Installing GAPPs suite on Honor 9 (Chinese Version) - NO ROOT NECESSARY

Search This thread

battilory

Mar 27, 2017
Hello alL,

I come to bring you good news. I have managed to install google play store and other Google Apps on the Chinese version of the Honor 9 (WITHOUT ROOT).

For anyone wondering, here are the steps.

1 - Download this file to your Honor 9.

2 - Decompress the zip file and install "Google Installer_2.0.apk". Don't touch the other files.

3 - Run this app (the newly installed one with the chinese name) and confirm using the Green button near the bottom.

4 - Confirm all prompts for authorisation, ensuring you select "Trust app" to give it full permissions. This will install the core "Google Play Apps Suite" as a user app, meaning that you will be able to uninstall "Play store" by simply dragging it to the top. See 1st screenshot.

5 - Check if Google Play Store has been installed and is working. If android complains about "Missing GMSs", reboot and try again. If still you have problems, try downloading "GMSInstaller apk" from an internet mirror of your choice.

See attached screenshots for proof that it works!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170824-113035.jpg
    Screenshot_20170824-113035.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 928
  • Screenshot_20170824-113056.png
    Screenshot_20170824-113056.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 937
  • Screenshot_20170824-113141.png
    Screenshot_20170824-113141.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 947
  • Screenshot_20170824-113209.png
    Screenshot_20170824-113209.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 839

jerryhou85

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 28, 2010
China
Great guide! Thanks for sharing. This is a safer way than rebrand, but rebrand will bring you a full Europe/US EMUI. You will not see any left-over Chinese characters. :)

Sanktgoran

Sep 20, 2017
Is there a lot of Chinese left so that it becomes difficult to use the phone? Or more like a minor nuisance? I'm currently in China and positively drooling at the local retail price but I've no access to a computer for rebranding.

tezz55

Nov 25, 2017
Hi, I tried this procedure, I managed to install all the GApps but when I try to login or add google account the phone freezes for a moment and nothing happens. Same behavior on YT, while on Gmail and Play Store it still says "GMS Installer required". I guess that with a chinese phone you need to flash it anyway or it can't reach google servers. Am I right?

padfr

Dec 28, 2017
Hello alL,

I come to bring you good news. I have managed to install google play store and other Google Apps on the Chinese version of the Honor 9 (WITHOUT ROOT).

1 - Download file to your Honor 9.

2 - Decompress the zip file and install "Google Installer_2.0.apk". Don't touch the other files.

3 - Run this app (the newly installed one with the chinese name) and confirm using the Green button near the bottom.

4 - Confirm all prompts for authorisation, ensuring you select "Trust app" to give it full permissions. This will install the core "Google Play Apps Suite" as a user app, meaning that you will be able to uninstall "Play store" by simply dragging it to the top. See 1st screenshot.

5 - Check if Google Play Store has been installed and is working. If android complains about "Missing GMSs", reboot and try again. If still you have problems, try downloading "GMSInstaller apk" from an internet mirror of your choice.

Hi,

I previously installed google services successfully using GMSinstaller when I first got my Honor 9 in August.
Now it is upgraded to B201 and because it always crashes when it comes to google play, I ran GMSinstaller again which asked me to uninstall every google related apps.
I did so but now it is impossible to install google again

GMS installer will only propose me to uninstall previously installed google apps, then reboot.
I tried several "Google Installer" including this one, none of them are working.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

padfr

Dec 28, 2017
It seems like this B201 update patches the GMS installer

I tried removing all the google stuff (framework, account manager, services, sync) then manually install each of them : still doesn't work.

Does anyone with B201 firmware succeed to install Google ?
Is it possible to downgrade without root/unlock ?

One thing I have not tried yet is reset to factory, If I do so I am wondering if a backup from HiSuite will restore everything...:rolleyes:

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda
I tried removing all the google stuff (framework, account manager, services, sync) then manually install each of them : still doesn't work.

Does anyone with B201 firmware succeed to install Google ?
Is it possible to downgrade without root/unlock ?

One thing I have not tried yet is reset to factory, If I do so I am wondering if a backup from HiSuite will restore everything...:rolleyes:
Tell us the results when you're done

padfr

Dec 28, 2017
Tell us the results when you're done

After Factory reset, GMSinstaller worked again ! :)

But my fear was confirmed : after restoring from HiSuite Backup, I lost some datas in my apps and also all my notes in the notes app :(

In the end got Google back, that's the most important !!

PalakMi

Aug 18, 2016
Oujda
After Factory reset, GMSinstaller worked again ! :)

But my fear was confirmed : after restoring from HiSuite Backup, I lost some datas in my apps and also all my notes in the notes app :(

In the end got Google back, that's the most important !!
Well, it's better than nothing :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello alL,

1 - Download this file to your Honor 9.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone