iPhone 4 vs Android (My Comparison)

Search This thread

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
  • Screen Resolution - iPhone 4 Win
  • Multitouch - iPhone always implementing it well. iPhone is more than 2 touch where this is main drawback of Nexus One.
  • Customization - Android win, android more freedom and greatly support widget. iPhone interface the only can change is wallpaper and icons (after jailbreak)
  • Battery Life - can't ready said now yet but Apple is well good on it previous iPhone devices. Nexus One battery is ready bad, I need charging everyday.
  • Apps - Equal
  • Games & Fun - iPhone win, Android only got few high quality games compare with tons of iPhone.
  • Video Record - I give to iPhone, remember iPhone have a stunning editing function on video recording. iPhone3Gs video record already better than Nexus One, I hardly find any ghost effect on it, due to this, I believe quality of iPhone 4 video record shall be better than it.
  • Folder - iPhone 4 OS is perfectly great on this.
  • Copy & Paste - the way iPhone implement it still the best and easier.
  • Screen size - Nexus One win, how come iPhone 4 still same 3.5 inch.

** I also got iPod touch, that why I never interested on iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs, but this iPhone 4 is something different, which make me tempting ont it. :D

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
It's so funny to read those comments.

That's plain stupid / blind / suspected "reality distortion" effect.

There is no need to start name-calling and be disrespectful to other posters. Please read the forum rules once again. This is a warning to you. This is just a freaking phone, people, no need to get worked up over it.

Proclaiming "better battery life' without even seeing the device, much less testing one, by just reading the spec (and forgetting to compare it to other specs)?

Ok I will admit, I have not used the iPhone 4 or seen a review with actual usage, but based on the A4 design -- apparently it has better power management -- plus the fact the wireless antenna is integrated into the metal casing rather than increasing power to the radio, and a 19% bigger battery, leads me to believe there will be a slight improvement. However I am also aware that the higher resolution display will suck a lot of battery juice.

- Video recording quality? Again, without measuring / comparing side by side? Evo has better one. Why? Because it's 720p and because I say so. That's just about the same reasoning, bare words.

That is a poor analogy because we already know that Evo (and in general, all HTC devices) takes poor indoor videos. 10fps with an Evo and a Nexus One in a decently-lit room does not cut it. Nexus One videos also have crappy 8kbps AMR audio recording. The iPhone 3GS had better video capability than pretty much any HTC Android or WM device to date. I think the Milestone has very good video recording capability however.

- Accessories are per phone device, not per OS, and are complete fiction. If tomorrow someone sticks Android on iPhone - you'll have the same "accessories" argument reversed. See my point?

No I don't see your point, because if I buy any Android-OS based device my first worry is where to get my accessories - in Canada at least. This is not fiction. For every iPhone OS-based device you will find no shortage of accessories in any electronic shop. I have yet to see anything of decent quality for a single Android device in my country, other than a gel case for the Hero and a crappy plastic case for the Milestone. Why do I need to keep buying and trying and throwing out so many cases? I don't just mean cases, but other accessories as well. Reviews are always there, but I would prefer to see them in my hand before I make a purchase.

Sour grape mentality has nothing to do with some people not being able to compare things correctly.

It has a lot to do with how we compare things correctly. Keep an open mind and acknowledge what the competition has to offer rather than hiding behind the rose-coloured glasses of fanboy-ism and giving excuses. I am not pro-Apple by any means, but I do acknowledge that they have a solid device.

That's not to say it's better than my Nexus One, however. I can think of a lot of things that my N1 has over the iPhone 3GS/4 - we have already covered them here.

Last edited:

typ_ex

Aug 17, 2009
Norman, OK
FLASH - I remember waiting impatiently for the Froyo leak for my Nexus One just a few weeks back. I couldn't wait to try Flash 10.1 Beta. It’s been two weeks and I can’t remember the last time I used Flash. This is very sad. Maybe Steve Jobs was right after all. Regardless, Flash opens up opportunities. Android users can now go away from the market and play their favorite online game, or even watch their favorite TV Shows.
(Winner - Android) But Adobe need to do hard on this, the beta 10.1 is not that well done yet.

And we all know that Betas are supposed to be perfect!

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
There is no need to start name-calling and be disrespectful to other posters. Please read the forum rules once again. This is a warning to you. This is just a freaking phone, people, no need to get worked up over it.
I hate "reality distortion", or let's call it "subconscious bias", for reasons that aren't related to phones (or Steve Jobs, or Apple, or Android, or whatever technical) even a slightest bit. Your point is taken, though. Sorry.

Ok I will admit, I have not used the iPhone 4 or seen a review with actual usage, but based on the A4 design -- apparently it has better power management -- plus the fact the wireless antenna is integrated into the metal casing rather than increasing power to the radio, and a 19% bigger battery, leads me to believe there will be a slight improvement. However I am also aware that the higher resolution display will suck a lot of battery juice.
In addition to higher resolution display, new "multitasking" needs to be taken into account, limited but potentially causing more drain nonetheless. I believe the radio power isn't affected in any way by being behind plastic, so the antenna argument might not hold ground.

It has a lot to do with how we compare things correctly. Keep an open mind and acknowledge what the competition has to offer rather than hiding behind the rose-coloured glasses of fanboy-ism and giving excuses. I am not pro-Apple by any means, but I do acknowledge that they have a solid device.
This is not the reasoning. Board reviews of the new iPhone are currently looking like the hype that surrounded Nexus before its release - everyone praising the new features as "the best of the best" before real-world testing and comparisons. All the current posts show bias - either "latest and greatest" bias, or "this is mine, this is better" bias. Both are equally wrong.

rjhay22

Dec 16, 2009
Torrance. California
1.Most of the problems associated with living in Apple's walledgarden are still not fixed. You are still too dependant on having Steve Jobs decide what you can download and when. Since Jobs thinks that Adobe Flash is bad and won't allow it on Apple devices, you can't see half of what's out on the web.

2.The name implies that it is a 4th generation mobile phone when it is actually still 3G. Apple says that it is the Iphone 4, however some might be dumb enough to believe that it can use the 4th generation wireless broadband standards, although it really can't.

3.The Iphone 4 appears to have trouble with WiFi. Apple is historically quite bad at engineering WiFi products that work. Many of its flaws have been related to Airport. When Jobs attempted to show off the Iphone 4 yesterday the WiFi did not not work. Jobs claimed it was because there were too many people using WiFi in the Moscone conference centre, but we have to take his word for that. The Apple Ipad has a similar problem in that you have to be practically sitting on a wireless router for it to get a decent WiFi connection. This is ironic as the Iphone 4 is has a stainless-steel band around the outside edge that Apple says is designed to improve WiFi network reception, but it still doesn't seem to work very well.

4.The Iphone 4 is selling on its video-calling program, called FaceTime.However this is limited to WiFi networks for now, which means that the best thing about the Iphone 4 will not work in most locations unless you happen to be near a WiFi hot spot. Also you can only conference with other Iphone 4 users. We have already seen that the Iphone 4 has problems with WiFi.

5.The Iphone 4, while thinner, still has that easy to slip out of your hands shape. This means that you have to buy those covers which bulk the thing out again. It also still has a plastic back which can be scratched and break.

6. A 16GB model is priced at $199, and a 32GB version will sell for $299. The markups on the devices are outrageous. The monthly charges on contracts are higher than with other smartphones because not only are the network operators subsidising Apple's ridiculously high prices for the devices, but Apple also demands a cut, said to be up to 30 per cent, of users monthly charges, further driving up the cost.

7.Judging by Apple's previous behaviour the Iphone 4 will be out of date within a year, although most mobile phone contracts are for two years.

8.Something more Androidish in a smartphone does more for the same price, without the Apple lock in.

9.The Iphone 4 is built by Chinese wage-slaves working 12-hour shifts in conditions that have led to a rash of suicides, and Apple has called police to suppress freedom of the press. While the Iphone 4 is not 'less moral' than the Iphone 3G, users now have less excuse to turn a blind eye to how the product is made.

10. It uses Bing instead of Google for Internet search.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Video Chat over 3G - I’m sorry Apple. If I wanted to video chat on my WiFi connection, I would head over to my Mac. Thanks for trying though. (Winner - Android)

i think its funny that because the new iphone has video chat, but only over wifi, its a fail for apple. yet android doesnt even have video chat AT ALL (for the most part until the evo lol). wouldnt that be a fail for android since apple has it and android does not? btw i hate apple!

rjhay22

Dec 16, 2009
Torrance. California
You just said the Evo has it. Why is it a fail on androids part? The iPhone just got it too :) by the way the other android devices are capable of doing video chat, just impractical since we don't have a front cam. :p

i think its funny that because the new iphone has video chat, but only over wifi, its a fail for apple. yet android doesnt even have video chat AT ALL (for the most part until the evo lol). wouldnt that be a fail for android since apple has it and android does not? btw i hate apple!

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
I believe that it won't take long for Fring to be available for the new iPhone, and they'll have a normal video chat too.

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I hate iPhones, but the new iPhone 4 does look pretty sexy. It has a manly strong look to it instead of the girly designs of the past.

While the hardware does sound pretty awesome for a mobile device, the underlying OS is really what kills it. Being a long time Windows Mobile fan because of the openness and customization... Android feels like it has the best from both worlds. A great GUI on a customizable OS.

I would like to say that even though this is the 4th OS update, it does look like the iPhone OS is shaping up nicely. I'm glad they are joining the game.

iPhone 4 + Android = good combo.

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
1.Most of the problems associated with living in Apple's walledgarden are still not fixed. You are still too dependant on having Steve Jobs decide what you can download and when. Since Jobs thinks that Adobe Flash is bad and won't allow it on Apple devices, you can't see half of what's out on the web.

I agree. What annoys me is that the new iPad commercial (and most likely the same will be said for new iPhone commercials), where it says you can browse the "full web". Yeah right, you mean 1/3 the web, without any Flash, and also in mobile mode by default. I feel sorry for the people who are misled like this, but a fool will always get fooled...

5.The Iphone 4, while thinner, still has that easy to slip out of your hands shape. This means that you have to buy those covers which bulk the thing out again. It also still has a plastic back which can be scratched and break.

I respectfully disagree.. I would welcome a thinner device in my pocket. A hard case would still make it as thin as an N1.

6. A 16GB model is priced at $199, and a 32GB version will sell for $299. The markups on the devices are outrageous. The monthly charges on contracts are higher than with other smartphones because not only are the network operators subsidising Apple's ridiculously high prices for the devices, but Apple also demands a cut, said to be up to 30 per cent, of users monthly charges, further driving up the cost.

However, if you have an existing SIM with a data plan for another smartphone, I think you can still swap it into the iPhone and it will work without any price hike.

7.Judging by Apple's previous behaviour the Iphone 4 will be out of date within a year, although most mobile phone contracts are for two years.

This is why I prefer to wait it out for HTC to come out with their next superphone. I don't think I want to wait one year between phones, when there are new technologies coming out all the time.

9.The Iphone 4 is built by Chinese wage-slaves working 12-hour shifts in conditions that have led to a rash of suicides, and Apple has called police to suppress freedom of the press. While the Iphone 4 is not 'less moral' than the Iphone 3G, users now have less excuse to turn a blind eye to how the product is made.

Probably the main reason I don't want an iPhone.

10. It uses Bing instead of Google for Internet search.

I thought Google is still the default - Bing is just another option.

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
This is not the reasoning. Board reviews of the new iPhone are currently looking like the hype that surrounded Nexus before its release - everyone praising the new features as "the best of the best" before real-world testing and comparisons. All the current posts show bias - either "latest and greatest" bias, or "this is mine, this is better" bias. Both are equally wrong.

I agree with you on that last point, I also fell for that N1 hype, without even trying it.. I sold my Milestone as soon as the N1 was announced, but now I sort of regret it. The N1 still has a lot of shortcomings and I am still looking for the "perfect" Android phone. It's a shame that simple things like video recording quality (+ audio codec) and auto-brightness have not been addressed. Plus the lack of a quality multi-touch screen which would come in handy for games.

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
They is no PERFECT phone in the world forever. Any manufacture do perfect phone means cut it own future.

Android is great but not means iPhone is bad and people using it or having it is fool.

Every phone / even any kind of product got it pros and cons. Nothing is perfect. PERFECT does not exist in this world.

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
They is no PERFECT phone in the world forever. Any manufacture do perfect phone means cut it own future.

Android is great but not means iPhone is bad and people using it or having it is fool.

Every phone / even any kind of product got it pros and cons. Nothing is perfect. PERFECT does not exist in this world.

"Perfect" depends on how you define it, not what someone tells you. For myself the Nexus One is close to perfect, for now. I used to think my HTC Diamond was the ultimate phone for me, based on my requirements 2 years ago. Maybe a few months down the road I'll want more features, but right now the N1 does most of what I want from a smartphone.

I didn't say that people using iPhones were fools.

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
"Perfect" depends on how you define it, not what someone tells you. For myself the Nexus One is close to perfect, for now. I used to think my HTC Diamond was the ultimate phone for me, based on my requirements 2 years ago. Maybe a few months down the road I'll want more features, but right now the N1 does most of what I want from a smartphone.

I didn't say that people using iPhones were fools.
Eh, I didn't said Perfect came from someone telling you and I also never said you mean iPhones user were fools. Since when I quote your message? Funny.

I said no perfect phone/product (actually anythings in this world) ever release because that is impossible, unless your expectation is low, then everythings is perfection.

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Eh, I didn't said Perfect came from someone telling you and I also never said you mean iPhones user were fools. Since when I quote your message? Funny.

I had earlier said I was looking for a 'perfect' phone and you followed up by saying nothing's perfect. So I replied by saying it depends on what one personally defines as perfect. I also said people who fall for iPad marketing schemes are fools, and you followed up by saying iPhone users are not all fools. Sorry if there was miscommunication, it was not meant to criticize you.

I said no perfect phone/product (actually anythings in this world) ever release because that is impossible, unless your expectation is low, then everythings is perfection.

I agree, if there was universal perfection then of course there would be no competition, no jobs, etc.

Last edited:

xdZKu7

Apr 3, 2010
With regards to CPU and Snapdragon vs A4 keep in mind that the A4 is (also) just a Samsung-built Cortex A8 system on a chip with an apple-logo slapped onto it. It's allegedly the same CPU that the Samsung uses for their own Galaxy S.

Use google translate on this source for some more info:
http://www.digi.no/844342/samme-kjerne-i-iphone-4-og-samsung-mobil

And please also remember the Froyo-demo from the keynote showing the Nexus One lapping the iPad in a html 5 benchmark (CPU and javascript benchmark).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQFXRW5ZiE @ 7:40

Here's anandtech's comparison of the iPad A4 vs Nexus Snapdragon (android 2.1):
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3633/apples-a4-soc-faster-than-snapdragon
Against android 2.1 the iPad has a typical advantage of 10-30%. It is reasonable to assume that the iPad has a higher clock than the iPhone, reducing that advantage considerably. Taking into account Froyo JIT and it's not unreasonable to find that the Snapdragon is at least on par with the A4, except in the graphics department (a place where it's known to be lacking*).

And even then we can relax and say we have the same processor on Android if it turns out to genuinly be a lot better (Galaxy S).

*) At least the Snapdragon on the Nexus and Desire. From what I remember the SE X10 has a different and more powerful graphics core.

MaximReapage

May 11, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Actually, you can't really compare the talk times of the batteries. Give us mAh specs

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App