Is anyone able to use the DirecTV app on the Shield Android TV?

Search This thread

saulin78

Aug 27, 2015
Hey guys. Does anyone have a working apk of the DirecTV app for the Nvidia Shield Android TV?

It looks like it has HDMI protection and just fails to stream. Has anyone been able to remove the protection on the .smali file that has it?

NVIDIAOWNS

Sep 5, 2016
What is the exact error that you are receiving? I use to be able sideload a Direct TV apk for either the phone or the tablet but now they have stop working. When it worked fine it was amazing. I was able to watch my subscribed premiums. I think we need to incentivize developers to find a means of allowing functionality through our Nvidia Shield. I will pledge a 300 bounty for the first person that finds a work around. There are many gifted people on this forum and as a whole we can solve this issue.

usmcnyc

Feb 18, 2008
Not sure if it's an HDMI block because if you notice certain channels do work (local NBC works for me as well as ESPN channels). I'm inclined to think the device isn't giving the proper location access to the app thus forcing the error for most channels. Just my 2 cents.

usmcnyc

Feb 18, 2008
I experimented with a custom ROM yesterday and the DIRECTV app worked great on it. I don't think the app has an HDMI block, I think it's more that the stock rom restricts the necessary permissions or location requests.

anibal1975

Jun 7, 2015
What android tv box are you using? Are you using the latest directv version (phone or tablet)? What custom ROM you use?

usmcnyc

Feb 18, 2008
I have a shield TV and I'm using zulu99's full android marshmellow firmware. There isn't any controller support so you'll have to pair with a mouse/keyboard but pretty much all apps work on it.

Zhor888

Sep 1, 2013
Hey guys, I am in the same situation. I have found two other threads on the issue. It is definitely not an HDMI issue or a WiFi issue. Someone has tried to fool the app on what device it's on and it worked but it was too much work. There must be a simpler way to achieve this.

drewx32

Jul 17, 2016
Hey guys, I am in the same situation. I have found two other threads on the issue. It is definitely not an HDMI issue or a WiFi issue. Someone has tried to fool the app on what device it's on and it worked but it was too much work. There must be a simpler way to achieve this.

I would love to see someone figure this out. I have tried to tinker, but I am just not smart enough to make it happen. Hopefully one of the many crazy smart dev's will take a look at this sometime. ((fingers crossed))

estilosystems

Sep 16, 2012
I would love to see someone figure this out. I have tried to tinker, but I am just not smart enough to make it happen. Hopefully one of the many crazy smart dev's will take a look at this sometime. ((fingers crossed))

The Direct TV app now is working I have the same issue but i think it was an ATT issue but its working as of 10/19/16 :D
but not working on my note 4 :confused:

raygjr

May 4, 2011
DirecTV now

Hi, DirecTV Now app is not in my Google play store ! I'm using Nvidia shield TV. Any reason why it's not showing up ..
Thanks

hught78

Dec 1, 2016
I would love to use the DirecTV Now app on the nVidia Shield too. I extracted the APK from the app I installed on my Pixel XL, and loaded it on the Shield, but I get the following error:
failed to connect to aeg-umsgw.quickplay.com/23.101.201.149 (port443) after 10000ms

Man, life would be good if they'd release this app for the Shield.

mattvandoes

Dec 2, 2016
Ok, so I was able to extract the Fire TV .apk file and sideload onto my Nvidia Shield TV. I was able to open it and navigate using the standard Shield remote. The only issue I am having is playing live TV content. Sometimes it loaded fine and other times it gives me an error and telling me to Refresh the content. Seems to be very buggy for Android TV. Here is a link to the extracted .apk file. I would like to see what you guys get trying this out.

uploadfiles.io/52771#.WEGhSyGy1_U.email

zuluthreat

Dec 7, 2016
** DIRECTv APK **

What is the exact error that you are receiving? I use to be able sideload a Direct TV apk for either the phone or the tablet but now they have stop working. When it worked fine it was amazing. I was able to watch my subscribed premiums. I think we need to incentivize developers to find a means of allowing functionality through our Nvidia Shield. I will pledge a 300 bounty for the first person that finds a work around. There are many gifted people on this forum and as a whole we can solve this issue.

I got mine working. I did a Sideload APK install from APK Mirror "DIRECTV for Tablets 4.7.015 by DIRECTV, LLC --- September 9, 2016" (select that version)

My problem was that I kept trying to use the Telephone version of this App. I did not know that DirecTv has a Tablet APK version as well that is very similar but has slight variations for older tablets. Let me know if yours works now. I don't need $300, but a $10 Starbucks gift card will do...

*** SINCE I am new to this forum I cant post the link *** Go to the APKMIRROR website and search "Directv" -> then select-> "DIRECTV for Tablets 4.7.015"

Enjoy.

jp712

Sep 10, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I got mine working. I did a Sideload APK install from APK Mirror "DIRECTV for Tablets 4.7.015 by DIRECTV, LLC --- September 9, 2016" (select that version)

My problem was that I kept trying to use the Telephone version of this App. I did not know that DirecTv has a Tablet APK version as well that is very similar but has slight variations for older tablets. Let me know if yours works now. I don't need $300, but a $10 Starbucks gift card will do...

*** SINCE I am new to this forum I cant post the link *** Go to the APKMIRROR website and search "Directv" -> then select-> "DIRECTV for Tablets 4.7.015"

Enjoy.

It seems there is some confusion and contusion between the DirecTV apps. The hot new toppic is about the DirecTV NOW service. I ran the search on APKmirror and it seems what you are talking about is the older app for DirecTV satellite service customers.

http://www.apkmirror.com/?s=Directv&post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk

th3g1z

Mar 29, 2011
I am referring to the DirecTV app that is for satellite customers, NOT the Now app.

I was able to download the tablet version of the DirecTV app and use it on my Nexus Player running stock 7.1.1 system, but you have to use a mouse; the app is designed for touch input and while you can sort of use the remote, there are a bunch of things you cannot press without using a mouse. Still hoping for some official support at.. using a mouse isn't ideal. Here is the latest apk file: updated 11/24/2016 v. 4.9.010

http://www.filedropper.com/dtv

frozn00

Nov 3, 2010
Resurrecting this old thread. Do you still use the directv app on your shield and is it working ok? Do you have a more recent apk you can share? For anyone reading this I am looking for the DirecTV app NOT the DirecTV Now app. Thank you!