• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Interest thread s7+ Lineage os

Search This thread

Bushcat

Nov 14, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
OnePlus 6T
Reactions: AngeryCinnabon

Bushcat

Nov 14, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
OnePlus 6T
good news, fixed some display, inline kernel and vendor issues and now it's booting into fastbootd and I was able to boot into twrp to grab the pstore ramoops, now I have the access to logs and can start working, if anybody wants to help me with you can find the ramoops here: https://del.dog/ramoopsgts7xlwifi and the telegram tab s7/plus development channel here: @gts7x. Also I'm working on a PBRP release, everything is working except there's a glitched stripe on the top of the screen.

Last edited:
good news, fixed some display, inline kernel and vendor issues and now it's booting into fastbootd and I was able to boot into twrp to grab the pstore ramoops, now I have the access to logs and can start working, if anybody wants to help me with you can find the ramoops here: https://del.dog/ramoopsgts7xlwifi and the telegram tab s7/plus development channel here: @gts7x. Also I'm working on a PBRP release, everything is working except there's a glitched stripe on the top of the screen.
Nice! one small yet valuable step on the road!

Bushcat

Nov 14, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
OnePlus 6T
Progress update: I asked jimboK (was working on s20 trees) for help and he told me a lot of interesting things like this one as well as that there is a problem with los18 which has to do with init and I probably have the same problem. So I tried a los17 tree again, I created a brand new minimal tree without firmware based on jimboks sm8250-common and y2q tree and this time I used samsungs but it had the same issue. I don't know what to try next. I tried with only system as dynamical partition like in his tree, I tried with and without fstab in vendor / etc, I tried differrent partition sizes. I tried multiple fstabs, always had the same error that it could not load the fstab.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Progress update device tree:
the device tree is now fully featured, it has everything you can think of but it still doesn't want to boot. I can't get any logs so I had to guess and test everything.

Guessed Issues:
There's only one concerining issue I'm left struggling with, the BOARD_SUPER_PARTITION_SIZE I read out from Oneui doesn't build because it's not a multiple of the block size (512), my readout matches the value used in ianmacd twrp tree based on his T976B, so I used the value from the next most similar device, so i used the value from the lineage-17.1 android_device_samsung_sm8250 which does build because it is a multiple of 512.

The Things I want to try next:
- try out GSI roms and build and improve them for this device like building a better kernel for custom roms.
- make a new minimal device tree with only the essential things to find out if any vendor, wifi, gps, etc. code prevents it from booting

This is my first from the ground up made device tree and I started android development a half year ago so there are chances I made a mistake somewhere. Sorry for the messy device tree on github, any help is appreciated, I made a telegram chat about development for this device to share information more easy, you can find me here @gts7x.

Progress update: I asked jimboK (was working on s20 trees) for help and he told me a lot of interesting things like this one as well as that there is a problem with los18 which has to do with init and I probably have the same problem. So I tried a los17 tree again, I created a brand new minimal tree without firmware based on jimboks sm8250-common and y2q tree and this time I used samsungs but it had the same issue. I don't know what to try next. I tried with only system as dynamical partition like in his tree, I tried with and without fstab in vendor / etc, I tried differrent partition sizes. I tried multiple fstabs, always had the same error that it could not load the fstab.
I will be starting this summer, if you wanted to do a vendor-less tree, only building system, and get kernel cleaned up and working, that would be great. I can handle vendor image build once it gets there :)

If not, I can get to it all this summer when I have time.

Your issue with the fstab is that it's looking for the DT kernel fstab, not the Android fstab ;)

Bushcat

Nov 14, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
OnePlus 6T
I will be starting this summer, if you wanted to do a vendor-less tree, only building system, and get kernel cleaned up and working, that would be great. I can handle vendor image build once it gets there :)

Your issue with the fstab is that it's looking for the DT kernel fstab, not the Android fstab ;)

Bushcat

Nov 14, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
OnePlus 6T
Thought so but I'm very bad with kernels, I don't have much kernel experience so I'll be very slow fixing the issue, I have to go out of my comfort zone much more.

The los17 tree is vendorless because I sticked very much to the los17 sm8250-common and y2q tree, the los18 tree has vendor from BUD2.

Bushcat

Nov 14, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
OnePlus 6T
Should I expect a lineageos build for the S7 around the same time? or is everyone using an s7+ and I should just get that instead?
Tab s7+ will probably be faster with updates and patches because I and probably the other potential maintainers have it but I want to support tab s7 too but I don't know how well it will work since there is a kernel issue in the twrp for the tab s7. I mostly worked with firmware BUD2 for the T970 and T875 to create my common trees.

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
Tab s7+ will probably be faster with updates and patches because I and probably the other potential maintainers have it but I want to support tab s7 too but I don't know how well it will work since there is a kernel issue in the twrp for the tab s7. I mostly worked with firmware BUD2 for the T970 and T875 to create my common trees.
If I knew how to even build one or anything remotely to coding I would have done so. I have tab s7+ 512gb version.

Truly stinks we get security updates like once in a few months.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Progress update device tree:
    the device tree is now fully featured, it has everything you can think of but it still doesn't want to boot. I can't get any logs so I had to guess and test everything.

Guessed Issues:
    There's only one concerining issue I'm left struggling with, the BOARD_SUPER_PARTITION_SIZE I read out from Oneui doesn't build because it's not a multiple of the block size (512), my readout matches the value used in ianmacd twrp tree based on his T976B, so I used the value from the next most similar device, so i used the value from the lineage-17.1 android_device_samsung_sm8250 which does build because it is a multiple of 512.

The Things I want to try next:
    - try out GSI roms and build and improve them for this device like building a better kernel for custom roms.
    - make a new minimal device tree with only the essential things to find out if any vendor, wifi, gps, etc. code prevents it from booting

This is my first from the ground up made device tree and I started android development a half year ago so there are chances I made a mistake somewhere. Sorry for the messy device tree on github, any help is appreciated, I made a telegram chat about development for this device to share information more easy, you can find me here @gts7x.

Should I expect a lineageos build for the S7 around the same time? or is everyone using an s7+ and I should just get that instead?
    Whichever you want! Nothing guaranteed of course, but I'll be doing a common tree for both.
    I am now the owner of a S7+ and have interest in putting Lineage OS on it.
    Really, really hate bloatware.
    If I end up picking up this device I am going to begin creating a device tree,twrp and start working on a lineage os build. I am creating this thread to gauge peoples interest and which models people would be interested in having lineage os builds supported on. Probably looking at supporting the s7 + as that is the model I'm probably getting :)

If anyone has experience developing roms on Samsung devices help would be much appreciated as I am going to have to learn everything from scratch as I know next to nothing about android development so I will probably need some help from the community.

I know the device isn't even out yet I'm just really excited that Samsung finally made the perfect android tablet but lets be honest samsungs software is garbage and lineage is better :)

if I have broken any rules let me know