Question Is Esim enabled at launch in the USA?

Search This thread

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Verizon recognizes my IMEI2 (esim) as Fold4 and says its compatible with their network but the process to switch over fails and says to call them. I've seen this happen when activating esim on my S22 Ultra too.

ESIM and sim card manager is definitely on this device as delivered unlike the past so no worries there!

Currently, I have a Verizon sim in my phone and it's working fine. My other line (also Verizon) is on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and I may add it eventually but I usually use that for carplay because it's far superior to Android Auto.

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011
Verizon recognizes my IMEI2 (esim) as Fold4 and says its compatible with their network but the process to switch over fails and says to call them. I've seen this happen when activating esim on my S22 Ultra too.

ESIM and sim card manager is definitely on this device as delivered unlike the past so no worries there!

Currently, I have a Verizon sim in my phone and it's working fine. My other line (also Verizon) is on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and I may add it eventually but I usually use that for carplay because it's far superior to Android Auto.
I may have to try again with Verizon then....
When did you try today?

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011
Well I randomly just searched and found a TMobile esim and connected and have 2 bars no number as I have no account but tomorrow I'm going to see how it compares to atnt, I may try straight talk again 😂

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011

Is yours direct from Samsung? I seem to only be able to connect to TMobile
I need to call Verizon tomorrow but I'm straight from Samsung unlocked

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Yes it is unlocked from Samsung.

It appears if you want to do a direct transfer device to device TMO is the only supported carrier currently. Adding a number to this device should be do-able via any carrier that supports esim as before.

I tried doing it late last night, well actually that would be today, just very AM LOL!

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011
Yes it is unlocked from Samsung.

It appears if you want to do a direct transfer device to device TMO is the only supported carrier currently. Adding a number to this device should be do-able via any carrier that supports esim as before.

I tried doing it late last night, well actually that would be today, just very AM LOL!
I can't get anything but T-Mobile to see it providing my esim... T-Mobile map showscompairable to atnt coverage so I'm literally setting a prepaid account up now lol

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
On Verizon, manage device and use switch. Answer NO to question has device been used on account before. It asks for IMEI. Enter IMEI2. It asks if device came with SIM. Answer NO. It will let you know that it is a 5G device and is compatible with network, etc. Everything looks good, agree to changes and then it shows result. The first time it did say success and I turned off my iphone. Turned Fold4 off and then on but still had no service. Repeated and then it said error, call support. I've had this happen with my S22 Ultra. I had to go to corporate store, they try it on their tablet and get same error. Call in and talk to tier 2/3? and they push it through. Sounds like this is the case too. Unfortunately with the device coming out (officially released Fri 08/26) stores are going to be jammed with customers. May want to do it when they open tomorrow. I wouldn't wait until Friday that's for sure!

Reactions: Smittyzz

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011
I'm going to test T-Mobile and see how it does for the moment it's performing well at my house much better then atnt and a bit better then Verizon I'm just happy to have a second source of service when Verizon goes dumb lol

Reactions: cpufrost

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Straight port from my other Samsung phone to the Fold 4 was super simple and took not even 5 minutes. This was with a T-Mobile eSim.
Yes this feature is currently only supported with TMO at the moment.
We definitely need an easier way to do esim. The carriers have had YEARS to get onboard with this.
As more devices are esim ready one would think the (carriers) would jump all over this as it would reduce the amount of calls for service. Verizon doesn't care as they have their stupid automated fence that is a real PIA! ;-)

Reactions: Smittyzz

YACO

Apr 12, 2008
Activated with T-Mobile (old spring account) eSIM yesterday. Pretty easy once they added the IMEI (wasn't working before)

jacobmervine

May 27, 2010
Pa
I just got my unlocked fold 4 from Best Buy today, went to activate the eSim, and spent all day trying to get it to work, two calls into CS, first one I was told it should work, the took the numbers and put it in their system. It didn't work, so called back after about an hour of no service, and was told T-Mobile system is broken right now for eSim on the fold 4 and I could only activate a standard SIM. I had one from the BB purchase, so they "activated" that one, and it didn't work..... luckily I live near a T-Mobile store, and the guy just activated a new standard sim and I have service finally, but not with an eSim! which I need for my dual sim setup for work. when he looked at my account he saw the eSim EID that I used when first trying, but no other differences that the CS reps made.
Ugh it was a day dealing with everything. So question out of all of this, did anyone activate T-mobile eSim today? also what process did you follow? The one on the phone where you login to your T-mobile account, or go online and "change sim" section?

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
Why are e-sim's such an issue in the USA? Just curious, as in the UK took me literally 30 seconds to swap my sim from s21u to this, and all it involved was a qr code in the EE app/site? Even my watch (which I thought was a pain) was only me ringing and telling them the watches new ID and plonk, away that went too.

• Haha
Reactions: zapote21

zapote21

Aug 18, 2009
Westfield, IN
Why are e-sim's such an issue in the USA? Just curious, as in the UK took me literally 30 seconds to swap my sim from s21u to this, and all it involved was a qr code in the EE app/site? Even my watch (which I thought was a pain) was only me ringing and telling them the watches new ID and plonk, away that went too.
Unfortunately the cell services in the US are years behind the rest of the world. Up until recently you could not even barely buy an unlocked device. Everything had to be under contract from the carriers...lol

Reactions: the_ape

garourx

Nov 7, 2017
I bought the Tmobile Z fold 4 through Samsung. It have Esim and sim card. I used the old sim card first (from previous phone) but the phone services was not working. I had to go to a tmobile, change to a new sim card. I asked to change to an Esim but the rep couldn't make it work. Somehow, only the text/call was working, no internet. I called a Tmobile Rep which told me to factory reset (After I spend a day setting up my phone). Thankfully, It works. Since my phone was factory reset, I asked the Tmobile rep to change to an Esim. They did and now I have Tmobile on the Esim. Phone is still locked though.

Squeaky369

Feb 20, 2008
Indianapolis
Sorry to bring an old post back, i saw a couple people mention that they purchased unlocked from Samsung and it eSIM works.

Can one of those folks confirm it's the U1 model?

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Confirmed by TMO at a US store that the TMO version has Esim enabled. Saw it myself with a TMO sim inserted
    They announced esim is available
    Yes and neither did the S21 Ultra and Flip 3.

At this point in the game I would be very surprised if any Samsung flagship didn't have it out of the box.
    I went on BestBuy's site, and had a chat with a 'geek' named Olivia. They sell the TMO locked version ( I bought the unlocked, but plan to have TMO SIM in it, so my bet it will boot into a TMO environment like the locked ones). As per very SPECIFIC questions I was told that the Fold 4 supports eSIM. I asked in three ways , and 2 out of the three questions were , in short. a 'YES' , the fold 4 US version under TMO will support eSIM to cover non TMO USA territories. The third question, if she can tell me if the menu under setting->connections have a SIM manager menu, was ignored.

Did I learn something new? NO. Do I know eSIM is supported? NOT SURE. I guess we will know around August 24th to 26th when the pre-orders from Samsung come in... Or maybe someone who got his AMAZON order maybe kind enough and share if the menu indeed exists..

My fear, before entering a TMO SIM, it will be there, and as soon as a TMO SIM will be entered, the menu will be gone... I have no doubt Samsung has the hardware. I will check the setting BEFORE I place the TMO SIM and will see...
    Confirmed by TMO at a US store that the TMO version has Esim enabled. Saw it myself with a TMO sim inserted
    Confirmed for T-Mobile i just enabled my Esim.