Installing CWM on Captivate 2.1-update

Search This thread

TheWhiteBandito

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
Trying to get CWM installed (to eventually get CM7 installed) on my friend's Captivate running stock 2.1-update1 to no avail. We have it rooted, we have ROM manager installed, but no matter what I do when it comes to flashing a recovery, it does not work. When I go to flash the update.zip, it says file is not found because it doesn't seem to be downloading anything at all. Any help?

EDIT: I think I got it, might have just been selecting the wrong option.....

Last edited:

capocaccia

Mar 16, 2011
Oxford
If it doesn't work then try this. This will work. Btw rom manager does not play nice with captivates. I would not suggest it.

Download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?ve234hbg64ctcu0

Then follow these instructions.

step 4: Install clockwork recovery.

1. Go to the download folder and rename clockworkrecovery.zip to update.zip. Mount your phone and drag the update.zip file into the root directory. It is ok to overwrite the update.zip you used before. When it is done copying turn off your phone.

2. Unplug your phone and hold down both volume buttons and the power button until a strange menu with blue items pops up. This is called the recovery menu.

3. Scroll using the volume buttons to the menu item titled "reinstall packages" and press the power button to select. (you may have to do this twice to get it to work)

4. Your phone should restart and you should be at a green menu.

Reactions: SanFrancisco

TheWhiteBandito

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
If it doesn't work then try this. This will work. Btw rom manager does not play nice with captivates. I would not suggest it.

1. Go to the download folder and rename clockworkrecovery.zip to update.zip. Mount your phone and drag the update.zip file into the root directory. It is ok to overwrite the update.zip you used before. When it is done copying turn off your phone.

2. Unplug your phone and hold down both volume buttons and the power button until a strange menu with blue items pops up. This is called the recovery menu.

3. Scroll using the volume buttons to the menu item titled "reinstall packages" and press the power button to select. (you may have to do this twice to get it to work)

yeah we got it to work but thank you so very much for your instructions. My friend is basically amazed at the speed and flexibility of CM7 over that Eclair bloated it piece of garbage the stock rom is.

SanFrancisco

May 24, 2009
San Francisco
www.rantuniverse.com
Wow... This Worked in July 2013

I pulled an old Captivate from the drawer that has Android 2.1-update (Eclair) on it and could not for the life of me recall how to get CWM Recovery so I can start installing some later ROMS.

The method you provided worked. Downloaded that file, put it into the phone's internal memory, root directory, changed name to update.zip, got into Samsung recovery, and on the SECOND try it installed CWM recovery.

Thanks.

nespid

Oct 21, 2008
Kearny, NJ
I have cwm 6.0.3.6 installed. CWM website says 2.0.5.2 (or something close to that) is only available recovery.

How did I end up with 6.0.3.6? And should I flash 2.x.x.x?

Running 10.2 nightly.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have cwm 6.0.3.6 installed.

You don't need to flash anything.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone