Is it possible to change S20 FE G781B to G781U?

Search This thread

idaneli2

Apr 26, 2021
Sony Xperia 5
I was wondering if it is possible to flash G781U firmware on G781B since they have the same specs.
would love to hear what you think (or know).
Thanks

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
I'd keep the B model as it is as it can have it's bootloader unlocked. if you're taking that phone to the states someone would gladly buy it off you as is.
if you wanted updates after moving they could easily be manually downloaded and flashed. if you concerned about frequency bands then maybe there are ways to tackle that.

idaneli2

Apr 26, 2021
Sony Xperia 5
I'd keep the B model as it is as it can have it's bootloader unlocked. if you're taking that phone to the states someone would gladly buy it off you as is.
if you wanted updates after moving they could easily be manually downloaded and flashed. if you concerned about frequency bands then maybe there are ways to tackle that.
Thanks for the reply, I know its better to keep it that way but if I wanted to change it anyway, will it be possible or would I just brick the phone?

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
Thanks for the reply, I know its better to keep it that way but if I wanted to change it anyway, will it be possible or would I just brick the phone?
not sure to be honest, I suspect that the existing bootloader would generate a fail error before or just after you started but I can't say for sure.
if it did fail after starting to flash you'd need B firmware on hand to make it useable again.

igordashaar

Feb 20, 2018
Trying the same but switching from 781W to 781B. Had no success so far. Odin is failing to flash. At least so far I did not brick the device. Any advice is welcome

igordashaar

Feb 20, 2018
hm... I just learned that there may be no OEM unlocking option on my snapdragon device. There really is a lot to consider... Somehow OEM unlocking does not work on snapdragon devices from north america. In latin america although this might work. I don't really get what the point of all this is. [some sauce]

edit: maybe it is possible to unlock it through fastboot, but so far i only get a command not found error when using ´´´fastboot oem unlock´´´

Last edited:

idaneli2

Apr 26, 2021
Sony Xperia 5
hm... I just learned that there may be no OEM unlocking option on my snapdragon device. There really is a lot to consider... Somehow OEM unlocking does not work on snapdragon devices from north america. In latin america although this might work. I don't really get what the point of all this is. [some sauce]

edit: maybe it is possible to unlock it through fastboot, but so far i only get a command not found error when using ´´´fastboot oem unlock´´´
Yeah, from what I understand devices with U at the end of their model number are missing the OEM unlocking option. I think its stupid to only block the option to some of the world, I mean either block it completely or dont block it at all.
Maybe it is possible to change your model to W and then unlock it, I im not wrong you are supposed to be able to flash W firmware on your U device without unlocking the bootloader.
Just make sure you download firmware with the same binary number in the baseband (the fifth number from the right)

Last edited:

igordashaar

Feb 20, 2018
Yeah, from what I understand devices with U at the end of their model number are missing the OEM unlocking option. I think its stupid to only block the option to some of the world, I mean either block it completely or dont block it at all.
Maybe it is possible to change your model to W and then unlock it, I im not wrong you are supposed to be able to flash W firmware on your U device without unlocking the bootloader.
Just make sure you download firmware with the same binary number in the baseband (the fifth number from the right)

Unlike the original poster I am trying to go from SM-G781W to SM-G781B (or anything else that has german language).

To my understanding Samsung does this as the carriers in North America are requiring it, but not sure why.