Install CyanogenMod 12.1 on Barnes & Noble Nook HD or Nook HD+ in Five Easy Steps

Search This thread

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for your response. Sorry for my ignorance. These files will be very helpful, but if my nook is at stock now? I thought I needed the full .rar file to root from stock. I suppose I can root CM 12.1 the use amaces files on that. I thought I was taking a short cut. I guess not.
To root amaces' LNOS ROM, just flash the addonsu-xx.y-arm-zip file at https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww.
I can burn the .img file to the SD card using the method you've explained. But can I still return to stock? My main concern is that I want to make sure I have the ability to do so.
While in SD-card recovery, if you make a full back up of your stock ROM (onto the SD-card) before flashing custom ROM/GApps, then you should be able to boot into SD-card and restore stock ROM from this full backup.

Alternatively, you can go back to stock ROM using the leapinlar's stock ROM & recovery files at https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2062613. (You should check and make sure that the link to his files are still live).

Reactions: ST Dog

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
I can burn the .img file to the SD card using the method you've explained. But can I still return to stock? My main concern is that I want to make sure I have the ability to do so.

No need to root stock since the Nook HD will boot from an SD card.

Once you boot to recovery on the SD card you can access the whole tablet to back and/or flash.

I never rooted stock on my tablet.

In ran CM11 from the SD card for years before finally installing to emmc and moving to LN14.

If a SD install of LN14 ever existed I'd still be runing from SD.

Last edited:
Reactions: little callow kid
Aug 21, 2014
No need to root stock since the Nook HD will boot from an SD card.

Once you boot to recovery on the SD card you can access the whole tablet to back and/or flash.

I never rooted stock on my tablet.

In ran CM11 from the SD card for years before finally installing to emmc and moving to LN14.

If a SD install of LN15 ever existed I'd still be runing from SD.

I was able to root the stock to Android 7. But now I want to make sure I can go back. I now have Android 7 on there. But, I would like to be able to just take the SD card out and there the stock is. I'm just not really following on how it's done I guess. How did you do it? Can it be done with Android 7? It's not my first time doing this, like when I did CM11, I was able to use leapinlar's post to get back. But the SD card removal method would be so much easier, once it was set up. Plus, my husband would feel better if he could keep stock on his HD+, but have the option of a better system. Here's what I did do.

I know I'm way overthinking this, but, I guess it's what I know. Using my un-rooted stock Nook HD:

First I'm using this link file and extracting it, then dragging the MLO (first) to the SD card. Then I copy the other files that were unzipped.

Then I'm dragging Android 7 CM to the SD card still zipped.

Lastly I'm dragging the gapps 7.1-pico file down to the SD card along with any other zips that I might find useful, such as Unknown Sources and also TWRP 2.5 .rar zipped file.

Properly ejected from my laptop, I put the SD card into my powered down Nook HD and fire her up. I backed up and restored the system to the external_sd. Did a factory wipe and reset, then I flashed my zips. Yadda yadda, and I now have Android 7.1.1. Otherwise classic old school procedure, but no stock... :\ Any tips on what I might do to do what you did to get stock to stay?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I was able to root the stock to Android 7. But now I want to make sure I can go back. I now have Android 7 on there. But, I would like to be able to just take the SD card out and there the stock is. I'm just not really following on how it's done I guess. How did you do it? Can it be done with Android 7? It's not my first time doing this, like when I did CM11, I was able to use leapinlar's post to get back. But the SD card removal method would be so much easier, once it was set up. Plus, my husband would feel better if he could keep stock on his HD+, but have the option of a better system. Here's what I did do.

I know I'm way overthinking this, but, I guess it's what I know. Using my un-rooted stock Nook HD:

First I'm using this link file and extracting it, then dragging the MLO (first) to the SD card. Then I copy the other files that were unzipped.

Lastly I'm dragging the gapps 7.1-pico file down to the SD card along with any other zips that I might find useful, such as Unknown Sources and also TWRP 2.5 .rar zipped file.

Properly ejected from my laptop, I put the SD card into my powered down Nook HD and fire her up. I backed up and restored the system to the external_sd. Did a factory wipe and reset, then I flashed my zips. Yadda yadda, and I now have Android 7.1.1. Otherwise classic old school procedure, but no stock... :\ Any tips on what I might do to do what you did to get stock to stay?

First, you seem to be under the impression that the 7.1 OS is running from the SD card. That is not correct. The TWRP wipe/flash process removes stock entirely from your Nook's innards and substitutes Android 7.1. You should remove the SD card when the process is complete and put it somewhere safe. If you want to use an SD card to store data, etc., you need an additional one. The card you used to flash 7.1 is just for backing up, restoring, flashing new OS, etc.

If I understand you correctly you want to be able to boot into stock or 7.1 at will (from the SD card?). Such a thing is not possible. You can only have one operating system at a time and it's internal. If you want stock, you will need to go into TWRP, wipe out your 7.1 and restore the stock backup. If you want to go back to 7.1, you will have to repeat the procedure, wiping out stock and reflashing 7.1 (presumably from a backup). This is no way to live :eek:

Is there some reason you desperately want access to stock? Do you have a bunch of B&N purchased books you want to access? If that's the case, you can just install the Nook app on your 7.1 system, sign in, and all your books will be there. The only other advantage of stock I can think of is a working HDMI port, but if that's the issue you can install a CM 12.1 or CM 13 build that will still preserve that function and will be just as functional as 7.1

So why do you need/want stock so much?

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I was able to root the stock to Android 7. But now I want to make sure I can go back. I now have Android 7 on there. But, I would like to be able to just take the SD card out and there the stock is.
To accomplish what you want requires a ROM build that was compiled to run off an SD card. The most recent version of Android OS for which there were such SD-based builds was v4.4.x (KitKat) dated circa 2013/2014 -- see https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2583952 or https://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/cm11-0-kitkat-android-4-4-2-for-nook-hd-xx-20dec2013/.

Aug 21, 2014
To accomplish what you want requires a ROM build that was compiled to run off an SD card. The most recent version of Android OS for which there were such SD-based builds was v4.4.x (KitKat) dated circa 2013/2014 -- see https://xdaforums.com/sho....php?t=2583952 or https://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013...-xx-20dec2013/.

Thanks ST Dog, I knew I had been able to do it once. It was Kitkat. Sorry for the long posts.

If I understand you correctly you want to be able to boot into stock or 7.1 at will (from the sd card?). Such a thing is not possible. You can only have one operating system at a time. If you want stock, you will need to go into TWRP, wipe out your 7.1 and restore the stock backup. If you want to go back to 7.1, you will have to repeat the procedure, wiping out stock and reflashing 7.1 (presumably from a backup). This is no way to live :eek:

Is there some reason you desperately want access to stock? Do you have a bunch of B&N purchased books you want to access? If that's the case, you can just install the Nook app on your 7.1 system, sign in, and all your books will be there. The only other advantage of stock I can think of is a working HDMI port, but if that's the issue you can install a CM 12.1 or CM 13 build that will still preserve that function and will be just as functional as 7.1

I have apps in the Barnes & Nobel App store that I have paid for that I don't want to pay for again in Google, mainly. Still trying to figure out if it's possible to sideload them. So far I haven't been able to find a reliable APK that has them. I was able to do get it all set up so that I can go back to stock reliably. I can't, for the life of me, use TWRP or CWM to go back to stock (via backup or using the plain stock files) when the recovery program is on the internal memory. Doing it from the bootable SD card works like a charm however and I'm pretty satisfied with my comfort with that method. But there's a part of me that is a little OCD as to why it doesn't work on the internal recovery program. Whatev' I guess. As long as there aren't any drawbacks for the internal recovery program not being able to boot it back to stock. Maybe it will help people for me to share how to do it on here now that I've figured it out. Just afraid it might be redundant.

Last edited:

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
Don't think there's much hope to get from the B&N store to newer ROM.
Unless you can fond a version if the B&M app stone app that works on 3rd party ROMs. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that, not even for CM10.

K'd just bite the bullet and forget/repurchase those apps.

Stick with the N ROM you like.

I think there was an option at option point to run the B&N ROM from an SD card. If you can find the thread/files that night help you.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Found it
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2330083

You may have to create your own images though.

pernat

Mar 24, 2019
I'm not sure I understand your question, but it sounds like you want to install Nougat the hard way; by starting from Stock.

I can't help you with this, but please be aware that installing Nougat as provided by @amaces has never been easier. Following are the steps:

1. Download these files for Nook HD+ (Ovation)

sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz, lnos_ovation-ota-NJH47F.171021.zip, twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip

Or these files for Nook HD (Hummingbird)

sdcard-reco-hummingbird.img.xz, lnos_hummingbird-ota-NJH47F.171021.zip, twrp-3.0.1-0-hummingbird.zip

2. Download the current ARM 7.1 pico file and its MD5 checksum from. Since we're cramming a lot into limited storage, you might want to prepare ato include with your installation.

3. Use the - - - .img.xz file to build a bootable microSD card, using a card at least 1 gB capacity (I prefer 8 gB). This file is a compressed image that when decompressed and written onto the microSD card will make it bootable to TWRP. If you use a Linux desktop computer for this, use the archive manager to do the whole job with one click. If you are Windows-oriented you will have to first decompress it, then install the decompressed image onto the card. Sorry, I've never done this and can't provide instructions.

4. When the bootable microSD card is ready, drag and drop or otherwise copy the Inos, TWRP, and gapps zip files, the gapps MD5 file, and the gapps-config file onto it.

5. Eject the microSD card, mount it in your Nook, and power up. It will boot to TWRP. Follow the usual wipe and install procedure for zip files from the microSD card. The preferred order is Inos ---, TWRP---, and gapps---.

6. Post a reply to this post to let us all know how it worked for you.

Hi,

Sorry, I'm new to this, and would like to ask a few questions, if you don't mind. Forgive me if slip into idiocy at any point. :D

I have a Nook HD+, still with ROM it came with, or "stock" as I believe it's called, and I'm just debating whether to try installing CM12.1, as instructed in the first post of this thread, or jump straight to trying this, as I know CM12.1's getting a little long in the tooth, I think, based on Android 5 (5.1?).

Can I use this technique to go straight from stock to "Nougat", or is there an interim step? Is this just as easy as installing CM12.1, or would you recommend should I stick to the first post if I'm a "N00b"?

You say this will install Nougat on my Nook. Is it the standard version of Nougat, or is it the LineagoOS port/variant? (which, incidentally, I don't have any issue with, and might even prefer)

"Download the current ARM 7.1 pico file" that's the standard ARM version I need, not ARM64, isn't it? (I'm not exactly sure if the Nook has a 32 or 64bit chip in it, to be honest :eek:)

Thanks for any help.

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
You say this will install Nougat on my Nook. Is it the standard version of Nougat, or is it the LineagoOS port/variant? (which, incidentally, I don't have any issue with, and might even prefer)

You can go straight to N.
The files mentioned in the post you quoted are for Lineage.
The Nook CPU is 32bit.

Last edited:

snartfan

Jun 9, 2009
Is there anyone still reading this thread? :)

NOOK HD+ Question
: Does the HDMI-out function work in ANY recent builds?

I ask because I remember hearing the HDMI adapter wasn't working in Android7/CM14 but it was working in Android5.1/CM12.1

purenoise

Feb 27, 2015
Did install Android 7, but even slimmed-down gaps-pico
was not able to get flashed.
Now thinking about resizing partitions, is it possible ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Want to try Nougat on your Nook HD+ or HD?
    Installing Nougat has never been easier. Procedure described in post 239 of this thread.

Development for unofficial CM-12.1 for Nook HD and Nook HD+ has ceased.
    The author @amaces has moved on to Marshmallow (Android 6), and the zip files for these progressive releases are what you now see at the collaboration link. If you wish to install CM-12.1 look instead through the pages of his "obsolete" folder for "cm-12.1-20151018" and "twrp-2.8.7.4" final releases. CWM should install these properly but later versions are likely to fail due to deficiencies in the CWM recovery utility.

Better yet try the latest Marshmallow and TWRP versions. For this you must create a new bootable microSD card using these files provided by @belfastraven and the downloaded zip files "cm_hummingbird-ota-MHC19Q.160407.zip" and "twrp-3.0.1-0-hummingbird.zip". These versions may advance by the time you happen to do this. The procedure is the same as described in the .pdf guide for CM-12.1, except with the new files.

And use a current GApps file for the ARM platform, Android 6.0 from http://opengapps.org/.

This is a detailed tutorial for beginners. Seasoned users may find it overly verbose.

My toy box contains some Nook HD and Nook HD+ tablets, and I recently became aware of CyanogenMod. I studied about it for a while and finally tried a CM-12.1 installation. It was successful, and I was so impressed by the improvements that I told some Nook-owning friends about it. They quickly decided to do likewise and asked for instructions.

My friends and I are all retirees, so we have seven Saturdays a week to spend as we wish. I decided to spend a few of mine re-writing my notes into an instruction manual. As of today, September 25, 2015, there are eleven formerly stock Nook tablets whose beginner-owners have followed the instruction and successfully installed CM-12.1. Several of these are being regularly updated as revisions are released. No bricks have been cast so far.

During the study period I spent a lot of time on xda developers pages, and it eventually occurred to me that there might be other beginners who could make good use of Nook-specific instructions. So I am pleased to offer this manual to anyone interested, and hope it will save you some time and trouble.

The procedure uses the technique and boot files by @leapinlar. The ROM and TWRP zip files used are those created by @amaces. Profound thanks to these experts for their diligent work and generosity.

Below is a synopsis of the instructions. The complete PDF document is attached to this post.

This document will guide you through the steps of installing a pure modern version of the Android operating system on your Nook HD or Nook HD+ tablet. The installation is done from a bootable microSD card using the ClockWorkMod recovery utility to install the contents of zip files. This straightforward method does not require ADB or rooting the Nook. The result is CM-12.1 installed with basic Google apps and your choice of TWRP or CWM for your resident recovery utility.

There's room for improvement.
    If I could learn how to create a bootable microSD that would boot to TWRP instead of CWM the procedure could be reduced to four easy steps. I have found no help for this, and my own attempts have all failed. I would be most grateful for any help so I can update the instructions.
    I was able to root the stock to Android 7. But now I want to make sure I can go back. I now have Android 7 on there. But, I would like to be able to just take the SD card out and there the stock is.
    To accomplish what you want requires a ROM build that was compiled to run off an SD card. The most recent version of Android OS for which there were such SD-based builds was v4.4.x (KitKat) dated circa 2013/2014 -- see https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2583952 or https://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/cm11-0-kitkat-android-4-4-2-for-nook-hd-xx-20dec2013/.
    Would you happen to know where to find a .rar file for TWRP 3.1.1 for humminbird and ovation?

I'm trying something somewhat experimental with my nook hd. I'm hoping to actually get Nougat on it by using TWRP (which, worst case cenario I can upgrade once I flash the earlier version) since CWM is phasing out. But use a more updated gapps and the Nougat file https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cek7xg5c...8Sa/cm_hummingbird-ota-NMF26Q.161222.zip?dl=0 from Mr.LarryQ on Wordpress here: https://nookhdplusandroid7.wordpress.com/2017/02/26/installing-android-7-on-a-nook-hd-for-free/

I'm not sure I understand your question, but it sounds like you want to install Nougat the hard way; by starting from Stock.

I can't help you with this, but please be aware that installing Nougat as provided by @amaces has never been easier. Following are the steps:

1. Download these files for Nook HD+ (Ovation)
    from this page:
    sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz, lnos_ovation-ota-NJH47F.171021.zip, twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip

Or these files for Nook HD (Hummingbird)
    from this page:
    sdcard-reco-hummingbird.img.xz, lnos_hummingbird-ota-NJH47F.171021.zip, twrp-3.0.1-0-hummingbird.zip

2. Download the current ARM 7.1 pico file and its MD5 checksum from opengaps.org. Since we're cramming a lot into limited storage, you might want to prepare a gapps-config file to include with your installation.

3. Use the - - - .img.xz file to build a bootable microSD card, using a card at least 1 gB capacity (I prefer 8 gB). This file is a compressed image that when decompressed and written onto the microSD card will make it bootable to TWRP. If you use a Linux desktop computer for this, use the archive manager to do the whole job with one click. If you are Windows-oriented you will have to first decompress it, then install the decompressed image onto the card. Sorry, I've never done this and can't provide instructions.

4. When the bootable microSD card is ready, drag and drop or otherwise copy the Inos, TWRP, and gapps zip files, the gapps MD5 file, and the gapps-config file onto it.

5. Eject the microSD card, mount it in your Nook, and power up. It will boot to TWRP. Follow the usual wipe and install procedure for zip files from the microSD card. The preferred order is Inos ---, TWRP---, and gapps---.

6. Post a reply to this post to let us all know how it worked for you.
    I'm trying to load CWM . . .
    And if you have suggestions for alternate procedures or ROMs, I'd be eager to hear it.

DrWu, my best guess is that the microSD card is not actually bootable. It can be tricky to arrange this, especially on a Windows system.
    You would be far better off now to install a LineageOS version of Nougat built specifically for the Nook HD (Hummingbird). I have not written any instructions for this but I assure you it is far easier than things were back in Lollipop days. It is especially easy if you happen to have a Linux desktop computer to build the microSD card. It can also be done under Windows, but I don't know the details for this.

You will need some files.
    Go to https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/folder/3332708110 and download three files, complements of Andrei Măceș:
    lnos-hummingbird-otaNJH4.170813.zip
    sdcard-reco-hummingbird.img.xz
    twrp-3.0.1-0-hummingbird.zip

Next get the latest gapps for ARM platform, Android 7.1, pico variant. While there also click the red MD5 CHECKSUM link to get the check file.

The procedure is as follows:
    1. Build the microSD card using the sdcard-reco-hummingbird.img.xz file. If using a Linux computer, such as Ubuntu, simply opening this compressed image file will bring up a utility to build the bootable card with a recovery image ready to use.

2. Then copy the remaining files (lnos, twrp, and the two files from OpenGapps .org onto the card.

That's it. Boot from the card into the TWRP recovery utility, wipe the tablet, install the zip files, and hope it goes better than before. Be aware that this unofficial version of LineageOS does have a few issues, but its the best available for the old Nooks.

Feel free to PM me if you have difficulty.

Pete

First, you seem to be under the impression that the 7.1 OS is running from the SD card. That is not correct. The TWRP wipe/flash process removes stock entirely from your Nook's innards and substitutes Android 7.1. You should remove the SD card when the process is complete and put it somewhere safe. If you want to use an SD card to store data, etc., you need an additional one. The card you used to flash 7.1 is just for backing up, restoring, flashing new OS, etc.

If I understand you correctly you want to be able to boot into stock or 7.1 at will (from the SD card?). Such a thing is not possible. You can only have one operating system at a time and it's internal. If you want stock, you will need to go into TWRP, wipe out your 7.1 and restore the stock backup. If you want to go back to 7.1, you will have to repeat the procedure, wiping out stock and reflashing 7.1 (presumably from a backup). This is no way to live :eek: