• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Is anyone returning the Z Fold 3?

Search This thread
I purchased from Samsung, big discount, extras, etc. Chose the 21 day trial option. I'm almost certain I will return the fold and keep my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. The fold is a very nice phone but some things I just can't get past. Weight, small front screen, much more difficult to do the everyday things I need my phone for in comparison to my Note 20. The Note 20 is a gorgeous phone and everything just works. Light, easy to handle, S pen with Bluetooth so I can operate the camera wirelessly. Speaking of the camera... Wonderful zoom capabilities that the fold does not have. Really dumb to pay so much for a lesser camera, no onboard S pen and no wireless connection for the pen. A huge plus for the fold is book reading. It works great as a tablet but for the everyday stuff it will need to be much thinner and lighter for me. Just my humble opinion.

cyberz

Jul 19, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I purchased from Samsung, big discount, extras, etc. Chose the 21 day trial option. I'm almost certain I will return the fold and keep my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. The fold is a very nice phone but some things I just can't get past. Weight, small front screen, much more difficult to do the everyday things I need my phone for in comparison to my Note 20. The Note 20 is a gorgeous phone and everything just works. Light, easy to handle, S pen with Bluetooth so I can operate the camera wirelessly. Speaking of the camera... Wonderful zoom capabilities that the fold does not have. Really dumb to pay so much for a lesser camera, no onboard S pen and no wireless connection for the pen. A huge plus for the fold is book reading. It works great as a tablet but for the everyday stuff it will need to be much thinner and lighter for me. Just my humble opinion.
The Fold is not a replacement for the Note, it simply can't be. Maybe someday, when it's half as thick, when it has a built-in stylus and a slightly larger display to use on the fly as well as a better camera.
I love big pads, at the time I even bought the QTEK 9000 (someone will remember it for sure). But I can't bring myself to replace my Note 20 Ultra 5G with the Galaxy Fold 3, it's stronger than me.

One question: is it true that the Fold 3's hands-free calls are in mono and not stereo? A curiosity of mine that no review(in my mother tongue) says.

Boaz_000

Dec 2, 2021
Hey,
I hope you doing well. If you are not interested in returning your product know About Samsung Return Policy first.
It provides only 30 days to return from the date of purchase. The product must be returned before 30 days as per the original tag mentioned on merchandise. To learn in detail about you can visit the site I have mentioned above.
Thank You!

Talderon

I went from a N20U to this Fold 3, and in all honesty, I can't think of ANY reason for me to return this.

Is the Fold 3 Perfect? No, is it overwhelmingly better than the N20U or S21? No, but for what I, personally, use it for and the reasons I had to switch, yes, it is better for ME than the N20U.

All in all, I LOVE this phone and cannot think of any reason for me to switch back from a foldable phone anytime soon. It's the screen real estate and the usage of the inner screen that clinches it for me.

ShaKki

Jul 26, 2011
Frankfurt
While it was being weird at first i LOVE the frontscreen the most actually. when i have to use a normal smartphone they feel alot bigger and unpractical to hold.

most people use their Smartphone with 2 hands. Samsung went the right way here. using front screen 1handed and bigger screen 2handed.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Playing from both speakers on a call is dual speaker mono.
Stereo implies a left and right (or more specifically channel 1 and channel 2) routed to corresponding speakers.

For a call to be actual stereo both mics would be used discreetly and the stereo signal encoded as stereo and sent to the recipient's speakers in the same fashion. Not exactly practical. ;-)

Reactions: blackhawk

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
We
Note 20 ultra 5G sounds hands-free calls from both speakers, so it is "stereo" obviously not hifi.
It is much better of only 1 speaker ;)
Apologize my bad English
I just checked. The sound comes out of both speakers.

What's strange is that the 'bottom' speaker (if you were holding the phone as a phone) is much louder than the 'top' speaker. I suspect that this has something to do with which microphone is used, so that the speaker doesn't interfere with it. With 4 microphones it's difficult to tell.

Jake.S

We

I just checked. The sound comes out of both speakers.

What's strange is that the 'bottom' speaker (if you were holding the phone as a phone) is much louder than the 'top' speaker. I suspect that this has something to do with which microphone is used, so that the speaker doesn't interfere with it. With 4 microphones it's difficult to tell.
Not only that. The top speaker isn't when located straight under tiny grill. It is located further down behind screen and uses a tunnel leading up to grill and out. So that might be a reason as well that sound is lower in that speaker than what it is on bottom speaker that sits right at grill opening with no space sort off between.

OJsakila

Mar 14, 2009
My Fold 3 is better for me than my last three Notes were. Utilizing the larger screen (And larger s pen) for my daily planner and calendar and all the handwriting I like to add is just light years better. The only single thing AT ALL that I miss from the note is the availability to add a quick note on a turned off phone w/ a black screen in one quick fail swoop without having to go through messing with the phone too much. Maybe somebody knows of a Bixby routine that might do something similar? Either way, the pluses over the Note series far out weigh the (single) negative. For me, of course.

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
Not only that. The top speaker isn't when located straight under tiny grill. It is located further down behind screen and uses a tunnel leading up to grill and out. So that might be a reason as well that sound is lower in that speaker than what it is on bottom speaker that sits right at grill opening with no space sort off between.
Normal stereo doesn't suffer from this problem, though. If fact it's pretty amazing if you listen to a music that 'swirls' about from speaker to speaker, like some Beatles tracks.

I suspect the reason for the tunnel is the normal phone speaker and slefie camera in the way.

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
My Fold 3 is better for me than my last three Notes were. Utilizing the larger screen (And larger s pen) for my daily planner and calendar and all the handwriting I like to add is just light years better. The only single thing AT ALL that I miss from the note is the availability to add a quick note on a turned off phone w/ a black screen in one quick fail swoop without having to go through messing with the phone too much. Maybe somebody knows of a Bixby routine that might do something similar? Either way, the pluses over the Note series far out weigh the (single) negative. For me, of course.
The only way Id get access on a black screen is if the phone was already open, since the front screen doesn't accept spen input. My Fold is set to turn on when I open it anyway.

Reactions: OJsakila

SuperNerd88

Nov 4, 2021
The Fold 3 is a specific device made for a specific kind of phone user. If the camera is a top priority, the Ultra phones from Samsung are for you. If you want a phone that is also a tablet, and you don't want to carry multiple devices and chargers, the Fold 3 is for you.

people dont buy the fold 3 for its cameras

Reactions: ronaldheld

jettie1767

Feb 11, 2006
I came from an S21U and actually feel that the Fold 3 is a better phone so much so that I decided to trade in the S21U. Granted the S21U has a crazy amount of zoom and takes great pictures, the Fold 3 is no slouch either. I'm a photography enthusiast and know that I need to temper my expectations with the Fold 3. Having said that, it's not really bad at taking pics unless you start looking at pics with a magnifying glass looking for noise abberations, etc. which I don't. I love the fact that I can browse websites on a bigger screen.

Reactions: jeromepearce

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I went from a N20U to this Fold 3, and in all honesty, I can't think of ANY reason for me to return this.

Is the Fold 3 Perfect? No, is it overwhelmingly better than the N20U or S21? No, but for what I, personally, use it for and the reasons I had to switch, yes, it is better for ME than the N20U.

All in all, I LOVE this phone and cannot think of any reason for me to switch back from a foldable phone anytime soon. It's the screen real estate and the usage of the inner screen that clinches it for me.
    The Fold is not a replacement for the Note, it simply can't be. Maybe someday, when it's half as thick, when it has a built-in stylus and a slightly larger display to use on the fly as well as a better camera.
    I love big pads, at the time I even bought the QTEK 9000 (someone will remember it for sure). But I can't bring myself to replace my Note 20 Ultra 5G with the Galaxy Fold 3, it's stronger than me.

One question: is it true that the Fold 3's hands-free calls are in mono and not stereo? A curiosity of mine that no review(in my mother tongue) says.
    According to DxO Mark Mobile, the Fold3 gets a camera score of 124, even more than the S21 Ultra ... So, there's not big difference ...

Watch the S Pen experience section - that bigger screen always trumps the Note for me!