• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Install magisk

Search This thread

Snusious

Aug 14, 2020
Hello, noob when it comes to rooted phones here. I'm interested in getting magisk on my phone and would like to ask about the how to.

I see that from v22 the installation process is updated, but is there any downside to doing it the old custom recovery way? That way just seems much easier/faster compared to patching images with adb and fastboot.
* Full disclosure not really sure what "Starting from v22.0, the Magisk app (renamed from Magisk Manager) includes everything it needs within the APK itself, making installation a 100% offline process." is compared to without custom recovery before.

I have twrp and am currently on eu stable v12.5.10, downloading v12.5.11 as I write this.

Phone is Mi 11 Pro

Thanks!

jons99

Nov 5, 2019
Hello, noob when it comes to rooted phones here. I'm interested in getting magisk on my phone and would like to ask about the how to.

I see that from v22 the installation process is updated, but is there any downside to doing it the old custom recovery way? That way just seems much easier/faster compared to patching images with adb and fastboot.
* Full disclosure not really sure what "Starting from v22.0, the Magisk app (renamed from Magisk Manager) includes everything it needs within the APK itself, making installation a 100% offline process." is compared to without custom recovery before.

I have twrp and am currently on eu stable v12.5.10, downloading v12.5.11 as I write this.

Phone is Mi 11 Pro

Thanks!
just add .zip to the magisk apk and flash in twrp like you would old magisk

Reactions: Snusious

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
While somewhat true, most of things, like recording phone calls, theming, dark mode, wifi boosting by doubling band width and even ram/swap files, as well as, many other features that we would root our phones for, are nowadays in stock roms.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
Yes many are available, even debloating using adb, still rooting allows you to modify your system without using any PC and take control over it

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
I'm aware of the things it can still do, but there are many real performance tweaks anymore. Most stock roms are fast and smooth, due to all the ram and faster SoCs and GPUs, so there really isn't a need for overclocking or memory extenders (swap files) and theming with dark mode is available in almost every rom and you can disable any app via ADB, if need be. Not a huge need anymore.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
On this I agree, at the beginning I wasn't sure to root it too, but still to debloat systemlessly and run commands with terminal I need it

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
You can debloat/disable via ADB command's without root. Also the way many phones are configured these days, you can't remove or delete many items within the system partition, thereby limiting your debloat capabilities.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Phone is Mi 11 Pro

Thanks!
    just add .zip to the magisk apk and flash in twrp like you would old magisk
    Thanks yeah that's what I wanted. Just asking for possible downsides since the installation guide on github suggests the patch image method.
    it's all the same flash in twrp there's no downside
    For me no root no party, root a phone is mandatory