install only Market app after CyanogenMod-6 rom

Search This thread

anika200

Jul 27, 2010
Maryland
Is it possible to just extract and install Only the Google Market app from the gapps-mdpi-20100816-signed zip file. It does not seem likely to work but I thought I would ask anyway.

It is a real bummer trying to buy apps from developers when you have no access to the apk files. Not to mention the apps I already purchased and now I have to figure out how to contact the dev and get a copy. Should have backed up my individual apps, lesson learned.

anika200

Jul 27, 2010
Maryland
Yea I just tried installing Vending.apk and MarketUpdate and they do not work. The market app shows up but fails to launch. This is a serious flaw with this rom unless I am missing something. How is every one putting apps on their phone? For example Evernote or any of the other apps that are only accessible via the market?

ioft

Aug 14, 2010
Is it possible to just extract and install Only the Google Market app from the gapps-mdpi-20100816-signed zip file. It does not seem likely to work but I thought I would ask anyway.

It is a real bummer trying to buy apps from developers when you have no access to the apk files. Not to mention the apps I already purchased and now I have to figure out how to contact the dev and get a copy. Should have backed up my individual apps, lesson learned.

I removed the apps I didn't want from the zip and then installed via clockwork.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App

anika200

Jul 27, 2010
Maryland
Thanks for the reply and it was a good idea, unfortunately it did not work for me. I have no idea why. I finally resorted to installing the whole gapps package and that worked. It would be nice to get this figured out.
When I removed various apps from the zip and re-zipped the recovery did not seem to want to install it properly. As a test to see if it was installing I added maps in addition to the market and niether were installed on reboot. I may reflash and try again, It bothers me to have those extra apps hanging around. I think it may be important to have the firstrun stuff (OnetimeInitilizer) on there but I am not sure.

Any more ideas?

ioft

Aug 14, 2010
Thanks for the reply and it was a good idea, unfortunately it did not work for me. I have no idea why. I finally resorted to installing the whole gapps package and that worked. It would be nice to get this figured out.
When I removed various apps from the zip and re-zipped the recovery did not seem to want to install it properly. As a test to see if it was installing I added maps in addition to the market and niether were installed on reboot. I may reflash and try again, It bothers me to have those extra apps hanging around. I think it may be important to have the firstrun stuff (OnetimeInitilizer) on there but I am not sure.

Any more ideas?

Install the gapps package, then remove the apps you don't want via adb. After removing them, clear dalvik cache and that will remove the dex files no longer in use and free up the space.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735255 explains how to remove with adb, if you need the info.

Last edited:

anika200

Jul 27, 2010
Maryland
ahh yes, that method works good thanks. I quess wiping the dalvik cache takes the place of the "pm uninstall *.apk /data/system/packages.xml" on 2.2 devices.