• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Internal screen durability

Search This thread

trayscragg

Apr 25, 2015
Hi everyone,
Long story short I am thinking of yet again giving Samsung another chance by switching from my 12 pro max to the fold 3 but have a few concerns.

can anyone advise on how durable the internal display is in regards to dust getting trapped in between when folded and getting scratched? I’ve been in the whole apple ecosystem for a very long time and built quality is important to me and so wanted to see what everyone’s experience has been with theirs so far.

thanks in advance

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Dust per se no. Any sand oh yes.

If you're leaving your happy Apple world, take the whole Android trip and get a Samsung with an SD card* slot. A native spen is also very useful.
The Note 10+ (my top choice still) and the Note 20 Ultra are better, more durable and useful devices in my opinion.
You'll want a pair of Buds+ too. To make full use of the native SCC bluetooth codec.

*use as a dedicated data drive. All critical data and backups go here. Only the loaded apps and the temporary download folder go on internal memory. The DCIM folder files are then backed up to the data drive weekly etc. Do not name that folder DCIM though. You then redundantly backup you SD card to at least 2 hdds.

A V30 rated 1tb card can be had now for $180. Fast enough to playback vids and music with zero issues.
Complete reloads can be done from the SD card too, no need for a PC, cloud or any external sources.
Something no Apple can do... don't sell yourself short!

atvxda

Apr 3, 2008
Boston
Hi everyone,
Long story short I am thinking of yet again giving Samsung another chance by switching from my 12 pro max to the fold 3 but have a few concerns.

can anyone advise on how durable the internal display is in regards to dust getting trapped in between when folded and getting scratched? I’ve been in the whole apple ecosystem for a very long time and built quality is important to me and so wanted to see what everyone’s experience has been with theirs so far.

thanks in advance
What is the last Samsung device you owned?

As far as the Fold2 and 3, great devices. The inner display is soft and you have to plan accordingly. In my experience, the Fold2's display was more prone to the micro scratches and finger nail gouges. The screen also collected lots of finger oils and almost felt like a resistive touch screen. The Fold3's screen feels more like glass and I am very pleased with it. I don't baby my phones. They've lived in my jean pocket, suit jackets, etc. Dust will definitely find its way on the phone and like any other device, easily wipes off.

I got bored with the Note line after owning every model since its third iteration and went with the Fold. Never going back especially now with S pen compatibility. It is the perfect size for multitasking, web browsing, YT, etc. When closed, perfect for quick phone interactions.

Reactions: trayscragg

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Hi everyone,

thanks in advance
It sounds like your question may assume the two sides of the screen lay flat on top of one another, which would indeed be a good case for dust to cause scratches. Luckily, the two screens have a level of separation through the whole span and the only points of contact are very small rubber stand-off's at the top and bottom of the right hand side. Unless there are very large pieces of debris, you should not be concerned with things scratching the screen while closed.

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
You'll want a pair of Buds+ too. To make full use of the native SCC bluetooth codec.

Buds+ are great and what I use at the gym. But if you want better audio go with wireless buds with LDAC or use a USB DAC or bluetooth headphone amp with LDAC like the ES100 or BTR5.
The screen halves don't touch when folded. The only way it will scratch when folded is if a large piece of debris gets stuck between. Also, you can add a case which further increases the space between screens when folded.

trayscragg

Apr 25, 2015

As far as the Fold2 and 3, great devices. The inner display is soft and you have to plan accordingly. In my experience, the Fold2's display was more prone to the micro scratches and finger nail gouges. The screen also collected lots of finger oils and almost felt like a resistive touch screen. The Fold3's screen feels more like glass and I am very pleased with it. I don't baby my phones. They've lived in my jean pocket, suit jackets, etc. Dust will definitely find its way on the phone and like any other device, easily wipes off.

I got bored with the Note line after owning every model since its third iteration and went with the Fold. Never going back especially now with S pen compatibility. It is the perfect size for multitasking, web browsing, YT, etc. When closed, perfect for quick phone interactions.
The last Samsung phone I owned was the note 9 I think for about a month then pre ordered the 10+ and then I just went back to Apple. I walked away from apple back then and unfortunately they did cost me a lot of money in the long run but I feel like the fold is calling my name. Just need to figure out what to do with the two sets of AirPods I have and the Apple Watch which I use on a daily basis.

Reactions: atvxda

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Buds+ are great and what I use at the gym. But if you want better audio go with wireless buds with LDAC or use a USB DAC or bluetooth headphone amp with LDAC like the ES100 or BTR5.
The screen halves don't touch when folded. The only way it will scratch when folded is if a large piece of debris gets stuck between. Also, you can add a case which further increases the space between screens when folded.
I'm still not seeing any LDAC buds near that price range. It's always a crap shoot on how well they will fit/seal.

What the exact clearance gap? Can you compress it beyond that? Real bad things can happen in pocket.

I always wear bdu pants and keep my 10+ in a cargo pocket. This has worked very well in conjunction with a robust case. You can protect a 10+ extremely well with a little effort. Mine has survived in the desert with no scratches for almost 2 years.

The answer you're looking for specifically since no one else provided

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-163126_Firefox Beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-163126_Firefox Beta.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
I'm still not seeing any LDAC buds near that price range. It's always a crap shoot on how well they will fit/seal.

What the exact clearance gap? Can you compress it beyond that? Real bad things can happen in pocket.
There are a few LDAC buds out there like the Soundcore Liberty Pro 2, Hiby WH2, many Sonys. Check drop.com. There are more options with aptx.
I use the Samsung silicone case and it adds maybe 1mm when closed. Only the edges of the case touch when closed. The case is pretty stiff, you have to press hard to make it compress.

atvxda

Apr 3, 2008
Boston
The last Samsung phone I owned was the note 9 I think for about a month then pre ordered the 10+ and then I just went back to Apple. I walked away from apple back then and unfortunately they did cost me a lot of money in the long run but I feel like the fold is calling my name. Just need to figure out what to do with the two sets of AirPods I have and the Apple Watch which I use on a daily basis.
I loved my 9 and 10 Plus. Both were unlocked, both were blue. My 9 had 512 of storage. Such a great phone... You'll be back at home with the Fold3 + spen. As far as the iPhone add ons, I'm sure you'll find a buyer for them and replace them from what Samsung has to offer. Apples ecosystem is very robust. I feel Samsung's is a close second.

All of my children have i devices and corresponding accessories. My wife and I have been Samsung users for quite some time. We only have earbuds. I use to have a watch but hated having to charge my work laptop, work phone, personal phone and my watch. I also prefer the heft and look of my actual watches, so. My wife has the buds, I have the beans aka live. I like how they sit in my ear, dislike anything lodged in (despite the better noise cancelation and sound). Good luck with your decision either way.

Lastly, folding and unfolding never gets old. I still feel the same way today as I did as when I folded my Fold2 last year for the very first time. Love my Fold3, never going back to anything prior.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
There are a few LDAC buds out there like the Soundcore Liberty Pro 2, Hiby WH2, many Sonys. Check drop.com. There are more options with aptx.
I use the Samsung silicone case and it adds maybe 1mm when closed. Only the edges of the case touch when closed. The case is pretty stiff, you have to press hard to make it compress.
Only LDAC is equal or better than SSC from the available bt codecs. So there's that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The answer you're looking for specifically since no one else provided
    Hi everyone,

thanks in advance
    Hi everyone,

thanks in advance