Is anyone else annoyed with all of the seemingly negative reviews everywhere?

Search This thread

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
I'm glad you posted that. This is how marketing works and then there is reality. I will point you to XDA's own Pixel 4 and 4 XL display review that is more scientific and comprehensive than any piece DM puts out regarding smartphone displays.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-4-4-xl-display-analysis/

Spend some time to digest the information in that analysis, really digest it. I can't help but put at least some onus of blame on users that cut Google slack on poor decisions, but I do hope that you will find the above article enlightening and will take a more critical view of the existing testing methods and future marketing speak.

Yes I've seen that article already prior to you posting it. I'm on the XDA forums after all. Why do you focus on just the negatives, which I've acknowledge the green tinting, yet nothing of the positive points including an overall B which is far from worst screen ever?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Why do they bring out this phone so late in the year? A few months after the phone gets launched there will be a new generation of the snapdragon flagchip CPU and many other manufacturers will release models with the new Snapdragon 865. Wouldn't it be better if Google waits with their next generation a bit until new CPUs are released so that they can bring a super up-to-date phone to the market? Even worse that they didn't use the 855+ either which already was released short time before the pixel

Google's been releasing fall phones for many years now. They would either need to bump up or delay a release to move it to the first half of the year. The first option sounds more reasonable because delaying would be a missed chance in a processor generation.

For this year though, there's hardly a difference in 855 versus 855+ so I'm not crying over it. There's even tests showing the Pixel 4 doing better than a phone with the 855+.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Rating screens in color accuracy is flat out stupid. There is ALWAYS a variation in every single screen...doesn't matter who makes it. That's why every phone manufacturer should provide rgb and contrast controls. It's the #1 reason I root and flash custom kernel.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Actually you can objective say the Pixel 4 XL screen is good and better than the S7 Edge.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S7_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Pixel_4XL_ShootOut_1P.htm

Here's the color accuracy comparison for example.
View attachment 4910971View attachment 4910973

Save your breath. You'll never convince a Sammy user that their device isn't the be all and end all. It's some kind of obsession to come onto other forums to trash the device and find articles written to support their beloved Sammy. There must be a repository of all articles positive to their brand from the S4 through the unreleased S11. And the thing is it's probably a decent phone other than well... it has an S in front of it. I wonder if Pixel users do the same thing over there? The shame of it is that they tend to derail serious, critical discussion by their trolling. Why do they feel the need? I'd rather have that psychological discussion in another thread and leave us to wallow in crappy battery life but monthly security updates that come on time. ;)

Reactions: EeZeEpEe

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Rating screens in color accuracy is flat out stupid. There is ALWAYS a variation in every single screen...doesn't matter who makes it. That's why every phone manufacturer should provide rgb and contrast controls. It's the #1 reason I root and flash custom kernel.
True there's variations to every screen but there's still an overall uniform look to a model of phone. It's not one 4 XL is going to look like a totally different screen compared to another. There's only slight variations. That's why I don't think screen reviews are totally stupid.

Manual screen adjustments on smartphones are for subjective likings and not really for calibrating like TV screens. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be settings for that though but I doubt you'll ever see anything like sharpness, tint/hue, white balance, color space, etc. on a smartphone.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
True there's variations to every screen but there's still an overall uniform look to a model of phone. It's not one 4 XL is going to look like a totally different screen compared to another. There's only slight variations. That's why I don't think screen reviews are totally stupid.

Manual screen adjustments on smartphones are for subjective likings and not really for calibrating like TV screens. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be settings for that though but I doubt you'll ever see anything like sharpness, tint/hue, white balance, color space, etc. on a smartphone.

Like this?? There should be. Lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191226-091258.jpg
    Screenshot_20191226-091258.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: dhorgas

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
I think OneUI on Samsung devices gives you RGB and resolution sliders. I'm pretty sure I have this on my work Galaxy Note 8. But it's not as extensive as a kernel app + custom kernel.
Right. As I mentioned, "Manual screen adjustments on smartphones are for subjective likings and not really for calibrating like TV screens."

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Yes exactly that. No phone has that out of the box right?

Can you imagine if stock had those controls? The complaints would go thru the roof about this color, that hue... how do I get back to original? Elemental kernel has those options I believe. On my 5X I messed with it so much and I could never get it right. Just thought of this: there was a program I think back in the Nexus 5 days or maybe even before that where you could pick a color profile and apply it. They had dozens of different ones you could just apply. Only thing I would do would be to cool the display a bit. I know it's not true to life but I just like the bluish tints.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Can you imagine if stock had those controls? The complaints would go thru the roof about this color, that hue... how do I get back to original? Elemental kernel has those options I believe. On my 5X I messed with it so much and I could never get it right. Just thought of this: there was a program I think back in the Nexus 5 days or maybe even before that where you could pick a color profile and apply it. They had dozens of different ones you could just apply. Only thing I would do would be to cool the display a bit. I know it's not true to life but I just like the bluish tints.

The adjustments are not permanent. Your not making sense.

Flockrock

May 23, 2013
Bavaria
For this year though, there's hardly a difference in 855 versus 855+ so I'm not crying over it. There's even tests showing the Pixel 4 doing better than a phone with the 855+.

My point is rather the price. The Pixel 4 XL is - at least in my country - the second most expensive android phone on the market (besides the galaxy fold and some weird "fancy" phones, first place is the Note10+ 5G). Shouldn't it be taken for granted that a phone this price should have at least the most recent CPU? Besides the fact that there are many other things which it misses.

w2830

Jul 9, 2012
The key point here is the price. For the retail price it's asking, YES, it sucks! "Out-dated" cpu even it's the last flagship to come out in the year, ridiculous storage options, horrible battery life, sub par video capability and the lack of more lenses. And where the fxxk is the headphone that's included with every other phone!? Just because you can do better in software, doesn't mean you can skimp on hardware. That's downright greedy and ignorant.

Now, do I regret getting my Pixel 4 XL? NO! Because I got a deal with the carrier. Face unlock is a godsend. The only thing I might regret is supporting a disrespectful company like Google. Anyone defending Google's decision on this phone is nuts!

Reactions: dhorgas

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
The key point here is the price. For the retail price it's asking, YES, it sucks! "Out-dated" cpu even it's the last flagship to come out in the year, ridiculous storage options, horrible battery life, sub par video capability and the lack of more lenses. And where the fxxk is the headphone that's included with every other phone!? Just because you can do better in software, doesn't mean you can skimp on hardware. That's downright greedy and ignorant.

Now, do I regret getting my Pixel 4 XL? NO! Because I got a deal with the carrier. Face unlock is a godsend. The only thing I might regret is supporting a disrespectful company like Google. Anyone defending Google's decision on this phone is nuts!
Do you realize how angry you are? How do you live like that on a day to day basis owning and using a device from a greedy and ignorant company knowing full well they are laughing at you every second of every day? Why would you do that to yourself? I'm sure you could have gotten another Samsung device for a decent price discount with the same carrier. I don't think you are doing yourself any favors owning a Pixel 4 but hey, different strokes.. right?

But stepping back a bit, can you understand that some people simply enjoy the device? Whether it's the feel, the look, the software, anything. It's disingenuous to say people are nuts simply because you don't agree with their decisions. But I've also gone on rants like this right after my second cup of coffee. So I'm not criticizing your upset but simply your decision to purchase and keep the device. Next time for everything..

Flockrock

May 23, 2013
Bavaria
Do you realize how angry you are?

He doesn't sound too angry to me. It's more being annoyed that the only flagship phone with pure android is such an overpriced piece of hardware which lacks certain features it should have for that price.

I have got another question:
If google would sell better hardware with its software for a reasonable price, they could easily increase the pixels popularity, shouldn't increasing sales numbers with less profit per phone outdo the current profit per phone and sales easily? Also google is not apple with no competition when it comes to the OS.
I'm not an economy expert but that way sounds more rational to me.

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
He doesn't sound too angry to me. It's more being annoyed that the only flagship phone with pure android is such an overpriced piece of hardware which lacks certain features it should have for that price.

I have got another question:
If google would sell better hardware with its software for a reasonable price, they could easily increase the pixels popularity, shouldn't increasing sales numbers with less profit per phone outdo the current profit per phone and sales easily? Also google is not apple with no competition when it comes to the OS.
I'm not an economy expert but that way sounds more rational to me.

If that's not angry I'd hate to be around when he goes off. Bottom line he should have stuck with his Samsung but that's not our issue, it's clearly his.

Ok as to your economic analysis, it's really hard for us on the outside to know exactly at what price point sales will diminish beyond what is viable. I'm sure they have that figured out to some degree. Remember, Apple sells the device for hundreds more than the Pixel 4 line and with no competition they can do that. But Android devices are sold by a myriad of companies all competing for the same space. At some point it becomes a loss leader which really doesn't make sense unless they are simply going for market share.

But there certainly are choices out there so no reason to trash another device or a company when you can simply buy something different. That was basically my point. Would I like to see better hardware and a larger battery, hell yeah who wouldn't. But I made my choice, had 15 days to return it and now I live with my decision.

w2830

Jul 9, 2012
Do you realize how angry you are? How do you live like that on a day to day basis owning and using a device from a greedy and ignorant company knowing full well they are laughing at you every second of every day? Why would you do that to yourself? I'm sure you could have gotten another Samsung device for a decent price discount with the same carrier. I don't think you are doing yourself any favors owning a Pixel 4 but hey, different strokes.. right?

But stepping back a bit, can you understand that some people simply enjoy the device? Whether it's the feel, the look, the software, anything. It's disingenuous to say people are nuts simply because you don't agree with their decisions. But I've also gone on rants like this right after my second cup of coffee. So I'm not criticizing your upset but simply your decision to purchase and keep the device. Next time for everything..

Appreciate your concern about my well-beings. Well, I'm doing fine, because you read it wrong just like you managed to miss the two major points from my OP. I said it's about the price and the company behind it. I also said specifically I do not regret getting this phone. It didn't occur to you that meant I enjoy it? So where is the suffering from?
Perhaps you are a little too narrow minded to look at things from different perspective. Just because the phone works fine for one group of people, doesn't mean it justifes the price. Example: if I pay for a combo price for a meal, I am not going to be satisfied with just a salad, even though that might be sufficient for me. It's company's attitude I have issue with. It seems you took it personal, which is completely unnecessary and unfortunate. To me, it's just a phone, I go through phones at least 1 per year. I don't attached to them.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
And where the fxxk is the headphone that's included with every other phone!?
You're still hurting over that? Phones $700 and over (except for the S10) all have removed the headphone jack. Even OnePlus has done it. It's time to move on or get a USB-C adapter.

He doesn't sound too angry to me.
I got a lot of angry tone from all the exclamation points and the "fxxk". Just saying.

Reactions: bobby janow

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Example: if I pay for a combo price for a meal, I am not going to be satisfied with just a salad, even though that might be sufficient for me. It's company's attitude I have issue with.

I you have an insufficient meal then go back again to the same location well that's really on you. You had 15 days to return the device why didn't you do that? Either way you have no right to trash the establishment if you went back or a company if you do not take advantage of a return policy if you are not satisfied.

Why didn't you buy another Samsung device? Just curious. If you got a killer deal on the Pixel 4xl then where's the complaint? I really don't think Google has an attitude it's a company that you can choose to do business with or not. Why take it personal?

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Appreciate your concern about my well-beings. Well, I'm doing fine, because you read it wrong just like you managed to miss the two major points from my OP. I said it's about the price and the company behind it. I also said specifically I do not regret getting this phone. It didn't occur to you that meant I enjoy it? So where is the suffering from?
Perhaps you are a little too narrow minded to look at things from different perspective. Just because the phone works fine for one group of people, doesn't mean it justifes the price. Example: if I pay for a combo price for a meal, I am not going to be satisfied with just a salad, even though that might be sufficient for me. It's company's attitude I have issue with. It seems you took it personal, which is completely unnecessary and unfortunate. To me, it's just a phone, I go through phones at least 1 per year. I don't attached to them.

You're still hurting over that? Phones $700 and over (except for the S10) all have removed the headphone jack. Even OnePlus has done it. It's time to move on or get a USB-C adapter.

I got a lot of angry tone from all the exclamation points and the "fxxk". Just saying.

Oh he was angry alright. Looks like he might have calmed down a bit.

Reactions: EeZeEpEe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now I'm starting to remember why I don't participate on xda much anymore. Every thread somehow turns into some kind of childish debate haha. Pretty silly.

I don't know why I need to justify a purchase on an internet forum. I mean I freely gave up my money for something I wanted. I think that's justified. I don't live by reviews and specs alone.
    I had the s10+. I purchased the Pixel 4xl. I liked the Pixel better and kept it over the s10+. That's all the justification I need. :good:
    I have told a few friends that I ordered a 4XL and they aren't really even gadget freaks and they all respond "Oh, why would you do that? Everyone says that phone sucks". I've read through most of the relevant posts on Reddit (real life reviews and not website articles) and it seems like the majority of the people commenting there are satisfied and are getting solid SOT. I am experienced Android user and know how to manage my device so I'm confident that I'll be satisfied with the battery (are people really ever without chargers anymore anyways).

Also, lots of people are sending back the phone because they can't justify the price...so why order it at all?
    I have told a few friends that I ordered a 4XL and they aren't really even gadget freaks and they all respond "Oh, why would you do that? Everyone says that phone sucks". I've read through most of the relevant posts on Reddit (real life reviews and not website articles) and it seems like the majority of the people commenting there are satisfied and are getting solid SOT. I am experienced Android user and know how to manage my device so I'm confident that I'll be satisfied with the battery (are people really ever without chargers anymore anyways).

Also, lots of people are sending back the phone because they can't justify the price...so why order it at all?

It's annoying. I've had my phone for a week now and I love it. Haters going to hate
    I'm somewhat surprised this is still going on. Usually by this time the haters have moved on but I suppose it's tough to go when the heavier spec phones don't work as well but you don't want to buy this one which works better because the "value" isn't there. I would have to really stop and think to number the phones I moved to from a Pixel and then left for yet another Pixel. Those OnePlus phones... Those guys are all trying to get the Pixel features, they're easily the most requested feature over there. And you can get em. You can have the Pixel camera which is buggy and doesn't work as well. You can have the dialer which is buggy and missing some features. It goes on and on. Meanwhile I've learned my lesson. When someone makes a phone I actually enjoy using more I'll buy it. Not going to fall for specs again. Not going to try and convert a One Plus to the Pixel experience again. I'm off that treadmill.
    It's annoying. I've had my phone for a week now and I love it. Haters going to hate

No further comments needed.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone