Is Gingerbread finally coming to the G3?

maverickgenius

Apr 14, 2011
Samsung is reportedly going to upgrade its Galaxy series of smartphones to Android 2.3 Gingerbread platform by the end of the year.The Mobile Indian quotes a Samsung executive as saying the upgrade should be available within six to eight weeks from now. According to the Samsung executive, the Gingerbread update will be rolled out for entire Galaxy series of smartphones. The development comes days after LG announced Gingerbread update (Android 2.3)for its Optimus smartphones. Sony Ericsson also started rolling out Android 2.3.4 update for its Xperia-range of smartphones.
Source:
http://www.thinkdigit.com/Mobiles-PDAs/Samsung-to-roll-out-Gingerbread-update-for_7854.html

What do you think? Will our G3 be in the list of phones getting GB?

turboblaz

Jan 8, 2011
Ljubljana
Hope so.If we will get update it will roll out after new year in february or something.But if we get it it would be realy good ;)

Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App

Smonic

Jul 17, 2011
Behind You
The phone could easily run gingerbread and Samsung isn't really doing it for the customers anyway. It's doing it because the optimus and xperia range of phones are all being upgraded to gingerbread and Samsung doesn't want to look like they don't care about their customers.

ak700

Nov 5, 2010
25.00° N, 71.00° W
Well I believe that history is repeating itself:rolleyes:
When Samsung was going to release the 2.3 update for galaxy s and other at that time it released the froyo update for us. It may be that now ICS is coming up so they want to release an update here just for the sake of name OHH WE HAVE I UPDATE FOR EVERYONE!!

raja4sure

Jul 10, 2011
let the hopes never die my friendsssss

Support this also......

http://getsatisfaction.com/samsungm...l&utm_source=reply_notification#reply_7087027

Edit : Samsung Quotes....

Samsung is going to ensure that all Android 2.2 Froyo running smartphones — Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Pop, and Galaxy Mini will get the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update before the end of this year. Apparently Samsung aims that all Android smartphones in India should run Gingerbread update

Last edited:

kyrillos13

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 26, 2010
Athens
Edit : Samsung Quotes....

Samsung is going to ensure that all Android 2.2 Froyo running smartphones — Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Pop, and Galaxy Mini will get the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update before the end of this year. Apparently Samsung aims that all Android smartphones in India should run Gingerbread update
Where did you see that quote?

maverickgenius

Apr 14, 2011
Hope so.If we will get update it will roll out after new year in february or something.But if we get it it would be realy good ;)

Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App
it seems the update is coming around the end of december.

Because htc and sony did it...
and LG too..

I hope so but I think that phone is too short of everything to work smoothly.
our G3 can easily run gingerbread and it will be smoother than froyo. phones with less specs are running GB

unreal3000

Nov 27, 2010
if the android os itself would be so demanding then phones wouldnt be able to handle apps on top of it.
g3 would probably be able to run icecream sandwich too but we will never be able to get it officialy.

Aj264

Nov 12, 2010
mehh..

I have no doubt about g3 handling gingerbread, have seem the current CM7 port run on it.

but since the statement was made by an Indian Samsung executive, and clearly mentioned the newer mid-range (pop, fit and mini) that came out with the 2.2 out of the box, I am afraid samsung might decide to forget about the g3's which seem to be discontinued in the indian market, as this is clearly a strategy to sell more mid-range phones to the indian consumers, what with the launch of icecream sandwich, froyo would seem too outdated out of the box unless an update was promised.

Well no harm in remaining hopeful, but i am still taking this with a pinch of salt.

bscraze

Aug 14, 2011
Singapore
Dont think that gingerbread is going to come.... froyo update took much longer to come than promised and if gingerbread is going to come, it'll probably b very late

protomank

Feb 13, 2011
Porto Alegre, RS
rockbot.upperland.net
I believe Samsung will only release gingerbread to the galaxy phones that are currently being sold (tab, ace, mini and such), not to the old ones (3, 5...).
But even so, maybe it is still of some use if developers can put their hands on some drivers for hardware in those models that were also used on the old ones.