• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Is GCam working well on Lineage?

Search This thread

s1er

Aug 17, 2020
Hey,
I'm thinking about buying Pixel 5 and ungoogle it to certain level (I will most likely use microg). Does a modded GCam works as well as a stock Gcam? I know most of the pixel's camera quality comes from software, hence my question.

s1er

Aug 17, 2020
I can't compare the camera quality because I never used the stock version. I installed LOS right after getting my Pixel 5. the battery lasts about 12-18 hours, but i can't compare to stock here either though.
Do you know if it is possible to install the stock camera on lineage with microg or with the gcam services provider? I pretty much love the results of the stock cam.

Sorry about these newbie questions, by the way.

I tried a couple of times but it doesn't work for me. which is odd because the general consensus on the internet seems to be that it should. I never tried to install it using any gapps though, maybe that's why.

also your questions are perfectly fine, don't worry! not knowing stuff shouldn't be a reason for derision.

s1er

Aug 17, 2020
Yeah, I want to try and stay clear of Google with this phone (quite ironically, though), but not having the camera at its best is a dealbreaker for me.

I had the exact same thoughts! the irony of de-googling a Google device is very funny, although it's kind of...normal? I mean, both CalyxOS and GrapheneOS favour the Pixel phones. also it's like, a middle finger in Googles face lol
another thing I should probably mention about camera apps: I can't seem to access the ultra wide angle lens in third party apps and manual focus doesn't seem to work either in those. that might just be my device/setup though.

Reactions: s1er

s1er

Aug 17, 2020
For me is that it is the perfect phone to buy today.. I currently have an S7, which I love, but it's getting old (not charging sometimes, camera getting blurry, sad, really). So I've looking for a phone with the same specs - good camera, battery and at the same size (I hate current phone sizes).

I've reading on the lineage thread about people using gcam but with google service.. which i really want to avoid. I want to use, at max, microg. Thanks for the feedback, man.

Ele Na

Sep 27, 2021
Hi. Can you, please, help with the correct GCam app link for Pixel 3a XL running Lineage OS 18.1 (Android 11)? I became confused while trying to find something suitable.
Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't compare the camera quality because I never used the stock version. I installed LOS right after getting my Pixel 5. the battery lasts about 12-18 hours, but i can't compare to stock here either though.
    I had the exact same thoughts! the irony of de-googling a Google device is very funny, although it's kind of...normal? I mean, both CalyxOS and GrapheneOS favour the Pixel phones. also it's like, a middle finger in Googles face lol
    another thing I should probably mention about camera apps: I can't seem to access the ultra wide angle lens in third party apps and manual focus doesn't seem to work either in those. that might just be my device/setup though.