How To Guide Installing Ubuntu With a GUI + WSL2 Upgrade - Windows Subsystem For Linux + Premade Ubuntu Virtual Machines (and more!)

Search This thread

jenneh

Hello Friends~!

I decided to write out a step by step guide to install WSL - Windows Subsystem for Linux, with an Ubuntu Distro, and integrated GUI using Xserver. As well as how to update WSL to WSL2.
Begin by Enabling the Virtual Machine Platform Windows Feature and WSL. (simply search feature and it will popup)
1.PNG
Open Powershell as Admin, then paste:
Code:
wsl --install -d Ubuntu
2.PNG
Set a Username and Password when prompted, then paste:
Code:
sudo apt update

Close Ubuntu

Download and install the WSL Kernel update from Microsoft

To Upgrade our WSL to WSL 2, Open Powershell as Admin and paste:
Code:
wsl --set-version Ubuntu 2
wsl --update
wsl --shutdown
5.PNG

Download X Server

Change X Server's desktop shortcut Target property to:
"C:\Program Files\VcXsrv\vcxsrv.exe" :0 -ac -terminate -lesspointer -multiwindow -clipboard -wgl -dpi auto
6.PNG
Run the shortcut

Open Powershell as Admin and paste:
Code:
netstat -abno|findstr 6000
7.PNG
Open Ubuntu and Paste:
Code:
sudo apt-get install terminator -y

Then Paste:
Code:
DISPLAY=$(cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | awk '{print $2}'):0 terminator &

This will open the Terminator app allowing us to have GUI for our Apps we install.

This next step sets up a system and script that will allow us to easily run Terminator, IE the GUI for Ubuntu.

Open Run, paste:
Code:
shell:startup

Paste the shortcut in this folder
DDD.PNG

Create a new text document on your desktop, name it what you like. Mine will be terminator.

Open the text document and add this code:
Code:
args = "-c" & " -l " & """DISPLAY=$(cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | awk '{print $2}'):0 terminator"""
WScript.CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShellExecute "bash", args, "", "open", 0

Save and change the filetype to .vbs

I used the command sudo apt install nautilus, then sudo nautilus to run the file explorer app, it loaded a window successfully~!

If you learn better seeing it done first, here is a video of the steps
I made a vmware machine with ubuntu preinstalled, jdk, python and other needed components to run certain Android Kitchens, as I found WSL to be Lacking for what I need..
VMWARE 17

UBUNTU PREMADE VMWARE MACHINE:
Ubuntu.zip (3.5G)
PASSWORD IS 0110

How to install:
1674031617363.png

Extract the folder and save it anywhere you like (the default vm area for vmware is in Documents\VirtualMachines)

In vmware, select open a new machine, navigate to where you saved your ubuntu folder and open the .vmx file

If you want a premade Virtual Box Ubuntu Machine

SUPERR'S KITCHEN

Last edited:

jenneh

focal.PNG

I have updated the prebuilt Ubuntu machine listed in the OP. I will leave the original link in the OP as the file size is smaller, the only sacrifice with that edition is your time in updating.

If you value your time and would like a machine with jdk, python, adb and fastboot preinstalled and working, here is the updated copy:
Ubuntu.zip (5.4G)

My Nvidia Shield posted to the VM immediately after running adb connect 192.168.0.5:5555 no fastboot drivers needed unlike windows. Adb pull commands work better in linux as well, as the windows file system is a little wonky and it wants to treat some items that are files on linux as folders in windows, which is obviously bad..

The linux machine was able to run 10-12 pull requests at once without bogging down the adb shell to the shield, allowing me to research and explore while pulling.... where as 2 pull requests at once in windows will cause a noticeable lag within the adb shell

To Use:
focopen.PNG

And you are all set~!

0110 = PASSWORD

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNNaBaZZ

jenneh

Hello I wanted to share something I found too funny and made a mirror of it. If you haven't seen it already, deep on the interwebz lies the most Spooky of Spooky Linux distro...

That of, Miss Hannah Montana Herself~!

Here is a mirror of this silly piece of history, linking it here cause idk what else to do with it and I want to remember where I put it XD

Original links
hannahmontana.sourceforge.net

Was able to run it in VMWARE without any troubles. Just too funny I can't even

jenneh

This is a work in progress for another thread I am going to eventually create. This is in regards to known android x86_64 working images in vmware, as well as forks for that OS and Forks of Chrome OS. None of these are perfect but are still awesome in their own ways, and their nuances will be explained at a later date in the thread I will create
DOWNLOADS

ANBOX BUILT ON UBUNTU: Is super difficult to install this year idk why. I installed it last year no problem. Will be relooked into later

ANDROID X86_64:

BLISS OS:

CHROME OS:

FLINT OS:

FYDE OS:

PRIME OS:

REFERENCES FOR KNOWLEDGE

ANBOX BUILT ON UBUNTU:

ANDROID OS:

BLISS OS:

FLINT OS:

FYDE OS:

GOOGLE CHROME OS -CLOUDREADY:

PRIME OS:

HOW TO INSTALL CHROME OS TO USB:

HOW TO FIX YOUR USB IF THE RECOVERY TOOL BREAKS IT INTO 13 SEPARATE PARTITIONS...

HOW TO INSTALL ANDROID IN VMWARE:

HOW TO BOOT OFF OF USB IN VMWARE:

HOW TO EDIT SCREEN RESOLUTION:

VMWARE TOOLS DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK:
I found that the vmware workstation comes with vmware tools isos for all the distros, they are just not aptly named as such..

POSSIBLE VMWARE TOOLS FIX?

BUILD ANDROID FROM SOURCE

I need help fixing vmware tools in the machine. I have gotten really close and can explain how if anyone is bored enough to try. I get hung up here ---THIS USES PRIMEOS
3.PNG

I think this may be the one to make me make a stack exchange account XD

A LINK WITH TONS OF PREBUILT BOXES TO PLAY WITH

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Friends~!

I decided to write out a step by step guide to install WSL - Windows Subsystem for Linux, with an Ubuntu Distro, and integrated GUI using Xserver. As well as how to update WSL to WSL2.
    Begin by Enabling the Virtual Machine Platform Windows Feature and WSL. (simply search feature and it will popup)
    1.PNG
    Open Powershell as Admin, then paste:
    Code:
    wsl --install -d Ubuntu
    2.PNG
    Set a Username and Password when prompted, then paste:
    Code:
    sudo apt update

Close Ubuntu

Download and install the WSL Kernel update from Microsoft

To Upgrade our WSL to WSL 2, Open Powershell as Admin and paste:
    Code:
    wsl --set-version Ubuntu 2
    wsl --update
    wsl --shutdown
    5.PNG

Download X Server

Change X Server's desktop shortcut Target property to:
    "C:\Program Files\VcXsrv\vcxsrv.exe" :0 -ac -terminate -lesspointer -multiwindow -clipboard -wgl -dpi auto
    6.PNG
    Run the shortcut

Open Powershell as Admin and paste:
    Code:
    netstat -abno|findstr 6000
    7.PNG
    Open Ubuntu and Paste:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install terminator -y

Then Paste:
    Code:
    DISPLAY=$(cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | awk '{print $2}'):0 terminator &

This will open the Terminator app allowing us to have GUI for our Apps we install.

This next step sets up a system and script that will allow us to easily run Terminator, IE the GUI for Ubuntu.

Open Run, paste:
    Code:
    shell:startup

Paste the shortcut in this folder
    DDD.PNG

Create a new text document on your desktop, name it what you like. Mine will be terminator.

Open the text document and add this code:
    Code:
    args = "-c" & " -l " & """DISPLAY=$(cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver | awk '{print $2}'):0 terminator"""
    WScript.CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShellExecute "bash", args, "", "open", 0

Save and change the filetype to .vbs

I used the command sudo apt install nautilus, then sudo nautilus to run the file explorer app, it loaded a window successfully~!

If you learn better seeing it done first, here is a video of the steps
    I made a vmware machine with ubuntu preinstalled, jdk, python and other needed components to run certain Android Kitchens, as I found WSL to be Lacking for what I need..
    VMWARE 17

UBUNTU PREMADE VMWARE MACHINE:
    Ubuntu.zip (3.5G)
    PASSWORD IS 0110

How to install:
    1674031617363.png

Extract the folder and save it anywhere you like (the default vm area for vmware is in Documents\VirtualMachines)

In vmware, select open a new machine, navigate to where you saved your ubuntu folder and open the .vmx file

If you want a premade Virtual Box Ubuntu Machine

SUPERR'S KITCHEN
    I've made a short video guide for any other nerds out there looking for a working method to unpack Android 11 system images. It involves the use of the PREMADE UBUNTU VM, located in the OP, and SuperR's Kitchen. (Or make your own linux machine~!)
    Super Guide write up! Kudos
    focal.PNG

I have updated the prebuilt Ubuntu machine listed in the OP. I will leave the original link in the OP as the file size is smaller, the only sacrifice with that edition is your time in updating.

If you value your time and would like a machine with jdk, python, adb and fastboot preinstalled and working, here is the updated copy:
    Ubuntu.zip (5.4G)

My Nvidia Shield posted to the VM immediately after running adb connect 192.168.0.5:5555 no fastboot drivers needed unlike windows. Adb pull commands work better in linux as well, as the windows file system is a little wonky and it wants to treat some items that are files on linux as folders in windows, which is obviously bad..

The linux machine was able to run 10-12 pull requests at once without bogging down the adb shell to the shield, allowing me to research and explore while pulling.... where as 2 pull requests at once in windows will cause a noticeable lag within the adb shell

To Use:
    focopen.PNG

And you are all set~!

0110 = PASSWORD
    Hello I wanted to share something I found too funny and made a mirror of it. If you haven't seen it already, deep on the interwebz lies the most Spooky of Spooky Linux distro...

That of, Miss Hannah Montana Herself~!

Here is a mirror of this silly piece of history, linking it here cause idk what else to do with it and I want to remember where I put it XD

Original links
    hannahmontana.sourceforge.net

Was able to run it in VMWARE without any troubles. Just too funny I can't even