Is it possible to have root without installing a custom recovery?

Search This thread

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
Hey everyone.

I want to root 4.3 but I dont want to install CWM or TWR or another custom recovery. I want to keep stock recovery so I can directly update from Google when 4.4 is released.

Is there any way I can root without having a custom recovery?

Thanks for the help.

UK_Wildcats_Fans

May 22, 2008
Hey everyone.

I want to root 4.3 but I dont want to install CWM or TWR or another custom recovery. I want to keep stock recovery so I can directly update from Google when 4.4 is released.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can root without flashing a custom recovery. The first step is to obtain root access. The next step of installing a custom recovery (i.e. CWM or TWRP) is to flash ROMs and Kernels. You can just stop at ROOT.

FYI - There are stock and very close to stock ROMs available. Once Android 4.4 is released by Goggle, it does not take long (1-2 days) before people have the 4.4 available for flashing especially for the stock or close to stock ROMs. The more customized ROMs may take a little longer to have Android 4.4 ported into their ROMs.

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the help.

Fastboot boot recovery recovery.img and then flash the latest supersu.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

R

Rirere

Can you elaborate please?

I installed 4.3 trough fastboot but I dont get how to install supersu from there.

Thanks.

The command posted "fastboot boot boot.img" would boot your device once into a custom recovery without actually installing the recovery. From there, you can use the one-time booted recovery to install a root zip.

Warren_Orange

Jun 2, 2011
Yes.

I'm unlocked and rooted on the latest 4.3. N10 is so fast I don't feel the need for a custom rom at this present time.

N-Cry tool kit was the easiest I tried.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen

I installed 4.3 trough fastboot but I dont get how to install supersu from there.

Thanks.

First you need to download the latest supersu. Then you need to download a custom recovery from here: http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.5-manta.img
Place it on your C: drive.
Then go to fastboot and type:

Fastboot boot recovery C:/recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.5-manta.img

Then select recovery with the volume buttons and press the power button.
In recovery flash the latest supersu you downloaded.
! Wipe cache and dalvik cache !
Reboot.
You're now rooted and still have the stock recovery.

Reactions: rman18

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
First you need to download the latest supersu. Then you need to download a custom recovery from here: http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.5-manta.img

Reboot.

Thanks a lot!

One last doubt. When you say place the recovery img in C: you mean on my PC or on the Nexus 10?

Thanks again.

EDIT: I tried following your instructions but didnt manage to boot into the custom recovery. Maybe Im missing some step in cmd.

Last edited:

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Thanks a lot!

One last doubt. When you say place the recovery img in C: you mean on my PC or on the Nexus 10?

Thanks again.

EDIT: I tried following your instructions but didnt manage to boot into the custom recovery. Maybe Im missing some step in cmd.

Open your cmd, copy the recovery to your fastboot folder then cd to it. After that type:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery name here).img

"This Story Ends Where It Began" - Octavarium (Dream Theater)
Sent from my GT-I9505

chaosdefinesorder

Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge
Open your cmd, copy the recovery to your fastboot folder then cd to it. After that type:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery name here).img

"This Story Ends Where It Began" - Octavarium (Dream Theater)
Sent from my GT-I9505

Doesn't that require you to unlock your bootloader first? (and therefore wipe everything from the N10)

I originally rooted my N10 (running 4.2.2) using this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2003938 without unlocking the bootloader first...

No idea if it works on 4.3 or not, though...

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas

vince.lupe

Nov 6, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
I'm not sure if it requires unlocked BL. You can try, if it doesn't work, then you shall backup and unlock. But I believe it will work ;).

Will any of these methods work for the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, or are there any other ways? I want to gain root and upgrade when updates come out as well, but we have no custom recovery yet for the Tab 4. I wonder if I could fast boot with the custom recovery for Tab 3 if it will work?

cyberusman

Feb 12, 2013
Will any of these methods work for the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, or are there any other ways? I want to gain root and upgrade when updates come out as well, but we have no custom recovery yet for the Tab 4. I wonder if I could fast boot with the custom recovery for Tab 3 if it will work?
There is an app called towel root, basically what it does is temp root your phone. It doesnt work on android L, but it works on kitkat and below...

https://towelroot.com

SathishKies

Sep 30, 2014
Chennai
BOOTLOADER unlock

To issue this command I have to unlock the BOOTLOADER right...or I can issue the command without unlocking it..just from fastboot menu :confused:

pratyushdas96

Feb 2, 2017
How can i install twrp in my micromax canvas evok. In the official twrp site my mobile is not in the list. So what can i do? Please tell me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone.

Thanks for the help.

Fastboot boot recovery recovery.img and then flash the latest supersu.

Thanks.

Reboot.

To issue this command I have to unlock the BOOTLOADER right...or I can issue the command without unlocking it..just from fastboot menu :confused:
    To run

Code:
    fastboot boot boot.img

Yes, your bootloader needs to be unlocked.