Is aptX really working for this phone?

Search This thread

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
So far I have not seen any Nougat ROMs including the library meant for aptX support. I tried to manually place the library (libbt-aptx-x86-4.x.x.so, like the one from ARISE), but it doesn't work as my aptX-capable headset is still choosing SBC, implying the actual support of such is more than just a library. As SBC introduces a ~500ms latency, for my use cases (including but not limited to videos and rhythm games) it's completely unacceptable.

On the other hand, is aptX working with stock MM based ROMs? Apparently the device is in the official supported devices list, so I assume that might be the case. But anyway, is it possible to include aptX on recent Nougat ROMs?

Installing ARISE appears to be a no-go for this device as while it includes aptX-related libraries, it doesn't magically enable aptX and instead breaks all sensors.

EDIT: It seems most ROMs still use Bluedroid, and for that it seems the x86 aptX libs alone won't be enough. I did confirm that my headset (EP725) does support aptX on my Pixel C (currently running Oreo, though the aptX Magisk module for Oreo is required for it to actually work).

EDIT 2: A late update... apparently, the latency is not that much different with aptX, and it turned out to be more a problem with Unity than with the bluetooth codec itself after searching for a bit further... so I was wrong about aptX anyway...

Last edited:

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Bump on this thread.

I found the libs here which seems to have been taken from stock MM ROM. But obviously just replacing libbluetooth_jni.so from TWRP with that one would only lead to crashes as there's probably some additional work needed (maybe recompile the Bluetooth apk)...

Unfortunately most of that thread is about how to get it working on ARM based smartphones and/or on Oreo (which our phone doesn't have yet, and most likely the Magisk modules and such are as well ARM-only). The post I referenced is the only one that's at least helpful to some extent, after some basic searching.

EDIT: If all isn't going to work then I have no choice but to look for ways to downsample system audio output to 8-11kHz (or maybe 8-bit) to mitigate the latency... since the usage involved is already lossy with low bitrate, I don't think downsampling would cause any unacceptable loss of quality anyway.

EDIT 2: The libs alone definitely aren't enough. Tried replacing the libs in both /system/lib/ and /system/app/Bluetooth/lib/x86/ and it still crashed when opening.

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone