Question is it possible to backup my phone with my current issue?

Search This thread

testask123

Sep 27, 2020
i need help making a backup of my phone, my screen is black so i can't see anything. my pc does recognizes it when connected.

p.s. haven't rooted my phone

i need help making a backup of my phone, my screen is black so i can't see anything. my pc does recognizes it when connected.

p.s. haven't rooted my phone
does the phone still have touch working despite screen is black? Touch is required because you will need to enable Developer Options and then USB debugging. Afterwards, you should be able to control your device via scrcpy using a computer. Or, make file backups by leveraging ADB command "adb pull", though this would already be possible when you connect the device and choose "File transfer" on a window that appears.

Last edited:

testask123

Sep 27, 2020
does the phone still have touch working despite screen is black? Touch is required because you will need to enable Developer Options and then USB debugging. Afterwards, you should be able to control your device via scrcpy using a computer. Or, make file backups by leveraging ADB command "adb pull", though this would already be possible when you connect the device and choose "File transfer" on a window that appears.
i can't tell, i don't here or feel vibration.

if i can't access debug, can i not backup?
is there no program that can make one?

bootloader is not unlocked
Is the warranty still valid? If YES, then i cannot help you, because unlocking the bootloader may render the warranty void (but i am not sure, you may confirm with relevant Xiaomi service centres).

ignore everything. this is because there is nothing we can do without the authorization from adb, or choosing "file transfer" during USB connection when in the OS

i am sorry

edit: also because i totally forgot that unlocking the BL will definitely wipe the device, which defeats the purpose of this thread!

Last edited:

testask123

Sep 27, 2020
Is the warranty still valid? If YES, then i cannot help you, because unlocking the bootloader may render the warranty void (but i am not sure, you may confirm with relevant Xiaomi service centres).

ignore everything. this is because there is nothing we can do without the authorization from adb, or choosing "file transfer" during USB connection when in the OS

i am sorry
is there no trustworthy program that could back it up?

After some quick googling @testask123 , the Poco F3 does not support HDMI-out through the usb-c port. This looks to me like a dead end, and we won't be able to backup the data from the phone. Because as previously mentioned, in order to backup any meaningful data, the user have to interact with the screen for confirmations.

I actually under the assumption that you want to backup the device before sending it for warranty replacement. I also assume that your screen is broken in some way, but the device is functional, for example, you can receive calls. If you are not going to warranty claim the phone, then you may replace the screen at repair shops without needing to format your data at all, thus giving you access to everything on your device once everything is up and running.

Final question, does the touch screen still work despite the screen is black?

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
It's mostly changing prop.default in the image, maybe add something to start adbd earlier in the boot process.
Or making a rooted recovery.
But this is all based on being able to flash something, either in fastboot or at a lower level with EDL/MSM.

Rstment ^m^

Aug 19, 2018
Xiaomi Poco F3
It's mostly changing prop.default in the image, maybe add something to start adbd earlier in the boot process.
Or making a rooted recovery.
But this is all based on being able to flash something, either in fastboot or at a lower level with EDL/MSM.
Ahhh I see , but why boot.img? It's rather difficult to modify for you gotta unpack ramdisk and all? ( I tried doing this long time ago but got stuck on how to repack properly x: )

System.img / vendor.img should be better targets for u can unsparse them ( make rw ) on PC and easily edit .prop files

It's a rly good idea

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
It's easier to pack something if you never unpack it.
imgutil.exe in my sig lets you modify boot images without taking it all apart.
Warning: Android moves on and many busy bees are working to make our lives more difficult.
If you have problem with imgutil.exe contact me about it.
Code:
C:\>imgutil.exe /v /x boot.img prop.default
C:\>my-fave-editor.exe prop.default
C:\>imgutil.exe /v /r boot.img prop.default
Just don't use some ignorant Windows editor like "Notepad" that uses \r\n.
I like Notepad++.

Also, with a boot image you can try booting it without flashing it.

testask123

Sep 27, 2020
After some quick googling @testask123 , the Poco F3 does not support HDMI-out through the usb-c port. This looks to me like a dead end, and we won't be able to backup the data from the phone. Because as previously mentioned, in order to backup any meaningful data, the user have to interact with the screen for confirmations.

I actually under the assumption that you want to backup the device before sending it for warranty replacement. I also assume that your screen is broken in some way, but the device is functional, for example, you can receive calls. If you are not going to warranty claim the phone, then you may replace the screen at repair shops without needing to format your data at all, thus giving you access to everything on your device once everything is up and running.

Final question, does the touch screen still work despite the screen is black?
it's hard to tell, maybe i should try to see if i can pull it of, but don't know the exact position of the usb setting in the dropmenu.

if someone could provide some screenshot, it might give me an idea where to tap.

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
i remember turning on wifi debugging, but dont know if that's still the case or even useful
Well, try to connect. Is WiFi on? Do you know the IP address? Can you get it from the router? Can you ping it?
Code:
C:\>adb connect 192.168.1.?
("?" is not literally a question mark, put a small number in there.)

testask123

Sep 27, 2020
Well, try to connect. Is WiFi on? Do you know the IP address? Can you get it from the router? Can you ping it?
Code:
C:\>adb connect 192.168.1.?
("?" is not literally a question mark, put a small number in there.)
the ip from the phone?
sorry i'm not so knowledgeable about these things and wanted to make sure

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
ip.png
Yeah, the IP of your phone.
If you're on your own router you can log in and see if your phone is there and what IP.

Now you know that my cheap Walmart tablet is on (local) IP 192.168.1.4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you have a recovery on it? Did it have ADB enabled on it? Can you get to recovery?

If you were unlocked and especially if you had Magisk'ed it we could easily mod the boot image to enable ADB.
    i remember turning on wifi debugging, but dont know if that's still the case or even useful
    Did you have a recovery on it? Did it have ADB enabled on it? Can you get to recovery?

If you were unlocked and especially if you had Magisk'ed it we could easily mod the boot image to enable ADB.