Insufficient Storage Available Error message in Google Play when installing

Search This thread

joey9911

Sep 30, 2015
I couldn't install or update any apps, but for some reason I could download link2sd.

Once I installed it, opened the app went to settings off the Menu then 'Install location'.

It was set to 'External' set it to 'Automatic' then exited the app.

Now I was able to download again. Thanks for sharing the fix. :good:

WFM. Thank you so much :)

Reactions: dimabehi

Jimmys1

Feb 11, 2013
I had the same message come up, driving me nuts, banging my head on phone, when I looked into link2sd settings, I had it set to store on external card and had errors...changed it to Auto and the error message went away...apps still linked to external card.

Thank you !!!! :p:p:p:p:p:p
I love you :cool::cool::angel:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i solved my same issue like this

I had the same message come up, driving me nuts, banging my head on phone, when I looked into link2sd settings, I had it set to store on external card and had errors...changed it to Auto and the error message went away...apps still linked to external card.
    I was able to fix my issue by using ES File Explorer and going to /data/app. Then I deleted the .apk of the app that was giving my the error. Then I went to the Google Play Store and updated the app. It let me download the update and install it too. Problem fixed... hope this helps other people too.

I couldn't install or update any apps, but for some reason I could download link2sd.

Once I installed it, opened the app went to settings off the Menu then 'Install location'.

It was set to 'External' set it to 'Automatic' then exited the app.

Now I was able to download again. Thanks for sharing the fix. :good:
    Here's how I solved it

I had the same problem and solved it. I had link2sd installed and it had "Auto Link" turned ON. Turning it OFF fixed the problem.

Good luck ;
    What worked for me...

What's weird is that some apps will download and install, others will not.

Note: My fix worked, in large part because, I have a rooted system with busybox properly installed (allowing me to use su, find, and grep, as well as letting me remount /system r/w and r/o). Also, I have a terminal app on my Android as well. You can't even view the contents of the /data directory if you are not root.

I had this exact same problem with Advanced Task Killer by rechild.

I began to suspect that there were some "leftovers" from this app on my device that could not be overwritten by the Android package installer.

So, in a rooted adb shell, I searched my entire system for .apk files like this (if your busybox doesn't have sym-linked applets, you make have to use "busybox find" and "busybox grep"):
    Code:
    find / | grep '\.apk$' > /data/local/tmp/apklocate.txt

Then skimmed the results with:
    Code:
    less /data/local/tmp/apklocate.txt

When that produced nothing, I tried a different approach. I looked in /data/app/ and /data/data for leftovers by skimming their contents with ls. Then I pulled out a different android with Advanced Task Killer by rechild installed. From it, I determined that the package name for this app was com.rechild.andvancedtaskkiller.

So I decided to search /data/app/ and /data/data/ with ls and grep. I tried /data/app first (if ls -la doesn't work on your android, try ls -l -a or busybox ls -l -a):
    Code:
    cd /data/app/
    ls -la | grep rechild
    and got:
    Code:
    com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller-1.odex

Whoa, there! I found an odex file WITHOUT a corresponding apk. I pretty much knew this was the source of my problem, but I went ahead and searched /data/data/ and /data/app for other "leftovers" from this app.

From there, the solution was simple (again, this whole solution assumes you are in a terminal on your device as root):
    Code:
    cd /data/app/
    rm com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller-1.odex
    Please note that this was very presumptuous on my part. I ASSUMED I wouldn't ever need that odex file again. While I was right, it would have MUCH safer for me to move this file somewhere else with a different filename somewhere else in the /data folder heirarchy with something like:
    Code:
    mv /data/app/com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller-1.odex /data/com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller-1.odex.deletemelater
    Please also note that I did NOT suggest moving it to a sdcard folder. That's because FAT32 partitions (like those on Android SD cards) do NOT preserve ownership and permissions of files. A tar backup of the file would have also been a safe idea, as tar files do preserve ownership and permissions of the archive files (unless you explicitly instruct them not to on the command line).

And last, but not least:
    Picked up Android, went into Google Play, searched for Advance Task Killer, and installed it (error free)! ;)

(If my rambling helped you, please hit the Thanks button!)