Installing forbidden apps, apk's and even Root Samsung Knox protected phones (Rooting still trips Knox warrenty)

Search This thread

aartvanes

Aug 11, 2022
Not sure where to post this exactly as I didn't find any Samsung Generic thread. So: if this is going to be moved somewhere else that's fine. The backdoor I found should be working on any Samsung device running Android 12 with Samsung Knox 3.8 protection I suppose.

I've been trying to root a Samsung Galaxy S10 device which is running on Android 12, Version One UI 4.1 and with active Knox 3.8 protection.

Certain apps from the app store such as Magisk are protected from downloading, APK installation has also been disabled. I've searched the internet extensively for a solution to bypass Knox protection, but I couldn't find it anywhere. At least not for the latest (May '22?) version of Knox, combined with Android 12. So I started to fiddle around a bit myself with the settings and options you get when factory resetting your phone, before you start the configuration/installation.

The backdoor I found worked as follows

1) Factory Reset the phone
2) When the phone starts up for the first time, you can select 'Accessibility'
3) Select 'Contact us'
4) Go to 'Samsung Members'
5) from there, go to 'Settings'
6) Select 'About Samsung Members'
7) Click on the 'information icon'
8) Select 'Application Information in Store'

From there you're ready to browse the internet, install any app or APK you want without triggering KNOX as KNOX didn't activate yet on the phone.

I managed to install Magisk, and I completely rooted my phone.

Now the only thing I haven't been able to achieve is to completely get rid of Knox, even though my phone is rooted and I can basically do anything I want with the phone. Knox just doesn't uninstall. So, if anyone uses my backdoor to root their Samsung device and from there manages to really get rid of Knox (Knox Enrollment Service) I would be grateful to get that information also.

I hope this helps more people.

Last edited:

aartvanes

Aug 11, 2022
Screenshot_20220811-174121_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20220811-174243.jpgScreenshot_20220811-174305.jpgScreenshot_20220811-174311.jpg

"Evidence of the crime" would be welcome.

Does this suffice?

Last edited by a moderator:

aartvanes

Aug 11, 2022
For now, we can't see if you have the knox flag intact.

Check if you can run "Secure Folder".
Hi, the secure folder isn't there. I don't know if it might has to to with the fact that I removed all Knox services successfully as super user, but the only one that I still cannot remove is Knox Enrollment Service.

So: the phone is rooted (as I showed), which Knox normally prohibits. The next hurdle though is to block or remove Knox Enrollment Service as well. This should be possible as I have SU access, but I haven't found a way yet...

edit: if your question is about the Warranty Void: yes, this got triggered. Knox knows the phone is rooted, which is fine for me. The sole purpose was to root the phone. The problem was that I couldn't root the phone at all because of Knox. I couldn't get Super User Access, Couldn't install Magisk and get Bootloader Access, and I couldn't install APK's. The backdoor fixed this for me. Now my step 2 is to get Knox completely stopped or removed... :)

Last edited:

aartvanes

Aug 11, 2022
So now change the thread title as it is misleading.
You haven't done any knox bypass but just rooted your phone which means knox has disabled the phone's security features and many samsung features have stopped working.
I can do that, but I don't fully agree though.

I managed to install blacklisted applications from the app store as well as from APK downloads on a Knox Secured phone, which normally is impossible (you can verify). I could do so without tripping Knox, with the method I described: factory reset the phone, and then installing stuff before Knox even becomes active. After this was done (so i.e. installing Magisk) I configured the phone normally. Knox was active, but didn't notice the newly installed (and forbidden) apps.

Only then I tripped Knox as I started the Rooting process using Magisk, which always causes Knox to detect the phone has been rooted.

So maybe you're right, and the title should be something like 'installing apps, apk's and even Root Samsung Knox protected phones (But rooting still trips Knox warrenty)'.

Still this might be useful to people I guess, for people with Samsung Knox protected or locked phones looking for help.

meric57

Oct 2, 2017
Oeutrange
Samsung Galaxy Tab E
Hello aartvanes, as said Blackhawk Knox and an integrated program from Samsung to their program. .so if you say root you lose your guarantee yes even if you root it is not yet guaranteed Knox 0x1 or instead of 0x0. . I have. unrooted my S10 and unlocked the bootloader, so the root stays in the S10, which is why I had to do the rooting again.

ZmisiS

Dec 23, 2011
Livno
I don't understand what the trick is. I rooted my device like everyone here who rooted their device. I installed all the apps I wanted. After unlocking the bootloader, Secure Folder no longer works.

I didn't even try to delete Knox because I don't know because of the bank account. I use Bitdefender Security for protection.

I don't think Knox is worth anything to me after rooting.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I don't understand what the trick is. I rooted my device like everyone here who rooted their device. I installed all the apps I wanted. After unlocking the bootloader, Secure Folder no longer works.

I didn't even try to delete Knox because I don't know because of the bank account. I use Bitdefender Security for protection.

I don't think Knox is worth anything to me after rooting.
Rooting trips the Knox hardware efuse.

Personally I run stock N10+'s and never touch the firmware unless I absolutely have too. Don't even update it. Zero issues running like this.
Lol, I feel a lot safer flashing PC bios or a Canon camera firmware than Android firmware.

oloco2

Jul 11, 2011
Hi ZMisis,

How did you manage to remove knox? I own a A40 but it always ask me to enroll the device before being abl to start the phone desktop. I don't care if I loose warranty.

Thank you in advance

ZmisiS

Dec 23, 2011
Livno
On my Samsung Galaxy S10, SM-G973F, Android 12, I rooted Android with Magisk. I installed System app remover. In System app remover I select applications which I want remove, click on Uninstall, reboot phone with Root Essentials, in Root Essentials select Rebooter > Reboot Recovery, System reboot and selected applications are removed and root is here.

Mr Hassan

Feb 14, 2016
OnePlus 10 Pro
So if you want to remove knox enl
And want to use 100% your device without any issue
You're free to ON OFF or use net or factory reset without any issue. until you update via pc
Then pm

oloco2

Jul 11, 2011
Thank you very much for your reply.

My doubt is how did you manage to install magisk. As far as I know, you need to install it from a twrp, or, installing apk. But if you install it from apk, you need to choose a file to patch inside the filesystem. Am I forgeting something important? I'm stuck in this step.

Thank you very much again

Regards

oloco2

Jul 11, 2011
Some more steps I did:

I installed magisk and I patched the original boot.img

As my phone has knox enabled, I'm not able to access to developer options and enable/disable OEM nor to enable ADB... so I think I have no way to install twrp nor to unlock bootloader.

Any other idea, please?

Thank you

ZmisiS

Dec 23, 2011
Livno
For stock ROM I patched AP file with Magisk. With Knock I not have problems. I Installed stock ROM with Odin.

oloco2

Jul 11, 2011
Thank you for your reply.

So, if I understand, you were able to enable OEM and adb debugging, because knox was not preventing from enabling them, right?

I need to find a way to disable knox enrollment in order to follow all your steps.

Thanks

Regards

Top Liked Posts