• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Is it possible to build android on non Google Phone?

Search This thread

KrishnaD3V

Aug 2, 2020
I have an old Samsung phone running on Marshmallow. I want to build android and flash it on the old phone. Many take Google Pixel to show how to do it and say it’s not possible to do it on non-Google device. Is there a way to get around it?

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
I have an old Samsung phone running on Marshmallow. I want to build android and flash it on the old phone. Many take Google Pixel to show how to do it and say it’s not possible to do it on non-Google device. Is there a way to get around it?
Sure. Here's some reading material on how to build a custom Android operating system. https://www.androidauthority.com/build-custom-android-rom-720453/

If it all seems too much, you could instead install a custom Android operating system prebuilt by others. One such example is LineageOS which has its own website and installation instructions.

You will have to first determine the exact model and sub-variant of your Samsung phone.

Then determine whether it is network carrier unlocked.

Then determine whether the bootloader is allowed to be unlocked (allow oem unlocking).

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus

KrishnaD3V

Aug 2, 2020
Either extract them from phone's Stock ROM file, or pull them out of phone. :)
I do have the stock rom file but I can’t find guide on how to do so. I found a video where person extracts it from lineage os. Is the process going to be the same? And by the way does it matter which version of stock rom I have because the phone came with android 5 and I updated it to 6 with official update.

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
It’s SM-A800I running android 6.0.1 . And it’s not on the list that you sent. What can I do?
Yeah, there's not much development on that device, I read somewhere that Samsung supposedly never released the source code. It is hard to search for, but I did find this link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...al-cyanogenmod-13-for-galaxy-a800f-i.3344081/

I did find out that the nickname of your SM-A800I model is "a8hplte" which might help you in search engines.

Looks like a dead end to me though.

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
I do have the stock rom file but I can’t find guide on how to do so. I found a video where person extracts it from lineage os. Is the process going to be the same? And by the way does it matter which version of stock rom I have because the phone came with android 5 and I updated it to 6 with official update.
The so-called binary blobs are kinds of hardware drivers, you can't simply extract them of a Custom ROM, you have to extract them from a phone's original Stock ROM, as I told you this already earlier.

These binary blobs typically are found under /vendor/lib(64), some also under /system, /etc and /bin.
Most of the blobs are executable files or libraries, run as independent services on phone's boot.

Reactions: zpunout

KrishnaD3V

Aug 2, 2020
The so-called binary blobs are kinds of hardware drivers, you can't simply extract them of a Custom ROM, you have to extract them from a phone's original Stock ROM, as I told you this already earlier.

These binary blobs typically are found under /vendor/lib(64), some also under /system, /etc and /bin.
Most of the blobs are executable files or libraries, run as independent services on phone's boot.
Thanks for the info

KrishnaD3V

Aug 2, 2020
Yeah, there's not much development on that device, I read somewhere that Samsung supposedly never released the source code. It is hard to search for, but I did find this link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...al-cyanogenmod-13-for-galaxy-a800f-i.3344081/

I did find out that the nickname of your SM-A800I model is "a8hplte" which might help you in search engines.

Looks like a dead end to me though.
Not so beginner friendly I guess 😅. I try my luck extracting the blobs as described by

jwoegerbauer.​

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.