• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

International Pixel 5 (GTT9Q) and Unlocking the Bootloader?

Search This thread

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
I gave up on rooting a GD1YQ (close to that), the US version of the Pixel 5. I can get an International Pixel 5 (GTT9Q). There are two "gotchas"

1) Is this bootloader unlockable? I tried to get the seller to try the "check OEM Unlock" test. The seller won't touch creating Developer Mode. Feh.

2) The seller says the phone is "Google account locked". I get how an account can be locked, and unlocked. As best I can figure, do a data reset, and use a different, working Google account when the question shows up in the setup process.

Am I clueless about 1), 2), or all of the above?

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Tell the seller thanks but no thanks. Look elsewhere. They won't look at dev options means it is not bl unlockable. Model number means nothing at this point. Screenie of the OEM switch is needed.

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
That phone's gone. Still, I wonder if these rascals, not being VZW, etc. phones, have unlocked BL's.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
That phone's gone. Still, I wonder if these rascals, not being VZW, etc. phones, have unlocked BL's.
No one should sell a phone with an unlocked bootloader. Perhaps you mean unlockable BL? As I stated, the only way to tell is by looking at the dev options OEM switch. It should look like this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-071647.png
    Screenshot_20210603-071647.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 30

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
This time around, the seller woke up Developer options and... fail. Was a great price, too. Oh well.

I missed out on a pair of phones that explicitly said their bootloaders were unlocked. Someone on eBay listed them, and was clear this was the BL's not just unlocking carriers.

Back to the original question - trying to sort out if the International version is worth chasing down.

The specs I've seen say the only difference between the US and International phones are no support for mmWave in the International phone. Since I'm not crazed about getting 5G (travel too often where any "G" is a surprise), losing mmWave is no big thing.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
This time around, the seller woke up Developer options and... fail. Was a great price, too. Oh well.

I missed out on a pair of phones that explicitly said their bootloaders were unlocked. Someone on eBay listed them, and was clear this was the BL's not just unlocking carriers.

Back to the original question - trying to sort out if the International version is worth chasing down.

The specs I've seen say the only difference between the US and International phones are no support for mmWave in the International phone. Since I'm not crazed about getting 5G (travel too often where any "G" is a surprise), losing mmWave is no big thing.
Why not pick up a 4a 5G new from Google? They are under $500 and a great phone. My friend has one and it's awesome. No chasing down anything or playing games with clowns on resales.

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
And some day a 6, a 7, an 8... ;)

A 5 will do me nicely.

I should add I spend some time in Germany, so an International version is OK. Buy one in Germany? With 19% value added tax? Nein danke.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Well good luck then. If you don't find one by the time the 6 ships, I might know of one in near mint condition. ;-)

Reactions: xunholyx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well good luck then. If you don't find one by the time the 6 ships, I might know of one in near mint condition. ;-)