Is anyone else annoyed with all of the seemingly negative reviews everywhere?

Search This thread

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Oh I agree with you [emoji817] with Samsung devices. My in-laws got Note 10+ 5G phones on a BOGO deal and while messing around with it, I totally don't miss their software. What's up with there app drawer NOT being alphabetical by default and they dumb down things like the screen resolution and the photo/video resolutions by default as well.

Problem is Google priced 4 XL okay versus the iPhone 11 Pro Max but the 4 is overpriced versus the 11. And overall, they didn't take into account someone like OnePlus which, by the numbers, is a better deal. The only thing that OnePlus does weaker than Pixel phones is the camera and it's not that far behind. That's why I keep reiterating it should've been price close to OnePlus prices but Google being Google, they priced it "cheaper" than Samsung and Apple.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I never really looked at OnePlus phones. I just took a look and they are priced very well. I agree, the P4s should have been similar or maybe just $100 more. But I can't find a small OnePlus like 5" display. Everything seems 6+ (is that the reason for the name Plus?) I presume you meant the iPhone 11 Pro above but even now it's $1000 vs $599 (discounted) for the P4. Same size and just a little better than the P4 that's a lot of moolah to be throwing Apple's way. And here's the kicker. Apple will give you trade-in but only for an iPhone. I mean really guys? At the Google store they have trade-in values for every phone including iPhone. If they would have given me even $200 for my 3a with a BF deal of $200 off then it would have been a coin toss vs. the P4. Perhaps one day if Google keeps this battery as tiny as it is. 3800 minimum for the P5 and 4300 for the P5 XL. Then it's a horse race. Oh yeah, give us a wide angle too so we can shut up all the trolls.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
I never really looked at OnePlus phones. I just took a look and they are priced very well. I agree, the P4s should have been similar or maybe just $100 more. But I can't find a small OnePlus like 5" display. Everything seems 6+ (is that the reason for the name Plus?) I presume you meant the iPhone 11 Pro above but even now it's $1000 vs $599 (discounted) for the P4. Same size and just a little better than the P4 that's a lot of moolah to be throwing Apple's way. And here's the kicker. Apple will give you trade-in but only for an iPhone. I mean really guys? At the Google store they have trade-in values for every phone including iPhone. If they would have given me even $200 for my 3a with a BF deal of $200 off then it would have been a coin toss vs. the P4. Perhaps one day if Google keeps this battery as tiny as it is. 3800 minimum for the P5 and 4300 for the P5 XL. Then it's a horse race. Oh yeah, give us a wide angle too so we can shut up all the trolls.

No I did mean 11 (non-Pro) versus the Pixel 4 because naturally people compare those because of the prices. I'm with you that the Pixel 4 and 4 XL really compare to the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max though. But the 3a, and soon 4a, isn't exactly in the same tier as the 11 non-Pro either.

Apple's trade-in is incredible though and it's basically to keep Apple customers coming back. Google's was a joke for my 2 XL and I sold it on Swappa to get a good $200 (which is still weak) versus Google's $120-ish quote.

Yeah maybe the 5th time is the charm to keeping the trolling and complaining to a minimum. I bet the screen will still be the weakest hardware aspect. Haha.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
No I did mean 11 (non-Pro) versus the Pixel 4 because naturally people compare those because of the prices. I'm with you that the Pixel 4 and 4 XL really compare to the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max though. But the 3a, and soon 4a, isn't exactly in the same tier as the 11 non-Pro either.

Apple's trade-in is incredible though and it's basically to keep Apple customers coming back. Google's was a joke for my 2 XL and I sold it on Swappa to get a good $200 (which is still weak) versus Google's $120-ish quote.

Yeah maybe the 5th time is the charm to keeping the trolling and complaining to a minimum. I bet the screen will still be the weakest hardware aspect. Haha.

So I just went on VZW site and the 512GB version of the 11 Pro is... $1349. I think I'd need to find a good divorce attorney before I bought that or a good football helmet as she comes at me with the Louisville Slugger. The only way I could even justify the $599 for my lowly P4 was to show her the $300 I got for my P3a on Swappa. Are they coming out with a P4a? I went from the P3 to the 3a simply because of DSDS. I'm ok with this P4 for the year but back to the iPhone. That display is just drop dead gorgeous. Looking at both side by side there is no comparison but, ...well it's an iPhone. If someone can get Android on the iPhone natively now we're talking.

driss.sadok

Jul 29, 2015
Casablanca
So after reading the hole thing, watching every review on youtube, i couldn't wait a minute to own a 4XL from now. Im abt to buy a new phone but am very confused when i watch youtube reviews until i decided to buy a 1+ 7T. but thanks god i read your points of view here, as i was feeling that something doesn't let me make the choice yet, so i wait what to see ppl think abt 4XL.
I'm using the 3XL the whole year, remember the design big notch...... but still it was the best phone of 2018 out there, couldn't find better even with cracked screen, i keep using it and even if i had the chance to buy a new phone it would be the 3XL. BECAUSE of the google's smooth software experience. everything is easy and helpful and so smart. from machine learning to the results u get when u search for something. for my friends who own Samsung and Apple phones, pixel phones is just a mind blowing when talking abt Camera and software experience.
ADVICE What makes me want this phone more, that everyone who likes to get the software updates asap, is that

*Imagine if the Android 11 is out there in couple of months, we will be the first to test it and own it!
*And if there are more phones in the future with Soli Radar, we will be the only ppl from 2019 who can have this feature.

For me this two stupid ideas can convince me easily to take it beside all what you guys said.

dhorgas

Oct 15, 2012
You want to shut up the trolls you need to get Google to put out a phone that is free of nonsensical compromises and obvious faults that a monkey would spot if trained to point out QC issues. I'm on my 3rd Pixel 4 XL since launch and Google really fell short on what could have been a great device to deliver what is at best a "meh" device. The battery life even in the XL is only average, if not below average. This is not a workhorse phone. The camera is very good, but lacks wide-angle, which is very useful to have when you're trying to use the device to take pictures in tight spaces or want to capture say a view at the beach. Is this a critical omission? No, but it is one that didn't need to happen, especially on a device that is all about the camera. Most importantly though, the display. This is one of the worst displays since OLED launched. The colours are completely off as soon as the phone is not running at high brightness levels. Green tint is present on every phone, making it virtually impossible to use the device at lower (sub 50%) brightness levels. Shadows and blacks are some of the worst I've seen, and are generally lacking or crushed even at high brightness levels. You can't appreciate just how bad the display is until you put it side by side with a Samsung flagship or an iPhone X or newer. This is a wholly avoidable issue, yet Google is so far refusing to even admit it exists despite numerous reports. So yeah, the negative sentiments are unfortunately justified. On the whole, this phone is sub-par. This despite the fact that I own one and am still trying my best to justify keeping it for the long term.

dhorgas

Oct 15, 2012
Uh. You must've not had the Pixel 2 XL then. This is way better than that.
Skipped it for that reason. Expected Google to have learned the lesson. I compare this display to that of the BlackBerry Z30. One of the worst OLEDs I ever saw.

@dhorgas I said get rid of the trolls not bring them out of the woodwork. Jeez. Lol. Why would you keep this device if you are that unhappy? Just curious. You might only lose $100 on the resale.
There are lots of software things I like that I don't get on my iPhone and Samsung devices. This is reason enough to try.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
@EeZeEpEe Sorry, I didn't mean for this interesting discussion to degrade into a rant against the device. I guess I should have known better by now.

@dhorgas You should just sell the device and buy a different Android if you like the platform and software. There's really no reason to go off on the phone if you hate it when you can very easily sell it for almost what you paid. Understand, this thread has basically run its course with negative comments that are not constructive. But thanks for contributing.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Skipped it for that reason. Expected Google to have learned the lesson. I compare this display to that of the BlackBerry Z30. One of the worst OLEDs I ever saw.
Yeah so you don't know what a terrible OLED screen really is. [emoji6] LOL. For real, the screen is fine with the occasional green (It comes and goes) and it could be brighter.
@bobby janow It's all good man.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah so you don't know what a terrible OLED screen really is. [emoji6] LOL. For real, the screen is fine with the occasional green (It comes and goes) and it could be brighter.

Yeah, I wonder why they throttled the brightness on these. Battery perhaps? I thought I saw a root hack that could up the brightness a bunch. Didn't pay that much attention because I'm not rooted. Have you seen that and tried it?
BTW, he's all over the Sammy threads as of a couple of days ago. Why am I not surprised?

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Yeah, I wonder why they throttled the brightness on these. Battery perhaps? I thought I saw a root hack that could up the brightness a bunch. Didn't pay that much attention because I'm not rooted. Have you seen that and tried it?

BTW, he's all over the Sammy threads as of a couple of days ago. Why am I not surprised?
Yeah I'm sure it's for battery reasons. Imagine if this phone really hit it's 610 nits max out of the box? Then people would really be complaining of the battery life.

dhorgas

Oct 15, 2012
I think you misunderstood me. The Z30 was one of the worst OLEDs I ever saw. The Pixel 4 XL is marginally better.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
I think you misunderstood me. The Z30 was one of the worst OLEDs I ever saw. The Pixel 4 XL is marginally better.
I understood you fine. However, you've got to be exaggerating if a 2019 Pixel 4 XL is only marginally better than a 2013 Blackberry Z30 because the 4 XL amazingly better than the 2 XL.

Last edited:

dhorgas

Oct 15, 2012
I understood you fine. However, you've got to be exaggerating if a 2019 Pixel 4 XL is only marginally better than a 2013 Blackberry Z30 because the 4 XL amazingly better than the 2 XL.
It is somewhat of an exaggeration. Objectively, minus the 90Hz refresh rate, the display is about as good as my S7 Edge back in the day. It is worse at low brightness, in fact, the worst OLED I've ever used for low brightness. The thing is this though - I actually do not think that this is an inherent hardware fault. The gamma calibration is completely off and if Google fixes it, the display could be a lot better. There is no reason for them to not be able to fix it. The green tinting is also a calibration issue. Both can be addressed via firmware but it's up to Google to come through on the fix. In the meantime, it is really not possible to be objective and call this a good phone.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
...the display is about as good as my S7 Edge back in the day. ...In the meantime, it is really not possible to be objective and call this a good phone.

Actually you can objective say the Pixel 4 XL screen is good and better than the S7 Edge.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Pixel_4XL_ShootOut_1P.htm

Here's the color accuracy comparison for example.
Screenshot_20191226-021737.jpgScreenshot_20191226-021751.jpg

dhorgas

Oct 15, 2012
Actually you can objective say the Pixel 4 XL screen is good and better than the S7 Edge.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Pixel_4XL_ShootOut_1P.htm

Here's the color accuracy comparison for example.
I'm glad you posted that. This is how marketing works and then there is reality. I will point you to XDA's own Pixel 4 and 4 XL display review that is more scientific and comprehensive than any piece DM puts out regarding smartphone displays.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-4-4-xl-display-analysis/

Spend some time to digest the information in that analysis, really digest it. I can't help but put at least some onus of blame on users that cut Google slack on poor decisions, but I do hope that you will find the above article enlightening and will take a more critical view of the existing testing methods and future marketing speak.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Last edited:

Flockrock

May 23, 2013
Bavaria
Why do they bring out this phone so late in the year? A few months after the phone gets launched there will be a new generation of the snapdragon flagchip CPU and many other manufacturers will release models with the new Snapdragon 865. Wouldn't it be better if Google waits with their next generation a bit until new CPUs are released so that they can bring a super up-to-date phone to the market? Even worse that they didn't use the 855+ either which already was released short time before the pixel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now I'm starting to remember why I don't participate on xda much anymore. Every thread somehow turns into some kind of childish debate haha. Pretty silly.

I don't know why I need to justify a purchase on an internet forum. I mean I freely gave up my money for something I wanted. I think that's justified. I don't live by reviews and specs alone.
    I had the s10+. I purchased the Pixel 4xl. I liked the Pixel better and kept it over the s10+. That's all the justification I need. :good:
    I have told a few friends that I ordered a 4XL and they aren't really even gadget freaks and they all respond "Oh, why would you do that? Everyone says that phone sucks". I've read through most of the relevant posts on Reddit (real life reviews and not website articles) and it seems like the majority of the people commenting there are satisfied and are getting solid SOT. I am experienced Android user and know how to manage my device so I'm confident that I'll be satisfied with the battery (are people really ever without chargers anymore anyways).

Also, lots of people are sending back the phone because they can't justify the price...so why order it at all?
    I have told a few friends that I ordered a 4XL and they aren't really even gadget freaks and they all respond "Oh, why would you do that? Everyone says that phone sucks". I've read through most of the relevant posts on Reddit (real life reviews and not website articles) and it seems like the majority of the people commenting there are satisfied and are getting solid SOT. I am experienced Android user and know how to manage my device so I'm confident that I'll be satisfied with the battery (are people really ever without chargers anymore anyways).

Also, lots of people are sending back the phone because they can't justify the price...so why order it at all?

It's annoying. I've had my phone for a week now and I love it. Haters going to hate
    I'm somewhat surprised this is still going on. Usually by this time the haters have moved on but I suppose it's tough to go when the heavier spec phones don't work as well but you don't want to buy this one which works better because the "value" isn't there. I would have to really stop and think to number the phones I moved to from a Pixel and then left for yet another Pixel. Those OnePlus phones... Those guys are all trying to get the Pixel features, they're easily the most requested feature over there. And you can get em. You can have the Pixel camera which is buggy and doesn't work as well. You can have the dialer which is buggy and missing some features. It goes on and on. Meanwhile I've learned my lesson. When someone makes a phone I actually enjoy using more I'll buy it. Not going to fall for specs again. Not going to try and convert a One Plus to the Pixel experience again. I'm off that treadmill.
    It's annoying. I've had my phone for a week now and I love it. Haters going to hate

No further comments needed.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone