Introduce yourself! What's your XDA story?

Search This thread

matt_voy

Aug 8, 2022
Hello everyone!
I'm a new member. I have a couple of old android devices, and I'm looking for inspiration on how to give them a new life.
My devices:
SGS3 mini
Acer Z330
MINIX Neo X7 mini - tv box
currently bricked ;) - Xiaomi Redmi 7A
And two Lenovo tablets

Also, I have a development board: NXP i.MX7Dual (ex Android Things) - and I'm going to turn this device into an Android Auto headunit.

Cheers all!

Reactions: orb3000
Aug 9, 2022
Hi! I'm a web-developer an an android fanboy! I was active quite a few years back when rooting was quite necessary in phones for some stuff... Though i've been out of the rooting / unlocking game for quite a while, now its time to a quick dive into this world again!

Cheers!

Dinky121/

Aug 8, 2022
Portugal
Hello, I'm a new member, since 2010 I've been passionate about trying new roms, every cell phone I buy, after a few months, I have to change the rom if there is support, I currently have two android devices, a mac computer and a computer, windows ,androids are Mi 9 and Mi Pad 4,but I'm still learning.

Sendak001

Aug 13, 2022
Nothing special about me...my wanting to join is to hopefully address certain issues that "may" arise in the functionality of apps that i use on my outdated asus z380 tablet. Iam not a dev btw. What better way to get help than on a dev help forum. Thx for having me. I will be extremely semi active through 2023.
Cheers

stotnek

Aug 15, 2022
Hi, I'm a new member 👋
Not a dev, not even an enthusiast, just a curious boy with minimum knowledge
I'm using Samsung M21

Thanks for the help so far, I've been reading this forum once in a while since around 2010 but I've just created an account because I can't seem to find the solution to this issue I'm having haha

Marfragift

Aug 17, 2022
Hi all, I am a 56-year old woman, trying to get to grips with some of the things that goes on in life. I like to fix things myself but most of the time I am not successful, so I have a lot to learn and room for improvement. I am interested in learning as much as I can on mobile phones and computers, but I have not qualifications on IT or anything like those subjects, so my learning is a lot by trial and error. I am trying to teach myself python, but it is not going that well. I get bored... However, as I like to fix my own things I have been told to join this XDA forum. It does look daunting - I don't even pretend to understand the jergon that you most use, but I am here...

Marfragift

Aug 17, 2022
My Cubot X50 NFC function stopped working. I made a payment in a coffee shop and 4 minutes later I could not use it anymore. The NFC function was dead, even when I had done nothing different. I have reset it the phone, to no avail. although the Google Wallet states that the NFC is on, it does not even vibrate when attempting to pay with it. Can anybody help me, please?

orb3000

Forum Moderator - Welcomer
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
hi - brand new here. looking for tips/info on a Android Auto interface.
Thanks all

Hello everyone!
I'm a new member. I have a couple of old android devices, and I'm looking for inspiration on how to give them a new life.
My devices:
SGS3 mini
Acer Z330
MINIX Neo X7 mini - tv box
currently bricked ;) - Xiaomi Redmi 7A
And two Lenovo tablets

Also, I have a development board: NXP i.MX7Dual (ex Android Things) - and I'm going to turn this device into an Android Auto headunit.

Cheers all!

Hi! I'm a web-developer an an android fanboy! I was active quite a few years back when rooting was quite necessary in phones for some stuff... Though i've been out of the rooting / unlocking game for quite a while, now its time to a quick dive into this world again!

Cheers!

Hello, I'm a new member, since 2010 I've been passionate about trying new roms, every cell phone I buy, after a few months, I have to change the rom if there is support, I currently have two android devices, a mac computer and a computer, windows ,androids are Mi 9 and Mi Pad 4,but I'm still learning.

Hi. New member. Trying to install LineageOS. Looking for help.

Thank you.

[ROM][Sv2][UNOFFICIAL][RETROFIT] LineageOS 19.1 for Mi 9 ,already installed,good rom,thanks for help.​

Nothing special about me...my wanting to join is to hopefully address certain issues that "may" arise in the functionality of apps that i use on my outdated asus z380 tablet. Iam not a dev btw. What better way to get help than on a dev help forum. Thx for having me. I will be extremely semi active through 2023.
Cheers

Hi, I'm a new member 👋
Not a dev, not even an enthusiast, just a curious boy with minimum knowledge
I'm using Samsung M21

Thanks for the help so far, I've been reading this forum once in a while since around 2010 but I've just created an account because I can't seem to find the solution to this issue I'm having haha

Hi all, I am a 56-year old woman, trying to get to grips with some of the things that goes on in life. I like to fix things myself but most of the time I am not successful, so I have a lot to learn and room for improvement. I am interested in learning as much as I can on mobile phones and computers, but I have not qualifications on IT or anything like those subjects, so my learning is a lot by trial and error. I am trying to teach myself python, but it is not going that well. I get bored... However, as I like to fix my own things I have been told to join this XDA forum. It does look daunting - I don't even pretend to understand the jergon that you most use, but I am here...

My Cubot X50 NFC function stopped working. I made a payment in a coffee shop and 4 minutes later I could not use it anymore. The NFC function was dead, even when I had done nothing different. I have reset it the phone, to no avail. although the Google Wallet states that the NFC is on, it does not even vibrate when attempting to pay with it. Can anybody help me, please?

Hello all, welcome to XDA!

Hentai/With/Senpai

Aug 17, 2022
I sold my used Newer Mazda for an extortionate price so instead of doing something good with the money I bought an abused JDM which needs a new radio.

The lack of anime girls in android auto always bothered me. So now that I don't have to worry about bricking my car, I'm here to see if I can fix that issue.

Sendak001

Aug 13, 2022
ive a complaint... i cant start any threads! Tried contacting a mod, no reply, wonderful. the reason/issue is...newpipe app keeps running into errors. Let it be known, its now considered a piece of junk. Probaley wont be much active here as a result of not able to post. Except replying like here

DANIEL_VBMETA

Aug 20, 2022
Redmi Note 9
hello, my name is Daniel, I've been browsing here for 15 days since my Xiaomi Redmi note 9 MTK, after being placed on the charger, went into an infinite loop, it only goes into fastboot mode but doesn't access recovery mode, since then I've tested several methods following the recovery project guide with SP FLASH TOOL tool but to no avail the cell keeps on loop. would like help.

81Leon

Aug 21, 2022
Hello boys,
I read you often and take you as a reference for the valuable information you write in your discussions.
I am passionate about technology and "tweaking" everything related to electronics, from cell phones to computers and more ... in short, I like to put my hand where possible, giving my own touch of personalization.

Nokia 1100

Aug 22, 2022
Hieeee i need help in deciding and purchasing it a phone under 80k indian rupees which can be rooted and also later use a custom rom

logandavid

Aug 23, 2022
NYC, US
Hi,

It's Logan here. I've been using XDA for some time for tutorials on how to root my phone, software fixes, etc. But finally, I've registered myself so that I can also help my fellow members and contribute to the community

Patchscrach

Aug 25, 2022
Hey everyone this is patchscrach from Kansas City, Mo USA area. I am new on here and am amazed at the great work that is going on here.From what I have seen so far there are multitudes of users are getting the help they need and also helping others as well. In my opinion this is how the world should work, everyone helping everyone no discrimination!!!! Thank you all for your cooperation and for providing this platform. I am currently working with Moto Hannah.XT1924-8 32GB P3.

seeker_user1

Aug 25, 2022
hey guys i am a newbie here.
i am an open source developer and contributor. Recently my interest towards android rom development increases alot so i decided to join xda developers
to start learning and expanding my knowledge in this domain. i tried RROS and lineage OS 18 and i found both of these ROMs really great
to tinker with RROS have alot of customization available and on the side lineage OS offer simple and clean ROM to start with.

iHibs69

Aug 27, 2022
Berthierville
Hi im Patrick follow the site since many year but dont create a profil but many of topics here helped me so i juste want to say thank u to everyone.
Sorry for m'y bad english im french canadien hahaha
I love samsung devices and hâte Apple since iPhone 5c
Im not a develloper/hacher or à coder im juste someone who love to study the sujets i like .
So my last word is...
Hello world...
Hahaha

Top Liked Posts

Hello everyone, I am Italian I apologize for the bad English. I am here because I am interested in everything related to the way of Android. I am happy to be part of this honorable forum.
    Greetings to all the staff.
    Vanni
    Hi Netra3441

Thank you sharing your heart warming story on how free development can be so meaningful in our lives. I'm sure @Ivan_Meler will be thrilled to read this and it will be an extra motivation for all our established developers but also those that are taking their very first steps in the wonderful world of Android development.

It doesn't always have to be a financial motivation. I'm convinced that all the continued development for legacy devices on XDA and far beyond has already had a tremendous positive impact on our climate.

On behalf of our team I warmly welcome you and others in similar situations to the XDA family :)

Cheers!
    Timmy
    Oh hey thanks for tagging me here, this actually made my day haha.
    Always love reading user feedback like this way more than donations as this is main reason why i even started messing with android and posting my work to xda.

Welcome to XDA @netra3441 and have a nice stay
    Hi alltogether, this is Netra3441.

I am an elder and severly handicaped person rolling in the wheelchair.

For me in my special situation the communication via a smartphone is highly important to survive and to have contact to the outer world. So I own a seven years old Samsung Galaxy S7, wich still runs properly, and I had upgraded it to LOS 19.1 using the very great and honourable work of XDA-member Ivan Meler!

For the very most people like me it is impossible spend money for new hardware.

So, it is a gift and a great pleasure for us, that you guys of XDA and of LOS do this work and help us folks in poverty allover the world to keep our old, but good mobile hardware with actual Android.

My respect and deep gratitude!

Thank you all!

But I am not just have a benefit about LOS.

I do help friends in my enviroment on strictly voluntary basis to get their mobile hardware upgraded to LOS, as far as possible technically. I also do help friends on strictly voluntary basis with their PCs and notebooks installing Linux on it. Myself I use Linux since more than 25 years.

Greetings to you all,
    Netra3441
    Hi alltogether, this is Netra3441.

I am an elder and severly handicaped person rolling in the wheelchair.

For me in my special situation the communication via a smartphone is highly important to survive and to have contact to the outer world. So I own a seven years old Samsung Galaxy S7, wich still runs properly, and I had upgraded it to LOS 19.1 using the very great and honourable work of XDA-member Ivan Meler!

For the very most people like me it is impossible spend money for new hardware.

So, it is a gift and a great pleasure for us, that you guys of XDA and of LOS do this work and help us folks in poverty allover the world to keep our old, but good mobile hardware with actual Android.

My respect and deep gratitude!

Thank you all!

But I am not just have a benefit about LOS.

I do help friends in my enviroment on strictly voluntary basis to get their mobile hardware upgraded to LOS, as far as possible technically. I also do help friends on strictly voluntary basis with their PCs and notebooks installing Linux on it. Myself I use Linux since more than 25 years.

Greetings to you all,
    Netra3441
    Hi Netra3441

Thank you sharing your heart warming story on how free development can be so meaningful in our lives. I'm sure @Ivan_Meler will be thrilled to read this and it will be an extra motivation for all our established developers but also those that are taking their very first steps in the wonderful world of Android development.

It doesn't always have to be a financial motivation. I'm convinced that all the continued development for legacy devices on XDA and far beyond has already had a tremendous positive impact on our climate.

On behalf of our team I warmly welcome you and others in similar situations to the XDA family :)

Cheers!
    Timmy
    Hiya all,

I have been aware of this forum for years, but have always been too nervous to do anything with my phone (which is generally always old) in fear of bricking it. There seems to be a lot of useful info on here and also a lot of very knowledgeable people. I hope I can learn a bit from you all, and if I can, help in the long run, however currently my knowledge in this field would make that a real stretch.

Still, live and learn.

zul
    Actually, this forum is so good that I didn't have the necessity to ever subscribe, as all the questions that I ever had concerning smartphones were already answered here.

But how did I find this place?
    Well, it was spring or maybe summer 2015 when a friend visited me from Portugal. He had that brand new and beautiful Galaxy Note 4, Samsung's flagship at that time, and wanted me to install a custom ROM on it. He left the phone with me and said he will pick it up next time he visits me.
    I played a few days with the phone and decided then to google for custom Android ROMs. That's how I found this site.
    I remember the bright background of the website and foremost the endless list of Custom ROMs, nicely put in categories for each model that ever existed, it was like discovering the internet for the very first time. A new world opened its gates for me.
    I downloaded the Cyanogen Mod, the predecessor of LineageOS and started the installation over Odin. Unfortunately, I unplugged the USB too early and bricked my friend's brand new phone!
    It took me some time and some drinks to recover from that shock, but after returning to XDA Developers, it took me just some minutes to find the solution to my problem.

Since then, I'm a lurker here and somehow also a thief, as I modded every phone that passed through my fingers with XDA Software/Knowledge, without giving something in return.

I have learned one very important thing here at this place. When you follow a guide, you should follow it 100% otherwise it will end in absolute failure.
    I broke the screen of my Huawei Mate 30 Pro recently and found a LIO-L29 replacement screen for $299 on eBay, but I needed a phone instantly, so I bought an Honor 50 instead. I love it, but I missed my Mate, so I bought a new one. It had already the newest EMUI 12 installed, and I wanted to downgrade to 10 for installing GMS.
    I followed @badmania98's Huawei P40 thread as it has the same software as the Mate 30, but couldn't get it to work. Until I went back to his post and read the whole f***ing text to find out that I have to use the latest version of HiSuite with EMUI 12. While I was trying it with dload over OTG (USB-C Stick) the entire time.

Now I'm here just for fun and to say thank you for all these years of support.

I have an IT background that goes far back into the last century, starting already as a kid in the late 1970ies, losing my virginity to a Tandy TRS-80, then came the Atari era, the Commodore 64, Intel's 8086, 80-286, 80-386 and so on. Got early some certificates in programming (BASIC, COBOL, Pascal, C# etc.) but got extremely distracted by the opposite sex, so the programming path discontinued for a while:
    Went from Europe to New York in the early 80's, mostly for girls and partying, then a few years in LA, actually for studying, but got distracted by the girls again. Afterwards to Asia for about a decade. First year there just partying again, only girls in my head, later became more adult-like and married a Chinese girl there and then returned with her to Europe in 1996 again, where I'm at right now.

When the Internet came into being (the first provider was in April 1996 at my location), I learned HTML, CSS, PHP, Python, C++, Java, JavaScript (later also with all its associations like AJAX, JSON etc.). Networking and especially network security studies also took a good portion of my lifetime. Started intense work with Linux Servers (CentOS or Debian mostly) Apache and MySQL Databases in 2001 until presence. Forced to learn and to manage Microsoft Servers and the entire Azure Infrastructure, forced to learn Google Infrastructure and its endless services, to keep up to date and to finally keep the job.

Got into extreme pc overclocking from 2005 till 2010, still using a first gen Core i7 965 @ 4GHz from 2009 right now. Mounted on an X58 DFI LANParty board with UEFI support for my NVMe Samsung 970 SSDs over Tianocore (UEFI DUET), running on Windows 11.

Well versed on all versions of Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android. Well versed on CMS WordPress and Joomla (both business related). Like to play around with Xcode, Visual Studio, Android Studio, Eclipse a lot. When time allows me days not just hours, I like to delve into 3D graphics and animation, mostly with Blender or Maya in combination with Photoshop. Other 3D programs that I use in combination are Makehuman, Poser Pro and ZBrush.
    Newest serious hobbies are reverse engineering tools like Ghidra and IDA Pro. Newest fun hobbies are 3D engines Unreal Engine, Unity, Epic Games. Further interests are in deepfakes and one thing that I've discovered here: KLWP.

My hobbies in real life are martial arts and body building (without roids now) for the physical body, science, literature and philosophy for the mind, and music, meditation, cooking, some good wine and a good smoke for the soul. I like to watch Movies but more and more the TV series which became better and better by the day.

That's it, you know now everything that is legal to be known.
    HI you guys are awesome
    Well hi all, I'm 'new', but not really that new, since I've been searching through XDA topics on many occasions for quite a few years now. Not sure why it took me so long to actually make an account, but here I am.
    So about me - half geek, half creative, F/LOSS enthusiast for over 20 years, full time Linux user since 2006, interested in way to many subjects to ever become a specialist in any of them within at least a dozen of life spans. Hence I don't think I'll ever be able to call myself a developer, but hey, we'll see ;-)
    More than anything, XDA is a community, and we're all here for different reasons.

Some are here to mod their phone--some joined just to ask a question. Or perhaps, like many, you joined so long ago, you have no idea why you're here (which is totally fine! we've been around for almost a decade). :cool: And we're in the process of making XDA more useful to everyone here now that we've moved to much better forum software.

But we'd love to know your XDA story: why are you here, and who are you? What's your day job, what phones do you have, where do you live, what do you like to do for fun? We'd love to get to know you!

Also, be sure to spend some time filling out your profile:

And also adding what phones you have to your inventory:

:cowboy: thanks and welcome. I'm one of the guys in charge and my DMs are always open if you ever want to chat or even complain.

Go ahead and make a new thread in this forum instead of replying to this post.
    Hello everyone, i'm back here after a long, long time

I used to read alot here when i was 10 - 15 but I think i switched to iOs during 2010s and i never really had my phone in the center of my occupations so i bought some macbook & iphone and i started to learn code. (mostly js)

I would be really happy to help users here, if i can, and discuss about my new device. ;) 2020s seems to be redditable as **** tbh, the xda lost kid became some kind of creative dev who's going back to the r00t

Thank you for everything I have read here over the last years!
    My story? I'm not paying over $150 for a phone anymore. I am sick and tired of companies bricking phones and taking my cash when they're perfectly usable and up to spec. I registered a few minutes ago as I find this forum to be great for mainly the old(er) Samsung devices I buy. You flash a custom ROM on one of those old babies and you have yourself a new phone. My next plan to is to hunt down a Note 7, stick a safer S7 edge battery in it (as it's compatible) and have fun.