Is it possible to downgrade and unlock bootloader?

Search This thread

tornado6

Jul 28, 2010
Ipoh
Hello all,

first off, i apologize as i made a mistake when i purchase a used unit of Pixel XL and only checked that it is unlocked and that no other usual problems (microphone working, camera working etc). so, i happily paid for it since it is unlocked (network) and working good. Went home, i tried the unlock and it did not allow me to proceed. Then i need to enable OEM unlock, only then i did my research and the used unit i purchased is a Best Buy unit, (basically Verizon unit?). so, i ended up unable to unlock my bootloader to perform root to do some volume tweak and kernel change :(

I am not from the US and Pixels here is usually imported in by resellers or people who have friends in US and they ship it here.

Is it possible i downgrade my factory image to a 7.1 version and perform the bootloader unlock? Was hoping this will work before i proceed as I have already setup my Pixel :(

wyrdtrtle

Feb 11, 2011
Durant,OK
The exploit used to toggle the OEM unlock in dev settings was patched.
And I'm pretty sure that the locked bootloader won't accept a downgrade, so if that is a Verizon pixel your basically stuck. But, I could be wrong, sadly, I don't think I am.
Hope you find a solution, but not likely to happen.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tornado6

Jul 28, 2010
Ipoh
The exploit used to toggle the OEM unlock in dev settings was patched.
And I'm pretty sure that the locked bootloader won't accept a downgrade, so if that is a Verizon pixel your basically stuck. But, I could be wrong, sadly, I don't think I am.
Hope you find a solution, but not likely to happen.

I see, this is a bit tough, i am considering to sell off this unit (might have to wait a bit) and get another unit that is from google store :( I am so far happy with the phone, except for the phone volume and some tweaks

It's not exactly Verizon unit from my own assumption. I believe it is Best Buy unit (which is technically Verizon unit with locked bootloader but faster update?)

cam30era

Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana
I see, this is a bit tough, i am considering to sell off this unit (might have to wait a bit) and get another unit that is from google store :( I am so far happy with the phone, except for the phone volume and some tweaks

It's not exactly Verizon unit from my own assumption. I believe it is Best Buy unit (which is technically Verizon unit with locked bootloader but faster update?)

Best Buy sells only Verizon units (Pixel and XL).

southernstyle

Jan 19, 2008
Does Google warranty the Verizon phones? You might be able to get them to swap the device? They also might only swap it with another Verizon model though. Just a thought

wyrdtrtle

Feb 11, 2011
Durant,OK
I remember someone saying they had rma'd a VZW pixel to Google, but I don't recall any ending. Think I read that in here, or XDA, or G+

tornado6

Jul 28, 2010
Ipoh
Does Google warranty the Verizon phones? You might be able to get them to swap the device? They also might only swap it with another Verizon model though. Just a thought

I wish I can do that, but I am not from the US and there won't be anyone to assist me with the device swapping :(

Just wish that there is an exploit out of the blue to enable me to unlock the bootloader :D

I just need to tweak the audio volume, use Franco's kernel and tweak the screen display a bit. the rest, I am good with the phone

Allync

Jul 1, 2016
hey

well im in the us if you wanna ship it to me i can get you rma up to you i am supposdly getting one from google since its a google phone