Is charging the battery constantly bad?

Search This thread

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
Hey everyone.

Just wanted to know if charging the tablet almost constantly is a bad thing. I use the tablet a lot every day, so when I'm at 60%, for example, I charge it again while I'm at lunch or doing something else, so that I can keep using the tablet later with full charge available again. I never let my tablet go down to 5%.

Is this bad for the battery in the long run?

Thanks.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Reactions: LoVeRice and lemy_

lemy_

Oct 20, 2013
Generally, it's best to not allow full cycle recharging...i.e. not fully charge or discharge, it's better for small charge cycles, like 40%<->90%

Some links to help garner some understanding:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2469261

Which provides these links:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
http://www.eetasia.com/STATIC/PDF/200806/EEOL_2008JUN16_POW_TA_01.pdf
http://macomp.ru/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1607542.pdf

That's right. At least for what I know. It says the same on Apple's website about batteries. :good:

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
So then I guess I'm doing it right, correct?

I charge from 60% to 100% or from 50% to 100% again. Maybe I should do it only up to 90% then.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
So then I guess I'm doing it right, correct?

I charge from 60% to 100% or from 50% to 100% again. Maybe I should do it only up to 90% then.

I only charge to 100% when I am going to be away from a charger for a long time, otherwise I stop at 90%-ish (my battery app announces when it is at 90% and there are kernels which will stop the charge at what you specify), as the links above state, charging to 100% all the time will shorten the lifetime of your battery, this may or may not matter to someone, for example, if you buy a new tablet every year, or you're well-off financially, then you're probably not too concerned with how many years your battery lasts, in which case charging to 100% a lot won't really matter much, since you'll likely own a newer tablet by time the battery does die.

In short, it's up to you and what you want to get out of your battery's lifetime.

Last edited:

mulperi

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 3a
I am using the good old 100% and then use until near 0%. I have found that this way the battery lasts longer.

As I am writing i have 43% battery with 5:40h screen time. I am using Greenify btw.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
I am using the good old 100% and then use until near 0%. I have found that this way the battery lasts longer.

As I am writing i have 43% battery with 5:40h screen time. I am using Greenify btw.

There are two kinds of battery life. These recommendations are for battery longevity. How long until the battery begins to lose the ability to fully charge.

The article at battery university explains how charging works, and the best way to charge batteries. What you are doing is the opposite of that way. If you think you are going to have your tablet longer than a year, it's worth taking the time to read the articles linked.

There is noting particularly wrong with full charges every time, but there are 'righter' ways to charge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: meekrawb

aigaming

Oct 29, 2011
Belgrade
Is there any kind of battery forming on new nexus7?
I mean i bought nexus 7 and straight from box i rooted,unlocked and installed custom kernel which forbids battery 2 fully charge over 92%...
Should i revert to stock and firstly fully charge my tablet then go to custom kernel or i am good at it right now ? Tnx

ps. (my nexus 7 was on 38% when i put it out of box)

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Is there any kind of battery forming on new nexus7?
I mean i bought nexus 7 and straight from box i rooted,unlocked and installed custom kernel which forbids battery 2 fully charge over 92%...
Should i revery to stock and firstly fully charge my tablet then go to custom kernel or i am good at it right now ? Tnx

ps. (my nexus 7 was on 38% when i put it out of box)

Based on what I've read, you'd gain no benefit by reverting to stock and charging to 100%, it MAY or may not effect the internal battery calibration, but it does not affect the lifetime or anything.

Also, these kernels usually have a way for you to change the % at which it stops, usually by cat'ing or changing some value that the kernel reads, you could just cat/echo/change 92% to 100%, and let it charge to 100%, then change it back. YMMV.

Last edited:

aigaming

Oct 29, 2011
Belgrade
Based on what I've read, you'd gain no benefit by reverting to stock and charging to 100%, it MAY or may not effect the internal battery calibration, but it does not affect the lifetime or anything.

Also, these kernels usually have a way for you to change the % at which it stops, usually by cat'ing or changing some value that the kernel reads, you could just cat/echo/change 92% to 100%, and let it charge to 100%, then change it back. YMMV.

Tnx m8 ;)

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
The worst thing you can do to lithium-ion batteries is let them discharge completely.

Not letting the lithium-ion batteries discharge more than 10% will increase the cycles by thousands we're talking going from 350 cycles to 4000.
So, ideally, you want to charge your batteries (of this type) after a 10% discharge but we all know that's impossible so the best thing you can do is to charge your tablet everytime you can. Even if it has much battery left.

aigaming

Oct 29, 2011
Belgrade
I knew that allready but i didn't know that it is not good to charge battery to 100 till i came to nexus 7 forums:) I always charged all my devices to 100% and never had a problem with battery;)

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
I knew that allready but i didn't know that it is not good to charge battery to 100 till i came to nexus 7 forums:) I always charged all my devices to 100% and never had a problem with battery;)

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

You should charge to 100%, there is no problem with that.
On a perfect world you would want to charge everytime the battery hit 90%, this gives the best amount of charge cycles and life time.
However we all know that's not going to happen because the tablet is here to serve our needs and not the other way around so stick to charging it whenever you can.

droidshadow

Dec 28, 2012
Great Question!

First let me start off by saying to the person that started this thread that this was a really good question to ask!

Now if you are trying to get the most out of your battery then you could look into installing/flashing a custom kernel that could allow for undervolting which could in theory give your battery more life.

So you all are saying that the best thing to do is to charge up to 90% and never let it get down to less than 10%? Always start charging when the battery gets to like 40%?

One question i have for the Nexus 7 2013. Is it even possible to remove the battery for this tablet or does it void the warranty? Second has anyone purchased a spare battery (if possible) for their Nexus 7 2013? If you did could you post a link to where you got it and let us know how much you paid?...

Great question and thread!

-droidshadow

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
First let me start off by saying to the person that started this thread that this was a really good question to ask!

Now if you are trying to get the most out of your battery then you could look into installing/flashing a custom kernel that could allow for undervolting which could in theory give your battery more life.

So you all are saying that the best thing to do is to charge up to 90% and never let it get down to less than 10%? Always start charging when the battery gets to like 40%?

There has been speculation in the franco thread that undervolting could actually hurt battery charge life, due to the CPU having to work harder due to having less voltage, not sure if that has any merit or not.

The reasoning behind the not charging above 90%, and not allowing full-cycle charges is outlined much better in the links I posted than I could do here, also I would be just regurgitating information that is already there for the most part.

40% is just a number I pulled out of air, the best practice is to keep the charge delta as small as possible. So, let's say we charge the device to 90%, it is better to charge it when it hits 80% than it is to wait till it hits 70%, because a smaller charge delta has occurred, so charge often, but if you want the lifetime of your battery to be maximized (lifetime as in the way ezas explained it, i.e. "(...)battery longevity. How long until the battery begins to lose the ability to fully charge"), than try to not charge it to 100%.

Also, it has to be said, heat also affects the battery longevity, that is why I also recommend not charging while a device is in its case. And not leaving it sit on a Qi charger for too long, some cause more heat than others, but heat is a battery's enemy.

One question i have for the Nexus 7 2013. Is it even possible to remove the battery for this tablet or does it void the warranty? Second has anyone purchased a spare battery (if possible) for their Nexus 7 2013? If you did could you post a link to where you got it and let us know how much you paid?...

-droidshadow

It would no doubt void your warranty. As for battery replacements, I have not yet found one, I'm not saying there isn't one to be found, but I have yet to find it, I figure the reason is because they are not yet in demand since the tablet is relatively new and demands for replacement batteries would be too low, obviously and eventually this will change.

Last edited:

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto

-droidshadow

What I said was that, theorically, in a perfect world, you want to charge your tablet when it starts losing charge and ideally never let it get below 90%. This is almost impossible because we use our tablet and we don't want to constantly be charging it so ideally you want to charge it whenever you can.

Top Liked Posts