Introduce Brevent - Black Prevent without Root

liudongmiao

Mar 18, 2011
I, the original author of Prevent Running, now introduce Brevent.

In short, Prevent without Root. You can get it from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.piebridge.brevent or http://piebridge.me/br/, and source code: https://github.com/brevent/Brevent

There are several ways to prevent running for apps:
- Force-Stop, will set stopped state, no static broadcast, sinde Android 3.2, requires android.permission.FORCE_STOP_PACKAGES
-- can granted to privileged apps, /System/PrivApp
-- adb shell has it, Brevent can use

- App-Standby, since Android 6.0, requires android.permission.CHANGE_APP_IDLE_STATE
-- only granted to Framewok apps having the same singature with framework.apk
-- adb shell has it, Brevent can use

So as you can see, Brevent working on the adb shell, having the shell permission, and can do a lot of things.
Furthermore, Brevent use directy android hide methods, instead using dumpsys, am, cmd and so, more effective.

However, there is one restriction, as the permissions cannot be granted to apps, so Brevent requires you run the adb after every boot.
But, Brevent requires no-reboot to undate Brevent Server. And phone should be use, not for reboot.

Last edited:

BartlebytheScribe

May 29, 2017
Brevent not working

I execute the ADB command and it worked very briefly, but now it continuously says the server is not running. I try re-executing the ADB command, which says the server has started, but the app doesn't recognize it and still shows server not responding. Sometimes it will work and I'll start to mark apps to freeze, but then while doing that the "server not responding" message pops up again. Any ideas why?

danielcuervog

Mar 6, 2013
Neiva
Great app, but I have a problem. Play Store doesn't install any app, but when I restart the phone, it does. I suppose that an update of these app, it stop running a Google service.

liudongmiao

Mar 18, 2011
Executing on everyreboot not good enough cos not with computer everytime. u can create something like Airfrozen. Similar function but with root
If you have rooted, it's possible. And Brevent now supoort root mode as experimental feature.
If you have no root, it's not possible.

And there is some way like device administrator to gain some permission.
However, there is only a device administrator. And device administrator has no the permissions to standby / force-stop other apps.

Reactions: deboo117

liudongmiao

Mar 18, 2011
What happened to the root version?
Root version is the same with adb version, it can only avoid adb.
However, there are some issues on root version due to selinux and other issues.
For example, some rooted devices cannot dumpsys, which is required by Brevent.

If you have rooted, you can try root version.
And if it doesn't work, just create an issues on github: https://github.com/brevent/Brevent

Reactions: qounik and deboo117

liudongmiao

Mar 18, 2011
Great app, but I have a problem. Play Store doesn't install any app, but when I restart the phone, it does. I suppose that an update of these app, it stop running a Google service.
You *may* brevent some apps shouldn't be brevented, like packageinstaller or defcontainer.
I suggest you don't brevent system / framework apps if you're unsure.

For myself, I have brevented play store, and can install apps, and the play store can get update.

Last edited:
Reactions: deboo117

liudongmiao

Mar 18, 2011
I execute the ADB command and it worked very briefly, but now it continuously says the server is not running. I try re-executing the ADB command, which says the server has started, but the app doesn't recognize it and still shows server not responding. Sometimes it will work and I'll start to mark apps to freeze, but then while doing that the "server not responding" message pops up again. Any ideas why?
please create an issue on github with logs.

liudongmiao

Mar 18, 2011
Hi, If I'm rooted, should I keep Prevent running 2.3.2 or is Brevent better?
If you can use Prevent running 2.3.2, you probaly use Android 6.0-.

If you're tired of rooted / unlock / Xposed, you can try Brevent.
If you want to standby apps, you can try Brevent.

And IMO, Brevent is more intelligent:
1. back / home / recents list, both of them works well
2. standby, Brevent works greate.
3. UI. I think Brevent is nicer.

And please note, there are more users prefer Brevent to Prevent Running.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.piebridge.brevent&hl=en: less than 50,000 in one year, and no support.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.piebridge.forcestopgb&hl=en: more than 50,000 in short months.

There is no support from me for Prevent Running.
And, I'm sorry for old Prevent Running users, I shouldn't transfer it.

danielcuervog

Mar 6, 2013
Neiva
You *may* brevent some apps should be brevented, like packageinstaller or defcontainer.
I suggest you don't brevent system / framework apps if you're unsure.

For myself, I have brevented play store, and can install apps, and the play store can get update.
I have brevented some system useless apps, and I fixed the problem. This is a great alternative to Greenify in Non-root mode. Thanks pal!

liudongmiao

Mar 18, 2011
I have brevented some system useless apps, and I fixed the problem. This is a great alternative to Greenify in Non-root mode. Thanks pal!
Just find the typo.. "should be brevented", should be "shouldn't be brevented"...
Just be careful when brevent system apps.

On my pixel, it cost more battery when brevented all system apps.
// I just to check whether it will crash when brevent all system apps.

Reactions: 24imelqui

danielcuervog

Mar 6, 2013
Neiva
Hi, I have another problem. I updated the phone software and I can't re-activate Brevent. I have this message. I have a S7 edge with Nougat stock.

EDIT: I fixed the problem. I didn't read the new command.

Attachments

Last edited:

liudongmiao

Mar 18, 2011
Hi, I have another problem. I updated the phone software and I can't re-activate Brevent. I have this message. I have a S7 edge with Nougat stock.

EDIT: I fixed the problem. I didn't read the new command.
Previous command use /sdcard, in aosp, apps should have write permissions.
However, in some rom, Brevent has no permissions.
So I switch to "/data/data", and it's shorter.

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
i was under the impression it's generally not recommended to force quit apps and let Android handle them? i understand some apps misbehave, but over time would force quitting be bad?