• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

intermittent serious UI-feedback lag

Search This thread

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
Most of the time, my Note 7 is instantly responsive no matter how heavily loaded it is.

Every few hours, though, it gets into a mode with serious UI-feedback lag. In this mode, when I tap any key or icon, the corresponding click-and-vibration feedback is delayed by up to one or two seconds. Often I can type several characters with no feedback, followed a second later by a rapid-fire sequence of the delayed clicks and vibrations.

When the phone is in lag mode, the lag occurs in all apps and with both keyboards I've tried (Samsung and Google). And it's not just during typing; tapping on any icon produces the same lag. Lag mode is not fixed by closing all apps, turning on Airplane mode, clearing the clipboard, switching to a different keyboard app, or clearing the keyboard cache or data. (Clearing the clipboard did seem to fix the problem on one occasion, but not subsequently.)

Rebooting the phone does fix the problem--until it comes back again a few hours later. I've tried booting into recovery and clearing the system cache, but the problem still comes back in a few hours. I have not had time to try a factory reset. But the phone is completely stock (APH1), no power-saving turned on, no debloating or esoteric settings or apps.

As I said above, most of the time the phone doesn't have this problem, no matter how many apps are running. And when the lag occurs, the phone is not hot and is not draining the battery. So it's not a matter of the phone being overloaded; rather, it's a specific bug in the UI feedback.

The problem arises at seemingly random times. I have not noticed any pattern as to what triggers it.

Here's a video demonstrating the problem, both for typing and for icon-tapping:
https://vid.me/iYya

And just for contrast, here's a video of the phone when it's working properly, with no UI-feedback delay:
https://vid.me/GF82

Again, when the phone is in lag-mode, it lags in all apps, for typing and for all icon-taps, etc. The videos show only one particular app for illustration.

Last edited:

ram4ufriends

Aug 12, 2014
San Antonio
Google Pixel 5
OnePlus 8T
Most of the time, my Note 7 is instantly responsive no matter how heavily loaded it is.

Every few hours, though, it gets into a mode with serious UI-feedback lag. In this mode, when I tap any key or icon, the corresponding click-and-vibration feedback is delayed by up to one or two seconds. Often I can type several characters with no feedback, followed a second later by a rapid-fire sequence of the delayed clicks and vibrations.

When the phone is in lag mode, the lag occurs in all apps and with both keyboards I've tried (Samsung and Google). And it's not just during typing; tapping on any icon produces the same lag. Lag mode is not fixed by closing all apps, turning on Airplane mode, clearing the clipboard, switching to a different keyboard app, or clearing the keyboard cache or data. (Clearing the clipboard did seem to fix the problem on one occasion, but not subsequently.)

Rebooting the phone does fix the problem--until it comes back again a few hours later. I've tried booting into recovery and clearing the system cache, but the problem still comes back in a few hours. I have not had time to try a factory reset. But the phone is completely stock (APH1), no power-saving turned on, no debloating or esoteric settings or apps.

As I said above, most of the time the phone doesn't have this problem, no matter how many apps are running. And when the lag occurs, the phone is not hot and is not draining the battery. So it's not a matter of the phone being overloaded; rather, it's a specific bug in the UI feedback.

The problem arises at seemingly random times. I have not noticed any pattern as to what triggers it.

And just for contrast, here's a video of the phone when it's working properly, with no UI-feedback delay:

Again, when the phone is in lag-mode, it lags in all apps, for typing and for all icon-taps, etc. The videos show only one particular app for illustration.
Yes this pretty much seems to be happening across Note7...hope Samsung fixes this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Sameer3.b

Oct 31, 2011
Chicago, IL
I exactly have the same issue u clearly described above. My phone lags intermittently and no matter what I do, it doesn't go away. After some time, magically it comes back to normal.

Not sure how to fix this.. very frustrating!

Tony_Stark270

Oct 9, 2015
Fargo
Same thing for me as well. I've heard whispers it's an AT&T thing. Been trying to fix by turning off Battery Optimizer for certain apps and using package disabled. I've noticed it's most consistently caused by locking and unlocking again within a specific time window. Like if you're using the phone, then you put it to sleep, and come back within about 10 min, it does it's lag mode.

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
If anyone who's having this specific UI-lag problem tries a factory reset, please report whether or not the problem comes back after that.

GeorgeP

Sep 19, 2007
I did the factory reset multiple times but it didn't solve the lag issue..

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

After the factory reset, did you restore using backups (e.g., smart switch, directly transferring SD card) or did you set up as a new phone. I was having very bad lag. I used Smart Switch the first time. After a factory reset and rebuilding from scratch (without Smart Switch) my lag problem is gone. There is some discussion of this over at Android Central.

Sameer3.b

Oct 31, 2011
Chicago, IL
After the factory reset, did you restore using backups (e.g., smart switch, directly transferring SD card) or did you set up as a new phone. I was having very bad lag. I used Smart Switch the first time. After a factory reset and rebuilding from scratch (without Smart Switch) my lag problem is gone. There is some discussion of this over at Android Central.
I set it up as a new phone and didnt use smart switch.

speedlever

Dec 2, 2007
NC
I'd be very curious to see if an unlocked (no AT&T bloat) N7 has the same issue on AT&T. If I get a N7, I'm hoping to wait until unlocked versions become available.

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
I'm finding the problem may be gone. It hasn't shown up in the last 48 hours (compared to several times a day up until then).

There's nothing I'm aware of doing differently now, other than having turned off Report Diagnostic Info in Settings|General Management. I'm skeptical that that has anything to do with the reversal (but not quite skeptical enough to try turning it back on just yet).

Perhaps the improvement is due to an app update, or perhaps it's a delayed effect of clearing the system cache (though the problem did crop up once or twice after the cache-clearing, before it stopped occurring). Has anyone else seen the problem go away?

UPDATE: The feedback-lag returned after about 60 hours. Again, no obvious trigger. Very annoying.

Last edited:

pranavsukh

Aug 30, 2016
Hi guys,

I am having similar issues. Most of the times the UI is pretty smooth, but intermittently it starts lagging, opening apps takes 1-2 secs and scrolling the pages isnt smooth, its very annoying esp considering the device is barely few days old. Need some fix to this, or its a dead investment!

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
I am having similar issues. Most of the times the UI is pretty smooth, but intermittently it starts lagging, opening apps takes 1-2 secs and scrolling the pages isnt smooth
Wait, are you talking about the same feedback problem that this thread is about? Taking a second to load an app isn't necessarily unreasonable. But a one-second lag for haptic feedback defeats the whole purpose of the feedback and is clearly a bug.

pranavsukh

Aug 30, 2016
Wait, are you talking about the same feedback problem that this thread is about? Taking a second to load an app isn't necessarily unreasonable. But a one-second lag for haptic feedback defeats the whole purpose of the feedback and is clearly a bug.

What i mean is that the lag isnt just restricted to feedback, the phone seems to stutter overall, scrolling on pages and apps is jittery. And this is noticeable since when it doesn't occur the phone is buttery smooth! I tried the google now launcher and it still persists. Turning the animations to 0.5x didnt help either.

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
Oh ok. Yeah, I'm using the Google Now launcher too. For me, the lag problem disappeared about 58 hours ago though. Just out of curiosity, do you have Report Diagnostic Info enabled in Settings|General Management?

UPDATE: The lag came back after about 60 hours.

Last edited:

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
Just for completeness, I should mention that after the phone went into lag mode, I also tried turning haptic/audio feedback off and then back on. But the lag did not stop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Further discovery: when the phone is in lag mode, if I turn off keyboard-sound feedback but leave keyboard-vibration feedback enabled, then there is no lag on the vibration feedback (but the sound feedback from icon-tapping still lags). When keyboard sound- and vibration-feedback are both enabled, then both the sound and the vibration lag. (When just the sound-feedback is enabled, the sound-feedback still lags.)

Also, when the phone is in lag mode, if I start using BT earphones, the lag stops (or rather is replaced by a uniform ~100ms lag, which is less annoying). When I disconnect my BT earphones and go back to speaker sound, the sound and vibration lag both resume. Wired earphones, unlike BT earphones, do not affect the lag at all.
    Noticed this a bunch today. Does get rather irritating on a week old phone.
    My lag is progressively worse. At this point I'm not sure if I even want the recall replacement. It's a shame because I absolutely love it, but the lag is almost a deal breaker. Everything from opening the camera to typing to even fingerprint unlocking he screen there is a serious stutter it seems system wide. I may just swap for an S7 edge or just return it and (gasp!) pre order an iPhone 7