Installing apk files - App not installed? ???

Search This thread

heavymagik

Apr 15, 2012
Bristol
Hi all, bare with me, i hope this is in the correct place as have searched and cant find a thing. Just come from an iphone to samsung note so be gentle..

I am trying to install. Apk files from several locations , phone memory, sd card, network..

But i keep receiving "App not installed." Message 99% of the time, every now and then it will work, but i have no idea whats going on please help.

I am running stock 2.3.6 gingerbread, unrooted as that wont work either :/
:mad:

Using XDA Premium (GT-N7000)

genehtc

Nov 5, 2008
Silay City
To manually install an app, you'll need root access. Try asking in the q&a forum for your specific device for help with that.

After you've gotten root access (however you do it), copy the .apk to /system/app (you can use a adb, a terminal emulator, or a third party file manager to do this)

Then, change the permissions on the file to so that owner, group, and users all have read and write (but not execute) permissions (that's 644 if you're using chmod)

Here's a link that explains how to manually install an app contained in taskmanager.apk
http://yagyagaire.blogspot.com/2012/03/task-manager-for-cm-rom-on-gt-s5570.html

If you read the explanations (after the he steps you through the process) it's easy to apply this same process to any other .apk no matter where it's stored.

Thanks. It worked.

bchooker

Mar 25, 2014
I'm just trying to install an HTC flashlight app on my HTC One. I tried installing the app from my old HTC phone and even getting the One app online, but it will not install. Always tells me "app not installed." I'm using ES File Explorer and I've tried copying it to System/App and installing it from the downloads folder. Anyone know how to get it to install???

Last edited:

adam neal

Aug 12, 2010
I hate to sound like an idiot, but I have no idea how to do that...I don't know haedly anything aboit that stuff. It shouldn't be this hard to get a measly flashlight app

have you tried the "Brightest Flashlight Free" from the playstore?

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

I'm just trying to install an HTC flashlight app on my HTC One. I tried installing the app from my old HTC phone and even getting the One app online, but it will not install. Always tells me "app not installed." I'm using ES File Explorer and I've tried copying it to System/App and installing it from the downloads folder. Anyone know how to get it to install???

if you've pasted it to system/app, then you need to set permissions to rw-r--r--. i think it will work only if your device is rooted.
try the flashlight from here if you like :)

brannondean09

Mar 1, 2011
Dallas TX
A

have you tried the "Brightest Flashlight Free" from the playstore?

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

if you've pasted it to system/app, then you need to set permissions to rw-r--r--. i think it will work only if your device is rooted.
try the flashlight from here if you like :)

That is because the flash light you are trying to install is a system app so...

A. System apps unlike most regular apps have resources that are scattered throughout the operating system.
B. If you are running a stock operating system there is a good chance that is already installed and therefore will not install a second time.

Hope this answers your question.

adam neal

Aug 12, 2010
That is because the flash light you are trying to install is a system app so...

A. System apps unlike most regular apps have resources that are scattered throughout the operating system.
B. If you are running a stock operating system there is a good chance that is already installed and therefore will not install a second time.

Hope this answers your question.

nope buddy, i mean not for me but for bchooker maybe now he knows :good:

BlazingBullets

Nov 12, 2014
i got a quick easy solution

I had ROM toolbox installed and set my install location to SD card. So i changed it back to AUTO and it works great now. Hope i helped :)

EDIT: it might be another app, or even just you set it like that in your settings (should be in apps or storage i think)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gggggas

VipiN'n'DroiD

Feb 28, 2011
Bangalore
To manually install an app, you'll need root access. Try asking in the q&a forum for your specific device for help with that.

After you've gotten root access (however you do it), copy the .apk to /system/app (you can use a adb, a terminal emulator, or a third party file manager to do this)

Then, change the permissions on the file to so that owner, group, and users all have read and write (but not execute) permissions (that's 644 if you're using chmod)

Here's a link that explains how to manually install an app contained in taskmanager.apk

If you read the explanations (after the he steps you through the process) it's easy to apply this same process to any other .apk no matter where it's stored.

Well, tbh I've been trying to install a mod game apk .. but facing the same issue here "app not installed" .. I've tried every method I could.

1. Almost uninstalled every app .. which I suspect could make a problem to install it, well that hurts .. :crying:
2. Signed the app .. and then install it
3. Tried in Default system DPI ie. 320.
4. Pasting it to the system/app and changing the permission to 644 ..
5. Cleared the data/data for the residue or junks remained :(
6. Clearing the Play Store Data & Force close it , reboob several times :rolleyes:

& yeah .. every attempt was done with the Unknown Sources Checked !!
and worst part is the app is not broken .. it will install without a hassle in BLUESTACKS .. atm I didn't have anyother android phone to check.

I am running Android 5.0.2 .. and app is totally compatible with it. I've downloaded from Playstore & played it for few mins .. then uninstalled to install modded version, which never worked out.. and I made sure that the game version in Playstore is same as I've downloaded.

So something I didn't try .. or something I am missing here :(

Someone who can help me please .. I want to play this game with the mod so BADLY !!!!

ax3n5a

Mar 26, 2015
Bhopal
if your mobile is rooted you can try to open lucky patcher and just keep it opened
after some time it will give you a notification about a file which the app has deleted
dont worry it wont delete any important file
now try to install that app again
it will most probably work

Please perss thanks button 'It helps me a lot :)

Reactions: jeppooo921

d3iu

May 3, 2014
Mumbai
Well, tbh I've been trying to install a mod game apk .. but facing the same issue here "app not installed" .. I've tried every method I could.

1. Almost uninstalled every app .. which I suspect could make a problem to install it, well that hurts .. :crying:
2. Signed the app .. and then install it
3. Tried in Default system DPI ie. 320.
4. Pasting it to the system/app and changing the permission to 644 ..
5. Cleared the data/data for the residue or junks remained :(
6. Clearing the Play Store Data & Force close it , reboob several times :rolleyes:

& yeah .. every attempt was done with the Unknown Sources Checked !!
and worst part is the app is not broken .. it will install without a hassle in BLUESTACKS .. atm I didn't have anyother android phone to check.

I am running Android 5.0.2 .. and app is totally compatible with it. I've downloaded from Playstore & played it for few mins .. then uninstalled to install modded version, which never worked out.. and I made sure that the game version in Playstore is same as I've downloaded.

So something I didn't try .. or something I am missing here :(

Someone who can help me please .. I want to play this game with the mod so BADLY !!!!

i am having this same problem ...did you find a solution to this?:crying:

Jun 1, 2014
Installing apk files - App not installed? ??? - also

i am having this same problem ...did you find a solution to this?:crying:

Recently rebuilt an SPH-D710 with a fresh, clean install of CM (latest).
Ran Titanium Backup to restore some apps. They all went back in without a hitch except QR Droid Private, which just gave the "App Not Installed" error.
So, I downloaded the APK from the play store, and tried to install it by triggering it from the file manager. Same error.
So, I downloaded the "non-private" version of the app, tried that. Same error.
About another dozen apps downloaded the same way went in without a hitch. It's only this one that refuses to install.

Allow apps to be installed from unknown sources: Checked.

I followed the instructions earlier in the thread and just copied the apk directly into /data/app (not /system/app btw - all other user-installed apps are already in /data/app, not /system/app - /system/app only has SYSTEM apps); fixed the permissions, rebooted. QR Droid is nowhere to be seen.

Just in case I am wrong, I moved the apk over into /system/app, permissions checked, rebooted. Still bumpkiss.

I am at a loss here. It's just this one app that's causing a problem. I'd not care except that it gets used almost daily.

Jun 1, 2014
Core Issue Unresolved, Symptomatic Issue Deprecated

The issue of one app refusing to install remains unresolved,

but,

I found a better QR reader, so "emergency" abated.

I'd still like to know what the problem was.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
The issue of one app refusing to install remains unresolved,

but,

I found a better QR reader, so "emergency" abated.

I'd still like to know what the problem was.

QR Droid Private has not been updated since july 13, well before android 6 was released, and what cm13 is. im assuming thats what you have when you say "latest". its possible, its not compatible with 6.0 and/or cm 13 yet.

if thats not the case, i have no idea why its not installing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i got a quick easy solution

I had ROM toolbox installed and set my install location to SD card. So i changed it back to AUTO and it works great now. Hope i helped :)

EDIT: it might be another app, or even just you set it like that in your settings (should be in apps or storage i think)
    if your mobile is rooted you can try to open lucky patcher and just keep it opened
    after some time it will give you a notification about a file which the app has deleted
    dont worry it wont delete any important file
    now try to install that app again
    it will most probably work

Please perss thanks button 'It helps me a lot :)