• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

International phone working on US networks?

Search This thread

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
So back in the day I used to bake my own ROM's and whatnot but I haven't done that kind of stuff in years. I finally upgraded from a Sprint SM-N900P Note 3 to an AT&T LM-F100VM LG Wing that I bought off eBay. Took the Wing to T-Mobile today and the little girl behind the counter said it can't be activated because it's an International phone. Seller said the phone is network unlocked, going into phone settings Network and Mobile Network Type both say unknown, it doesn't say anything about AT&T other than the boot screen, so I'm hoping someone can help while I'm still doing generic Google searches.

I had an issue turning on the Note years ago becuase apparently it was a pre-paid phone, was told it couldn't be activated either yet got someone else at a different store and boom, it works...I'm hoping this is the same issue w/ the Wing.

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
dear XDA poster ,

there are at least six different models for LG Wing and each one has different properties also in connection with " cell wireless networks " compatibility and with support of US
carriers exploit different radio frequency bands for LTE networks.
" T-mobile US " and " AT&T " LG WING variants however support the very same spectrum of radio frequencies [ bands ] for " 5G NR " while those two WING variants show instead two different list for radio frequency bands in connection with LTE cell wireless networks.

if you got that code correct [ LM-F100VM1 ] for your phone model, it is definitely an AT&T variant then while, when unlocked , the phone is also compatible with ' T-Mobile US ' and its " 5G " network however " LTE-A " [ 4G ] cell wireless network compatibility may be limited and depends on the area or region where you live [ i.e: although you have an unlocked phone, you may still be limited to that choice of a network operator, depending on the firmware variant also unlocking frequency bands ]

Verizon and its retail network resell instead this model [ code: " LM-F100VMY " ] and a LG WING variant also compatible with mmWaves for " 5Gnr " networks and when unlocked then, " LG WING on VRZN " is also most suitable to be used internationally [ with both LTE-A and 5G networks ] and while also inserting SIMs of int'l carriers.

International model instead [ global or LM-F100EMW variant ] is most likely supported by VRZN networks in the US.

please note:
although unusual.... " firmware swap " may still occur and you may want to verify your unit was delivered with correct firmware variant for that phone model . if you don't have the packaging and those labels then try inquiring by IMEI code or serial number to get results with that " code " for LG WING model thus also retrieving two separate lists for supported radio frequency bands and for either " 5G " and " LTE " networks

EDIT:
see also the following table for more info. source: https://www.piucellulare.it/scheda-tecnica/lg/wing/5g-f100vm1/
[ google translate may help did not realise the home page footer also offers Eng. version ]

Last edited:

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
I'm still lost though since I the phone I bought says it's LM-F100VM, it's originally an AT&T phone that's been unlocked, yet TMobile chat says it won't work fully (I don't care about VOIP, I just want a basic working 5G phone. I tried checking against AT&T's website but they don't have a simple IMEI checker option. The two IMEI's I have both show the same issue, 354772160436644 and 351716700583921. I'm lost because I assumed an unlocked phone was just that...I could swap a SIM and switch networks every month if I wanted to and that they'd work 100% no matter what...that doesn't appear to be the case.

Screenshot_20211026-171542.png

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
dear XDA poster,

eventually T-Mobile " 5G " network coverage won't reach all areas and regions in the US and when traveling, you may at times be forced to register with " TMO LTE-A " cell wireless network , thus in order use your phone with SIM card of " T-mobile US " , the device must also support " LTE-A network " of this specific carrier [ that is our understanding of the message ]
" data and internet connection " may still work, in addition when registering your phone on TMO " 5G network " however calls and text may not work [ depending on select technology for cell wireless network, the operator | carrier enables for making phone calls ]

having said so... when you live and work in areas with full " 5G " coverage by T-mobile US [ the carrie ] you won't encounter issues and even when unlocked " LG WING on AT&T " isn't officially supported [ as long as it's still possible to make phone calls when connected to a " 5G " cell wireless network thogh ]

what we did when living and studying in the US, we entered a t-mobile " shop " and asked politely to try an activated SIM card we inserted into the unlocked phone we had then but you may just ask a friend and borrow their t-mobile SIM card [ SIM card will always work when on unlocked phones unless SIM is instead locked for specific IMEI code and phone ]

please also note there's one letter missing at the end of that LG WING model code you wrote.

Last edited:

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
dear XDA poster,

eventually T-Mobile " 5G " network won't cover all areas and regions in US then when traveling, you may be forced to switch and hook-up with " LTE-A " network at times, thus the device [ you want to bring to TMO network ] also needs to support compatibility with T-mobile US and its LTE-A network [ that is our understanding of the message ] in addition data connection may work on TMO however calls and text may not [ depending on TMO policies and which cell wireless network is in use for voice traffic ]

having said so... when you live and work in areas with full " 5G " network coverage by T-mobile, you won't encounter issues and even when unlocked " LG WING on AT&T " isn't officially supported [ as long as calls on 5G are actually possible ]

what we did when living and studying in the US, we entered a t-mobile " shop " and asked politely to try an activated SIM card inserted into the unlocked phone we had then, or you may just ask a friend and borrow their t-mobile SIM card [ SIM card doesn't have to have any locks configured for specific IMEI code and phone though ]
I guess this is what I get for not wanting a cookie cutter S21 :/

Tonight I took the SIM outta my Note 3, trimmed it down to the size of a NanoSIM and put it into the Wing. It didn't change anything identifying the network, it only showed my phone number, yet it never got a signal and calls didn't work at all.

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
woah ... that's not wise to say the least.

SIM's are often cut to fit exactly the SIM tray for cell phone and unless you have a proper tool and " SIM cutter " , it's really hard to size it correctly.

i guess your best bet is to also just enter a LG store [ or LG corner in a department store ] used to sell phones and find out what options you have in terms of carriers [ although we gathered you'd prefer to avoid AT&T and stay we TMO ]

trimmed it down to the size of a NanoSIM and put it into the Wing.

Last edited:

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
.... consider in addition, you also need a " subscription plan " or a pre-paid plan also enabling the phone to use " TMO 5G network " [ the SIM plan linked to that SIM card you used with " Note 3 ", isn't necessarily ready for TMO 5G network ]

Last edited:

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
dear XDA poster, we gathered some additional info while making inquiries by IMEI code and that phone is, apparently, a variant of LG WING on AT&T network.

DEVICE INFO:
IMEI:3547xxxxxxx6644
Brand:LG
Phone model:LM-F100VM
Product model:F100VM1AY
Buyer code:ATT
Blacklist status*:CLEAN

- next step -
you likely want to search a carrier deployed " 4G " and " 5G " networks supporting radio frequency bands we can gather with that list of compatibility for LG WING [ F100VM1 AT&T variant ] and cell wireless networks
4G networkLTE Cat18 (2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 29, 30, 66)
TD-LTE (46)
VoLTE
5G networkSA/NSA/Sub6 (25, 41, 66, 71)

AT&T (United States)
uses [ ... ] and 4 LTE bands. Find out if your unlocked phone or mobile device will work with AT&T (United States). See the tables below for details.

Check device compatibility

Frequency Bands for AT&T (United States)

LTE​

Supported LTE Protocols​

NameGeneration
LTE4G

------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

T-Mobile (United States)
uses [ ... ] and 5 LTE bands. Find out if your unlocked phone or mobile device will work with T-Mobile (United States). See the tables below for details.

Check device compatibility

Frequency Bands for T-Mobile (United States)

LTE​

Supported LTE Protocols​

NameGeneration
LTE4G

- you now need to find out more information about network coverage and yet to understand what technology [ " LTE " and | or " 5G " ] has been deployed for your specific area or region while your favorite carrier [ TMO ] may still support select radio frequency bands only, for LTE [ 4G generation ] cell wireless network in your area .

Last edited:

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
woah ... that's not wise to say the least , SIM's are often cut to fit exactly the SIM tray for cells . unless you have a proper tool and " SIM cutter " , it's really hard to size it correctly.

i guess your best bet is to also just enter a LG store [ or LG corner used to sell phones ] and find out what options you have in terms of carriers [ although we gathered you'd prefer to avoid AT&T and stay we TMO ]
There's template online that show how to cut them, it didn't help the Wing and is still working in my Note that I'm writing from right now.

LG is leaving the mobile phone business and I can't say I've ever seen an LG store anyways.

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
.... consider in addition you need a " 5G subscription plan " or a pre-paid plan also enabling use of TMO 5G network [ depends on the plan linked to that SIM which you used with " Note 3 " wasn't compatibile with 5G network ]
I'm planning on going to an AT&T store tomorrow to look at plans and talk to someone in person. AT&T tends to cost more monthly but most providers aside from AT&T stuck at my work so I've been reluctantly considering switching anyways.

wrwolf2

Nov 24, 2014
Ottawa
dear XDA poster,
that sounds a good alternative although we can see no reason why unlocked LG WING on AT&T won't work with SIM's of TMO too [ " T-mobile US " ]

as long as your area is served by TMO and its " LTE " network exploiting one or more of these radio frequency bands: " B2 B4 B12 B66 " and the area or region is also served by TMO and its " 5G " network exploiting one or more of these radio frequency bands : " N41 and N71 " ... then you won't have problems when registering your LG WING [ LM-F100MV1 AT&T variant ] on TMO network.
[ NOTE: in order to connect to 5G network, your SIM plan must also be enables for " 5G " cell network though. since your handset comes customized for other carrier ( AT&T ) you might as well have to add and edit " APN " profile manually ( Access Point Names ) while browsing phone " Settings >>Network & Internet >>Mobile Networks " ]

EDIT:
you may also want to use phone keypad and enter a code to access " engineer service menu " then manually enable some additional radio frequency bands, while selecting menu options then browsing pages showing radio frequency bands can also be enabled as you wish [ there's a post on this forum about that however that code, to be entered with phone keypad, isn't always the same for each WING model ]

I could finally activate the 5G network capability of both my LG Velvet and LG Wing, European versions.

I have an Italian (ITC) genuine SIM unlocked Wing LM-F100EMW with latest Android 10 V10k-EEA-XX installed.

If you hit with the phone dialpad this sequence:

#*462633*#100#

it will lead you to a hidden menu where you can find all sort of information and tweaking options.

You have to choose "Field Test", then "Modem settings". You will have here many things you can change. Go to "RAT Selection", "SIM 1 Mode" (if you have only 1 SIM or if it's the one you want to go up to 5G speeds), it will give you many more options than the ones you find under the regular "Network settings".
So I then hit the "GSM/WCDMA/LTE/NR5G" option. I now have up to 5G automatic network selection!

Only issue is that under the regular Mobile Network settings, "Preferred network" states now "26" and if I want to see what other options you have, it only lists the options up to 4G preferred and it will go back to 4G maximum if you choose it. So you have to go through the hidden menu again to activate it.
I also tested that if you power off the phone, 5G maximum stays activated when you power on the phone again, good to know.

You may also try to tweak your 5G bands by selecting them in the corresponding menu "Band Selection" in the "Field Test", "Modem Settings" menu. Some of them might not really work though, as it might be hardware related depending on your model.

Hopefully it can help people finally being able to use the 5G network of their provider with the Wing, Velvet, and possibly other LG 5G phones like the V50(S) and V60. You just have to put your model number at the end of the secret code ...#900# for the Velvet, ...#510# for the V50S ...#100# for the Wing, aso, if I understood it good.

finally...the following may also help to edit and tweak carrier policy, while using phone keypad to enter a code: *#*#4636#*#* and then select " Phone information " option and yet search for " Set Preferred network type ", tap then scroll until you see [ and set ] " 5gNR "

@m5James

I'm planning on going to an AT&T store tomorrow to look at plans and talk to someone in person. AT&T tends to cost more monthly but most providers aside from AT&T stuck at my work so I've been reluctantly considering switching anyways.

Last edited:

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
Update...phone seems to be working so far after all. LONG story but the GF and I hit Verizon and TMO today, one of the employees at TMO was part of the design crew for the Wing and she was able to change some settings and get it working...I don't know what part of 5G isn't working based on the screenshot above, but otherwise it's been fine so far today. I'm still gonna refer her to the secret settings thread floating around here to get her .02, otherwise thanks all for the help :)

Reactions: wrwolf2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update...phone seems to be working so far after all. LONG story but the GF and I hit Verizon and TMO today, one of the employees at TMO was part of the design crew for the Wing and she was able to change some settings and get it working...I don't know what part of 5G isn't working based on the screenshot above, but otherwise it's been fine so far today. I'm still gonna refer her to the secret settings thread floating around here to get her .02, otherwise thanks all for the help :)