• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Internet Tethering via USB??

Search This thread

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
Internet Tethering over USB? Is that something that was added with 1.6 or is that Eclair functionality? I notice it is in the CyanogenMod latest builds.

How does it work in comparison to bluetooth or wifi tether?

Does it require root?

TIA

evilkorn

Jun 10, 2009
Boynton Beach, FL
What do you mean work in comparison, it's wired and the others are wireless. Speeds shouldn't depend on connection.

If you install cyanogen's build, then you have root so it shouldn't matter as you have it already. There is an application wired tether for root users, name explains.

I don't think it is in the AOSP build, so it was added by him or whoever he gives credit to.

nephron

May 25, 2009
There are 2 different Tethers for root users

Wired - Means u gotta connect your usb to your computer

Wireless - This will create an Ad Hoc wireless connection to your computer (no cable required)

This was added by cyanogen and is not part of eclair :D

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
There are 2 different Tethers for root users

Wired - Means u gotta connect your usb to your computer

Wireless - This will create an Ad Hoc wireless connection to your computer (no cable required)

This was added by cyanogen and is not part of eclair :D

What I was originally asking I guess was if the Wired USB tethering was now standard issue in Android 1.6 or 2.0 and as such was available to non-root users. From your response, I understand that is incorrect, and that wired tethering via USB was added by CM in the CM builds and therefore implicitly requires root.

Thanks for clarifying that for me!

YoungOP

Apr 7, 2008
Atlanta
how is this done exactly on cyanogens rom? i cant find anything about it after searching for about an hour...

Yeah me and some people on another thread figured it out......

But first things first you need Windows XP service pack 3 or Windows Vista or Windows 7... I dont know about Mac.....

but Windows Xp is different than Vista or 7 because you need to download HTC sync to get the drivers for your G1 to be reconized as a modem..... Do not mount your G1..... once you have HTC sync installed you do not need to run it..... but now when you connect your G1 just check the internet tethering box and it should work(unless I missed a step)...

OK With Vista and Windows 7 the drivers are preloaded into the OS s do NOT need to download HTC synce... You just need to connect your phone do NOT mount and check the tehtering box... it should work....

disuse

May 6, 2009
Shanghai
diyism.com
Reverse tether g1 to pc network over usb cable

My android os is CyanogenMod 4.2.14.1,
1.Enable "Settings\Wireless controls\Internet tethering"
2.Install HTC Remote NDIS based Device driver(View attachment 277122)
3.Set the HTC adapter as: IP:192.168.2.1, Mask:255.255.255.0
4.Set the PC ethercard as shared connection
5.Run these codes in terminal:
su
ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
busybox route delete default
iptables -F
iptables -F -t nat
busybox route add default gw 192.168.2.1
setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8
setprop "net.gprs.http-proxy" ""

6.Now your g1 could open browser to view any web pages on the internet, and update apps in the Market.

for diyism

Last edited:

GuShPaNdA

Jul 27, 2010
just wanted to say that

This works on Nexus One as well!

The routing stuff disuse posted, I mean.

The only problem is that I can't download stuff from the market yet. But hopefully I'll find a solution to this soon.

Thanks a lot! I've been looking for this for like a whole week.
I think I'll write an app which will just run this as a shell script.

thanks again! :)

Noxxolous

Jan 24, 2010
Brooklyn
XBOX PS3 Wii anyone????

can someone please tell us or provide a step-by-step on how to have gaming consoles tether the device's web connectivity...or in other words how to make my xbox 360 connect to the web by tethering my device's internet....PLEASE PLEASE...I SWEAR I BUY BEER...I BUY BEER :D!!!

robarago

Sep 25, 2012
Reverse tethering not working with Play Store

This works on Nexus One as well!

The routing stuff disuse posted, I mean.

The only problem is that I can't download stuff from the market yet. But hopefully I'll find a solution to this soon.

Thanks a lot! I've been looking for this for like a whole week.
I think I'll write an app which will just run this as a shell script.

thanks again! :)

Sure, I've seen before two attempts of reverse tethering with this approach with the same problem: Play Store stays "Downloading" or "Waiting for network" but It doesn't work. I've tried also my own method with the same results: Play Store is not working.

I think this has something to do with the way Play Store app is testing for Internet conectivity. Since it doesn't know if you've got one, it doesn't let you download nothing.

Maybe there is some Android SDK API call to flag the system that Internet connection is up? Any other clue?