• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

International-only [NOH-NX9] Mate 40 Pro native GMS (non-root non-virtual) for Google-login

Search This thread

kxra

Jun 27, 2016
I will keep this post updated if working solutions are shared.

Native Solutions (with push notifications, location services, google login):
  • None so far. 😢
Virtual Machine environments:
  • OurPlay (Chinese-only interface, but uses system languge for installed apps)
  • DualSpace (loses ability to install apps/updates after a day)
  • VMOS (old android v7, with virtual root and Xposed)
  • VPhoneGaGa (old Android v7, with virtual root)

Since many threads have confusion about methods which only work for Chinese version, please help confirm GMS installation methods for the international version, so we can test properly. Because Google apps are what many of our coworkers, colleagues, and friends use we unfortunately can't just abandon them. Therefore, only solutions that work with login to Google services (not just GMS but actual Google authentication, like for Gmail, Google Voice, YouTube Music, Meet, Chat, Maps, Calendar, Photos, etc.) will be accepted.

Apparently MicroG only works for apps which don't need to use Google login, has anyone found a real solution? Is there any downside to install Chinese firmware onto the phone (will OTA updates still work)? https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...o-international-mate-40-pro-possible.4196699/

While we wait for the hackers and modders to work around Google's ban, let's…
  • Contact app developers about publishing to the Huawei AppGallery and share their replies
  • See how we can help figure out solutions
  • Share alternatives we are using to the Google(-dependent) services we have been locked in to (I will add best to this list)

Google Alternatives

Last edited:

daxter125

Oct 14, 2013
I think we will have to wait a while for a Way that works on the International Model, there's literally no working Way right now.
I got used to use Outlook for my Gmail Account, YouTube Vanced which is better then the Normal YouTube App and i do use Google Maps but i never logged in there so it's not a problem for me. But of course a working Way would be nice.
And afaik you can't just Flash the Chinese Rom so easily...
I'm still wondering why the International Version is so much more locked up Software wise then the Chinese one🤔

latif99

Jul 10, 2007
Hi..
I have the international version and you are right, the Chinese method does not work with this model.
I have sped the last 7 days with this phone and almost tried all combinations of installations and nothing works.. Seems I can't get the App "G" (whatever its called) to work my the device and I don't want to downgrade the OS. I just can't believe that a giant like Huawei just gave up and didn't leave any backdoors for us to use the phone. in my opinion, Huawei mobile phone business is doomed. its unfortunate for a perfect phone to lack basic apps just because of Google and US gaining on the company.
Hopefully, things will change once TRUMP is pushed out of office soon.

chortya

Jan 20, 2005
LG V60 ThinQ
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Huawei is way far from being doomed, they are very successful in Asia where nobody is obsessed with Google. There is life without Google but it's not as comfortable as all western users are used to.
Actually I would blame Google for being so closed and not allowing proper app support without GMS and developers that rely so much on Google services like Firebase. How is it possible that a banking app is not able to function without GMS? Or Microsoft Teams still complaining that GMS is not available... Big part of the world is too dependent on a couple of US based companies...
Also even without Trump there is a very small chance that anything will change in regards to US ban and sanctions on Huawei.

App "G" is called LZPlay. Here is a good read what it actually does:
@topjohnwu/huaweis-undocumented-apis-a-backdoor-to-reinstall-google-services-c3a5dd71a7cd

I am quite comfortable without GMS and I still use some of the Google apps. WebApps are actually quite decent: Google Fotos, Google Drive etc.

Now when it comes to GMS implementation on Huawei. Not sure what will just waiting change, who do you think will change anything?
Only way to install GMS without Google approval would be to use MDM (mobile device management) app that functions similarly to LZPlay but is owned by a developer who is not hiding as it is a case with LZPlay. But I don't think that Huawei will now approve a signed build of any app that will try to use those APIs mentioned in the article.

In China they can do whatever they want with the FW but in rest of the world they comply with the ban. Also it seems that Google specifically needs to white-list device fingeprints. MicroG should in theory work with new Huawei phones even including log-in but it does not, exactly due to the missing white list.

RTFM, push app developers to work with HMS and educate yourself on what is really the problem. Alternatively just wait :)

torickray

Feb 22, 2010
Huawei is way far from being doomed, they are very successful in Asia where nobody is obsessed with Google. There is life without Google but it's not as comfortable as all western users are used to.
Actually I would blame Google for being so closed and not allowing proper app support without GMS and developers that rely so much on Google services like Firebase. How is it possible that a banking app is not able to function without GMS? Or Microsoft Teams still complaining that GMS is not available... Big part of the world is too dependent on a couple of US based companies...
Also even without Trump there is a very small chance that anything will change in regards to US ban and sanctions on Huawei.

App "G" is called LZPlay. Here is a good read what it actually does:
@topjohnwu/huaweis-undocumented-apis-a-backdoor-to-reinstall-google-services-c3a5dd71a7cd

I am quite comfortable without GMS and I still use some of the Google apps. WebApps are actually quite decent: Google Fotos, Google Drive etc.

Now when it comes to GMS implementation on Huawei. Not sure what will just waiting change, who do you think will change anything?
Only way to install GMS without Google approval would be to use MDM (mobile device management) app that functions similarly to LZPlay but is owned by a developer who is not hiding as it is a case with LZPlay. But I don't think that Huawei will now approve a signed build of any app that will try to use those APIs mentioned in the article.

In China they can do whatever they want with the FW but in rest of the world they comply with the ban. Also it seems that Google specifically needs to white-list device fingeprints. MicroG should in theory work with new Huawei phones even including log-in but it does not, exactly due to the missing white list.

RTFM, push app developers to work with HMS and educate yourself on what is really the problem. Alternatively just wait :)

Totally disagree that in Asia nobody is obsessed with Google. China doesn't represent Asia. Most countries outside China is using GMS on daily basis. They use G Suite, Gmail in business, Especially during this pandemic time, Google Meet is one of the frequent used App for communication. Not to mention many travelling apps, banking apps are relied on GMS.

You may able to survive without GMS, but just like itchiness, it won't kill you, but it just annoys you all the time.

Reactions: chortya

denzel09

Jun 28, 2009
Teheran
Totally disagree that in Asia nobody is obsessed with Google. China doesn't represent Asia. Most countries outside China is using GMS on daily basis. They use G Suite, Gmail in business, Especially during this pandemic time, Google Meet is one of the frequent used App for communication. Not to mention many travelling apps, banking apps are relied on GMS.

You may able to survive without GMS, but just like itchiness, it won't kill you, but it just annoys you all the time.

Edit...

Last edited:

jonyue

Dec 14, 2020
I think we will have to wait a while for a Way that works on the International Model, there's literally no working Way right now.
I got used to use Outlook for my Gmail Account, YouTube Vanced which is better then the Normal YouTube App and i do use Google Maps but i never logged in there so it's not a problem for me. But of course a working Way would be nice.
And afaik you can't just Flash the Chinese Rom so easily...
I'm still wondering why the International Version is so much more locked up Software wise then the Chinese one🤔
yes same feeling😂

KOBB11

Dec 15, 2020

Since many threads have confusion about methods which only work for Chinese version, please help confirm GMS installation methods for international users who need to login to Google services (not just GMS but actual google authentication, like for Play Store, Google Voice, YouTube Music, Meet, Maps, Calendar, etc.) so we can test properly.

MicroG only works for apps which don't need to use Google login apparently, has anyone found a real solution? Is there any downside to install Chinese firmware onto the phone (will OTA updates still work)? https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...o-international-mate-40-pro-possible.4196699/

While we wait for the hackers and modders to work around Google's ban, let's:
  • Contact app develpoers about supporting the Huawei AppGallery and share their replies
  • Share alternatives we are using to the Googele(-dependent) services we have been locked in to
keep this up!

jacksontf

Dec 16, 2020
I've purchased Huawei Mate 40 Pro on yesterday, but seems like everyone is facing the same issue when installing GMS using Googlefier that lzplay show message in Chinese that it didn't support for this device. Maybe there's alternative way to reinstall the app again?

jacksontf

Dec 16, 2020
Hi..
I have the international version and you are right, the Chinese method does not work with this model.
I have sped the last 7 days with this phone and almost tried all combinations of installations and nothing works.. Seems I can't get the App "G" (whatever its called) to work my the device and I don't want to downgrade the OS. I just can't believe that a giant like Huawei just gave up and didn't leave any backdoors for us to use the phone. in my opinion, Huawei mobile phone business is doomed. its unfortunate for a perfect phone to lack basic apps just because of Google and US gaining on the company.
Hopefully, things will change once TRUMP is pushed out of office soon.
but I never see solution that people downgrade (Mate 40 Pro) and install GMS

iammitee

Jan 20, 2018
I read in a video posted on youtube that a chinese app ourplay its like a chinese version of playstore installs gms for emui 11.

Tried installing the app the only problem is it you can only use the app with a china IP address so i couldnt fully verify if it works or not.

Anybody wanna try for mate 40 international phones?

Installer can be downloaded on their site ourplay.net

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Native Solutions (with push notifications, location services, google login):
    • None so far. 😢
    Virtual Machine environments:
    • OurPlay (Chinese-only interface, but uses system languge for installed apps)
    • DualSpace (loses ability to install apps/updates after a day)
    • VMOS (old android v7, with virtual root and Xposed)
    • VPhoneGaGa (old Android v7, with virtual root)

Since many threads have confusion about methods which only work for Chinese version, please help confirm GMS installation methods for the international version, so we can test properly. Because Google apps are what many of our coworkers, colleagues, and friends use we unfortunately can't just abandon them. Therefore, only solutions that work with login to Google services (not just GMS but actual Google authentication, like for Gmail, Google Voice, YouTube Music, Meet, Chat, Maps, Calendar, Photos, etc.) will be accepted.

Apparently MicroG only works for apps which don't need to use Google login, has anyone found a real solution? Is there any downside to install Chinese firmware onto the phone (will OTA updates still work)? https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...o-international-mate-40-pro-possible.4196699/

While we wait for the hackers and modders to work around Google's ban, let's…
    • Contact app developers about publishing to the Huawei AppGallery and share their replies
    • Share alternatives we are using to the Google(-dependent) services we have been locked in to (I will add best to this list)

Google Alternatives
    Hi guys,

I just tried OurPlay. Previously I wasn't able to use it because it required China region. This time it works fine. The menus are in Chinese but it works and it is far better than gspace or dual space. At least for me the others are very unstable and also location was a problem but with OurPlay everything seems fine for now.
    I don't know what they changed to allow usage with other regions but I advise you to try it!
    Good luck. :)
    Don’t worry, wait patiently, there will be good news soon
    Added services for this video. The file is taken from the 4pda forum. Optimized for huawei ads removed
    I read in a video posted on youtube that a chinese app ourplay its like a chinese version of playstore installs gms for emui 11.

Tried installing the app the only problem is it you can only use the app with a china IP address so i couldnt fully verify if it works or not.

Anybody wanna try for mate 40 international phones?

Installer can be downloaded on their site ourplay.net
    Change your phone language in Chinese and it will work.
    the app works when you change language to Chinese? or are you talking about the website?

I just tested this. The app doesn't work for anything requiring a Google login (e.g. Gmail doesn't open at all). The OurPlay app "works" if you set and keep your device's language to Chinese, but if you change it back, it gives you the error again.

This is a non-starter because when it "Installs" GMS for the Google Play Store, it is a separate environment and any apps you install through there do not show up on your homescreen or in your Android settings which show you the list of apps installed on your device. You cannot access the apps installed through this Play Store unless you open through the OurPlay app, so you can only use them if they don't require Google authentication AND you keep your phone in Chinese.

For this reason I do not think this qualifies as a solution and I am not adding it to the original post. Let's keep trying and pushing more to support the Huawei AppGallery.