version of LineageOS does have a few issues, but its the best available for the old Nooks.

Feel free to PM me if you have difficulty.

Pete
    I was able to root the stock to Android 7. But now I want to make sure I can go back. I now have Android 7 on there. But, I would like to be able to just take the SD card out and there the stock is. I'm just not really following on how it's done I guess. How did you do it? Can it be done with Android 7? It's not my first time doing this, like when I did CM11, I was able to use leapinlar's post to get back. But the SD card removal method would be so much easier, once it was set up. Plus, my husband would feel better if he could keep stock on his HD+, but have the option of a better system. Here's what I did do.

I know I'm way overthinking this, but, I guess it's what I know. Using my un-rooted stock Nook HD:

First I'm using this link file and extracting it, then dragging the MLO (first) to the SD card. Then I copy the other files that were unzipped.

Then I'm dragging Android 7 CM to the SD card still zipped.

Lastly I'm dragging the gapps 7.1-pico file down to the SD card along with any other zips that I might find useful, such as Unknown Sources and also TWRP 2.5 .rar zipped file.

Properly ejected from my laptop, I put the SD card into my powered down Nook HD and fire her up. I backed up and restored the system to the external_sd. Did a factory wipe and reset, then I flashed my zips. Yadda yadda, and I now have Android 7.1.1. Otherwise classic old school procedure, but no stock... :\ Any tips on what I might do to do what you did to get stock to stay?

First, you seem to be under the impression that the 7.1 OS is running from the SD card. That is not correct. The TWRP wipe/flash process removes stock entirely from your Nook's innards and substitutes Android 7.1. You should remove the SD card when the process is complete and put it somewhere safe. If you want to use an SD card to store data, etc., you need an additional one. The card you used to flash 7.1 is just for backing up, restoring, flashing new OS, etc.

If I understand you correctly you want to be able to boot into stock or 7.1 at will (from the SD card?). Such a thing is not possible. You can only have one operating system at a time and it's internal. If you want stock, you will need to go into TWRP, wipe out your 7.1 and restore the stock backup. If you want to go back to 7.1, you will have to repeat the procedure, wiping out stock and reflashing 7.1 (presumably from a backup). This is no way to live :eek:

Is there some reason you desperately want access to stock? Do you have a bunch of B&N purchased books you want to access? If that's the case, you can just install the Nook app on your 7.1 system, sign in, and all your books will be there. The only other advantage of stock I can think of is a working HDMI port, but if that's the issue you can install a CM 12.1 or CM 13 build that will still preserve that function and will be just as functional as 7.1

So why do you need/want stock so much?