Is anyone else annoyed with all of the seemingly negative reviews everywhere?

Search This thread

relaxable

Feb 9, 2011
That's old news and it's not already happening, it happened because someone bent it on purpose. I've had the phone for 8 weeks and there's no bending or cracking here.

It's happening "to real people" - I've read about it and if you search you'll find it.
It is the fault of the consumer - they drop it, or maybe had it in a pocket and sat down, or something like that - but, no other flagship phone breaks this easily.
So hold on to your precious Pixel 4XL and don't ever drop it - you'll be OK. Don't put it in your pocket just to be safe. Hang on to it tightly.

I'll be moving on - Got the Oneplus 7Pro for $499! Wow. Much bigger brighter and better screen.
And thank God you can run Android 9 on it until 10 gets less buggy.
And actually use TWRP and make image backups and such.

I have had only Google phones since Nexus One. Then Galaxy Nexus. Nexus 4. Nexus 5. Nexus 6. Loved them all, but I don't want an inferior Apple knock-off, and that seems to be all Google can do.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
It's happening "to real people" - I've read about it and if you search you'll find it.

It is the fault of the consumer - they drop it, or maybe had it in a pocket and sat down, or something like that - but, no other flagship phone breaks this easily.

So hold on to your precious Pixel 4XL and don't ever drop it - you'll be OK. Don't put it in your pocket just to be safe. Hang on to it tightly.

I'll be moving on - Got the Oneplus 7Pro for $499! Wow. Much bigger brighter and better screen.

And thank God you can run Android 9 on it until 10 gets less buggy.

And actually use TWRP and make image backups and such.

I have had only Google phones since Nexus One. Then Galaxy Nexus. Nexus 4. Nexus 5. Nexus 6. Loved them all, but I don't want an inferior Apple knock-off, and that seems to be all Google can do.
It's really not that serious. It's perfectly fine in my front pocket and everyone else's. Android 10 is also great for my use so don't know what bugs you're talking about.[emoji1365]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

wolfeyes30

Dec 12, 2010
NE OHIO
I thought about the 7 pro but I'm a Google fan, and I hate curved screens, plus Pixels have a better camera. I have tried several other phones and always end up back on Pixels...
Same here but that curve screen is way too much imo. Had the 3T between the Nexus 6 and the P2XL. They make nice phones no doubt but I prefer a Pixel over a OnePlus. One pet peeve for me with OnePlus phones is the hardware button layout and the useless alert slider. I want volume and power on one side only.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/12/23/pixel-4-readers-choice-best-smartphone-2019/
Well apparently the Pixel 4 is the people's champ for Android Police. Screenshot_20191223-172517.jpg

Play!Ya

Nov 29, 2011
Toronto
MKBHD has declared Pixel 4 as the biggest bust phone of the year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OnwUz-I2GI
I don't really get the hate. Yes, at the full price this phone doesnt look that promising but at USD699 or CAD879, this phone is really good. I only have a few gripes with phone, biggest is the base storage of 64GB and the other is battery could have been atleast 4000mAh considering additional features. Other than these, I am happy with camera. Screen is one of the most beautiful and its plenty bright. Assistant integration is amazing. Phone is fluidly fast and the android experience is the best in the market.

Having been the user of OnePlus One and OnePlus 3, I have loved those phones but they could never gave me the best user experience with software. My last phone Pixel 2 XL was the first of my 5 Android phones for which I never felt the need to root it. It was already so great on stock rom.

For me, its not the best phone of the year and certainly not the biggest bust of the year. It's the phone I wanted and despite its shortcomings I love it because of its positive aspects. The user experience and camera are the topmost features for me and I couldnt get those in other phones.

Flockrock

May 23, 2013
Bavaria
I love pixel phones and was so excited for the Pixel 4 but the Pixel 4 is just a dissapointment. No fingerscreen, not even in-display, no wide-angle lens, STILL an extra 100€ for the 128GB, not even the most recent CPU, not a enough bright display, the radar sensor is something you play with the first day but because there is not really any use you won't use it anyway. Then the storage is still UFS 2.1, and the RAM is just about enough. Battery could be bigger (especially the non XL). No 5G. Ah yes and not to forget aux.
I mean that are all things I can live with, but not for almost 1000€. The Pixel 4 XL with 128GB is 999€ in Germany and that's a price I just don't want to pay, even though I'm the type of person who always wants the best.
If it would cost 550€ for the base variant I still would call it an expensive phone, but at that price I would consider buying it.
It hurts to say but Apples iPhone offers more for the money.

Last edited:

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
This doesn't necessarily mean it's a good phone. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
It doesn't mean that it's a bad phone either. [emoji2371]

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

MKBHD has declared Pixel 4 as the biggest bust phone of the year.
Spoiler! I didn't get to watch it yet. LOL. But for real, if the Pixel 4 is the bust of the year, we're living in great times. I can understand why though because, again, in a vacuum it's a great phone but compared to the competition, it's definitely overpriced.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Spoiler! I didn't get to watch it yet. LOL. But for real, if the Pixel 4 is the bust of the year, we're living in great times. I can understand why though because, again, in a vacuum it's a great phone but compared to the competition, it's definitely overpriced.

Overpriced, yes. But that's only if you're paying full price. Even the XL is minimum $200 off anywhere you go if you wait a week. The Pixel 4 costs $599 and that's not bad. If you want a Verizon model you can probably get it for 1/2 price. The only thing I have a problem with is the crap battery. They really need to figure that out. A previous poster said iPhone offers more.. and that I don't agree with. But their battery kills this device's performance. It's my only regret.

dhacke

Nov 4, 2018
For years i was a xperia phone user (my last phone was an xz2) and these phones weren't bad. And i'm still thankful at sony that they contribute to the pure aosp and that they have their open devices program.

But nevertheless i change to pixel 4 xl and can't complain. For my usecases it's totally enough.

I can understand the negativ reviews because for that price you get 2019 flagships which have better hardware (for example storage, RAM, battery) and only from that point of view the price is IMHO too high. Of course you can get the phone cheaper over your provider but not everyone likes it (for example i refuse that way and prefer to pay once the full price so that i own the phone really).

Do i regret the change to the pixel? Well no because which i really like on my pixel is the Software support (major Updates and for me even more important fast and complete monthly security patches).
And a pure aosp GSI work perfectly on my pixel (even camera does it's job). Atm i only use phhussons gsi on android 10 base with no Gapps and love it.

I believe if you want the best pure android experience the pixel 4/4 xl are great phones. But not everyone rates the fact as high as i do it.
The most people don't look at that fact; what matters for them is the data sheet.
So IMHO you pay a lot of money for the circumstance that they is no OEM between you which can hold back updates. And not everyone is willing to pay that extra money.

Last edited:

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
MKBHD has declared Pixel 4 as the biggest bust phone of the year
I don't really get the hate. Yes, at the full price this phone doesnt look that promising but at USD699 or CAD879, this phone is really good.
Honestly, I'm starting not to like MKBHD anymore. He was really about tech before, now I feel he's just about the views/hype. He says he's using a OnePlus 7T Pro currently but I always feel he's a little too much of an Apple fanboy. I could be wrong though but that's the impression I've been getting recently.

Anyway, rant over and I agree with you: if I can find a 128 GB in a couple of months for 700 euros (I'm in Europe), I might pull the trigger. 1000 euros is way too much for this phone. The 4 XL is a very good phone, just not as much as people wanted it to be for the money (me included).

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Overpriced, yes. But that's only if you're paying full price. Even the XL is minimum $200 off anywhere you go if you wait a week. The Pixel 4 costs $599 and that's not bad. If you want a Verizon model you can probably get it for 1/2 price. The only thing I have a problem with is the crap battery. They really need to figure that out. A previous poster said iPhone offers more.. and that I don't agree with. But their battery kills this device's performance. It's my only regret.
That's the problem, you need deals to make it worthwhile. I'm hoping by the Pixel 6 XL, I get phones every other year, they get their act together and either match what the competition is offering and/or lower their prices. I''m willing to bet the 5 and 6 will still have something to complain about.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
That's the problem, you need deals to make it worthwhile. I'm hoping by the Pixel 6 XL, I get phones every other year, they get their act together and either match what the competition is offering and/or lower their prices. I''m willing to bet the 5 and 6 will still have something to complain about.

Everyone gives deals. I don't think the retail price is for individual users like we are, we get deals almost immediately and quicker if you buy from a carrier. The retail price is for corporate and even then I don't think they pay that. Apple, Android everything is discounted from the get go. As I said, the battery is where they fall down. I like the feel of the Pixel 4 over the iPhone 11 Pro by far and although I don't have it rumor is that the camera is pretty equal. What exactly are you referring to when you say "match the competition"? I mean ram is sufficient, display is great, camera great, speed great, call quality sufficient, battery ....hmmm.. lol

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
What exactly are you referring to when you say "match the competition"? I mean ram is sufficient, display is great, camera great, speed great, call quality sufficient, battery ....hmmm.. lol
Hardware specs others and myself have mentioned earlier in the thread. 4000+ mAh battery size, wide angle lens, 128GB starting size, 512GB option, 8GB or more option, 60 FPS rear and front cameras, brighter 800+ nits screen, and video quality up to Samsung and/or Apple standards. Obviously I've put a price on software experience for myself because I've stuck with the 4 XL but hardware has left a little to be desired. I've compromised and I'm okay with all those hardware downsides but again, it's should be $150-$200 off the original price off from the start of they're going to skimp. In my case, at least I have the Oh So Orange for "exclusivity".

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Hardware specs others and myself have mentioned earlier in the thread. 4000+ mAh battery size, wide angle lens, 128GB starting size, 512GB option, 8GB or more option, 60 FPS rear and front cameras, brighter 800+ nits screen, and video quality up to Samsung and/or Apple standards. Obviously I've put a price on software experience for myself because I've stuck with the 4 XL but hardware has left a little to be desired. I've compromised and I'm okay with all those hardware downsides but again, it's should be $150-$200 off the original price off from the start of they're going to skimp. In my case, at least I have the Oh So Orange for "exclusivity".

Leaving out battery, which is just ridiculous for this phone, I'm not sure any of those things are way better outside the Pixel 4 line. But for me I don't need that much storage and the ram is sufficient for me as well. I think the only phone that is better is the iPhone 11 Pro and the Pro Max. Their footprint is slightly larger and the camera is ugly but it's a better device for sure. I wouldn't buy a Sammy if it was the last phone on earth. Where did I put my Princess landline phone? But there are two drawbacks to the iPhone, and believe me I almost went for it this time. #1 the price is so ridiculous that I could never justify it. The best price I could get for the 11 Pro was $999 and the P4 was $599. That is a huge sum of money. The other thing is that it's an iPhone. Yeah I know I'm an Android snob but I just like the freedom of rooting if I want, installing apps that I want and changing appearance if I want. I just don't want to be locked into that world... yet. And that might change next year for all I know. There was one other thing but not a deal breaker like the first two. It was bigger and heavier and noticeably so. Side by side the Pixel 4 feels much better in my hand and (most likely) my pocket than the 11 Pro. My lifestyle would not allow me the Max or the XL line so I can't compare those even though this is an XL forum. (I just like it better over here. lol)

I think comparing phones to the Pixel 4 lines Apple is the only competitor. Everything else is ... well just everything else.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Leaving out battery, which is just ridiculous for this phone, I'm not sure any of those things are way better outside the Pixel 4 line. But for me I don't need that much storage and the ram is sufficient for me as well. I think the only phone that is better is the iPhone 11 Pro and the Pro Max. Their footprint is slightly larger and the camera is ugly but it's a better device for sure. I wouldn't buy a Sammy if it was the last phone on earth. Where did I put my Princess landline phone? But there are two drawbacks to the iPhone, and believe me I almost went for it this time. #1 the price is so ridiculous that I could never justify it. The best price I could get for the 11 Pro was $999 and the P4 was $599. That is a huge sum of money. The other thing is that it's an iPhone. Yeah I know I'm an Android snob but I just like the freedom of rooting if I want, installing apps that I want and changing appearance if I want. I just don't want to be locked into that world... yet. And that might change next year for all I know. There was one other thing but not a deal breaker like the first two. It was bigger and heavier and noticeably so. Side by side the Pixel 4 feels much better in my hand and (most likely) my pocket than the 11 Pro. My lifestyle would not allow me the Max or the XL line so I can't compare those even though this is an XL forum. (I just like it better over here. lol)

I think comparing phones to the Pixel 4 lines Apple is the only competitor. Everything else is ... well just everything else.

Oh I agree with you [emoji817] with Samsung devices. My in-laws got Note 10+ 5G phones on a BOGO deal and while messing around with it, I totally don't miss their software. What's up with there app drawer NOT being alphabetical by default and they dumb down things like the screen resolution and the photo/video resolutions by default as well.

Problem is Google priced 4 XL okay versus the iPhone 11 Pro Max but the 4 is overpriced versus the 11. And overall, they didn't take into account someone like OnePlus which, by the numbers, is a better deal. The only thing that OnePlus does weaker than Pixel phones is the camera and it's not that far behind. That's why I keep reiterating it should've been price close to OnePlus prices but Google being Google, they priced it "cheaper" than Samsung and Apple.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now I'm starting to remember why I don't participate on xda much anymore. Every thread somehow turns into some kind of childish debate haha. Pretty silly.

I don't know why I need to justify a purchase on an internet forum. I mean I freely gave up my money for something I wanted. I think that's justified. I don't live by reviews and specs alone.
    I had the s10+. I purchased the Pixel 4xl. I liked the Pixel better and kept it over the s10+. That's all the justification I need. :good:
    I have told a few friends that I ordered a 4XL and they aren't really even gadget freaks and they all respond "Oh, why would you do that? Everyone says that phone sucks". I've read through most of the relevant posts on Reddit (real life reviews and not website articles) and it seems like the majority of the people commenting there are satisfied and are getting solid SOT. I am experienced Android user and know how to manage my device so I'm confident that I'll be satisfied with the battery (are people really ever without chargers anymore anyways).

Also, lots of people are sending back the phone because they can't justify the price...so why order it at all?
    I have told a few friends that I ordered a 4XL and they aren't really even gadget freaks and they all respond "Oh, why would you do that? Everyone says that phone sucks". I've read through most of the relevant posts on Reddit (real life reviews and not website articles) and it seems like the majority of the people commenting there are satisfied and are getting solid SOT. I am experienced Android user and know how to manage my device so I'm confident that I'll be satisfied with the battery (are people really ever without chargers anymore anyways).

Also, lots of people are sending back the phone because they can't justify the price...so why order it at all?

It's annoying. I've had my phone for a week now and I love it. Haters going to hate
    I'm somewhat surprised this is still going on. Usually by this time the haters have moved on but I suppose it's tough to go when the heavier spec phones don't work as well but you don't want to buy this one which works better because the "value" isn't there. I would have to really stop and think to number the phones I moved to from a Pixel and then left for yet another Pixel. Those OnePlus phones... Those guys are all trying to get the Pixel features, they're easily the most requested feature over there. And you can get em. You can have the Pixel camera which is buggy and doesn't work as well. You can have the dialer which is buggy and missing some features. It goes on and on. Meanwhile I've learned my lesson. When someone makes a phone I actually enjoy using more I'll buy it. Not going to fall for specs again. Not going to try and convert a One Plus to the Pixel experience again. I'm off that treadmill.
    It's annoying. I've had my phone for a week now and I love it. Haters going to hate

No further comments needed.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone