Is it possible to root the "Nokia 8110 4G" running KaiOS ?

Search This thread

sgmarouf

Apr 16, 2014
Hello everyone.

Can we please get root on this phone?

Specs are:

Operating System: KaiOS
System chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon 205 MSM8905
Processor: Dual-core, 1100 MHz, ARM Cortex-A7, 32-bit, 28 nm
Graphics processor: Adreno 304
System memory: 0.5 GB RAM
Built-in storage: 4 GB
Storage expansion: up to 64 GB

nikosaek2121

Mar 4, 2018
Hello everyone.

Specs are:

Im also wondering the same thing

0312birdzhang

Yes, have been able to flash my own system and it is also possible to get ADB.

I am currently working on it, but it might take some days to get something useful out of it. As I just created a new account here, I am currently not able to post any links, but you can find my stuff linked on Twitter via @nexus511.

Good job! :good:

nexus511

Jul 24, 2018

Short update:

I have been able to gain root and I have also been able to modify selinux policies on the device. Then I have been running into some strange behavior. It actually looks like the kernel is telling to be running in permissive mode but even a permissive context seems to be enforcing instead.

I will try to use something like "Magisk" instead and see, if a service can solve this issue.

For anyone interested: The kernel-config can be extracted via /proc/config.gz. The dtb is compiled into the kernel image. Maybe I try extracting the dtb and building a codeaurora kernel for the device and see, how far I get with that. This might resolve the strange selinux issues I currently see.

0312birdzhang

Short update:

I have been able to gain root and I have also been able to modify selinux policies on the device. Then I have been running into some strange behavior. It actually looks like the kernel is telling to be running in permissive mode but even a permissive context seems to be enforcing instead.

I will try to use something like "Magisk" instead and see, if a service can solve this issue.

For anyone interested: The kernel-config can be extracted via /proc/config.gz. The dtb is compiled into the kernel image. Maybe I try extracting the dtb and building a codeaurora kernel for the device and see, how far I get with that. This might resolve the strange selinux issues I currently see.

This is a good news! I just bought a "banana" today, waiting for your good news :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: Frami111

Jack Phoenix

May 24, 2014
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Nokia X
Short update:

Sounds like you've made some impressive progress here, can't wait for more details! :)

Will you be posting a more detailed tutorial/how-to here or on your blog in the future?

Keep up the great work! :good:

fpb4

Feb 24, 2017
@nexus511, any way you could please share the root procedure or point to some resources?
Or...at the very least when you get a spare second, how you did manage to unlock your bootloader knowing Nokia has publicly acknowledge disabling Device > Developer?

Muchas,

Short update:

Last edited:

0312birdzhang

@nexus511, any way you could please share the root procedure or point to some resources?
Or...at the very least when you get a spare second, how you did manage to unlock your bootloader knowing Nokia has publicly acknowledge disabling Device > Developer?

Muchas,

Use OmniJB can enable "Developer Mode".

Tested on sideload mode

Reactions: Frami111 and fpb4

fpb4

Feb 24, 2017

Tested on sideload mode

Cheers mate :good: , that's a step forward (and cookie points to OmniJB's dev for the firefox 52.9 esr trick) - now WebIDE lists all runtime apps in Unrestricted DevTools privileges...which is great should I be willing to debug any of those or create my own. What I am looking for though is a way to *delete/un-install/remove* (no cigar remounting /system/b2g/webapps rw without root) some of the certified pre-installed applications (assistant to start with or the bunch of packaged Gameloft bloatware). Any idea - i've pm'ed @nexus511 for some root procedure but no answer yet? :confused:

luzzato

May 20, 2015
Cheers mate :good: , that's a step forward (and cookie points to OmniJB's dev for the firefox 52.9 esr trick) - now WebIDE lists all runtime apps in Unrestricted DevTools privileges...which is great should I be willing to debug any of those or create my own. What I am looking for though is a way to *delete/un-install/remove* (no cigar remounting /system/b2g/webapps rw without root) some of the certified pre-installed applications (assistant to start with or the bunch of packaged Gameloft bloatware). Any idea - i've pm'ed @nexus511 for some root procedure but no answer yet? :confused:

Could you remove the pre-installed apps?

speeduploop

Sep 17, 2018
Hi!

It's possible, to get full ADB-Root by injecting a patched adbd-binary. And with real swap instead of zram, the device is more responsive (background-tasks like Launcher/Homescreen are killed less often...)

As soon, as I have build my own patched adbd, I will provide an 'update.zip' -- it seems chainfire doens't like others to use his version. (OpenSource -- anyone? :D )

BTW: no, I don't have 'su' -- only my own priviledged additional startscript and ADB-Root but for me this is more than enough to 'work' ;)
(my goal is to create native apps with Ada/Gnoga - meaning native but with HTML5-GUI. First tests are working well...)

PolePolisher

Nov 8, 2006
I would love to have this phone without the pre-installed social media and game garbage, would your planned update.zip allow someone reasonably competent at following instructions to do this easily or is experience required?

speeduploop

Sep 17, 2018
It should be possible to remove those apps - but for me it's hard to say how. On my device there were no preinstalled apps/games other than snake. Everything else is (un)installable normally. Could be a region-thing ;)
(I've got the european/german version)
-- but on my device the store seems to be a 'static' bunch of zips - so it could kill the store to just remove those.
(i think I would need to adjust configs for the store if I want to clean them up)

If I remember correctly, there is a flag in the app-manifest to config if an app is removeable... my first try would be to edit this flag and check if I could uninstall it normally after this ;)
On the other hand: there is nearly no need to uninstall - KaiOS-Apps are small and with a sdcard....
(I created an extra 1GB-Swap on /data - even then enough space left)

BTW: if You have a little experience with android-stuff, rooting is simple when You know how :D
Enable adb --> just type *#*#33284#*#* on keypad of your phone (the digits spell 'debug' ;) )
-- build an update.zip - sign with AOSP-Test-Keys
--- let it create '/data/opt', '/data/opt/bin'
--- put an patched adbd (chainfire's v22 works) in /data/opt/bin
--- create /data/opt/init as a shellscript, remounting / rw, replace /sbin/adbd with patched one, remount / ro kill adbd so it restarts the patched version. (you may add commands for other stuff on boot - I disable zram, enable swapfile, start en Ada-Server....)
--- and add a call to '/data/opt/init' as last line to '/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh' so this 'init' will start with root-rights on startup.

This way /data/opt/init will inherit root from /etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh, so it can replace adbd - and because the patched version won't drop it's root-rights you'll have a root shell over adb.

As You see - it's quite trivial, but at the moment I don't have a patched adbd which I'm allowed to include.
(I hadn't time to build an AOSP-tree until now)

Reactions: vizdak

magicman84

Dec 20, 2014
Has anyone tried installing OmniJB from 4pda.ru website? (Sorry can't post links)

If you google "4pda 890710" it will bring it up.

Also, anyway of installing whatsapp yet?

teubay

Oct 19, 2018
I would love to have this phone without the pre-installed social media and game garbage, would your planned update.zip allow someone reasonably competent at following instructions to do this easily or is experience required?

root or create an update to edit /data/local/webapps/webapps.json
it worked on my phone no more s*** games and google stuff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.

Specs are:

Short update:

root-backdoor over telnet

Hi!

Sorry for the long pause...

In the meantime I switched from adb-insecure to a more linux-ish way ;)
    (KaiOS / Nokia 8110 isn't really Android)

Instead of switching adbd with a patched one I just create a root-shell over a telnet-backdoor :D
    Because 'telnetd' and 'telnet' are part of 8110's busybox we need no additional 3rd-party binaries...
    --> only some lines of shell-script.

I bound the telnetd to localhost so it's only accessible from the device itself.
    This means 'adb shell' will give you the normal non-root shell. But if you now connect from this shell with 'busybox telnet localhost' you will get a telnet-session with full root-rights :D

I attached two zips: telneton.zip and telnetoff.zip (names should tell what they do)
    To use them: in recovery first mount /system then update from zip

You can (and should) read the scripts -- the update-binaries in the zips are just scripts!
    You should know that's possible that this breaks OTA-Updates!
    You should know that you do this on your own risk!

BUT: Happy Hacking! :D

EDIT: now it's clear that rooting/changing /system will prevent update to v13... so be aware!
    (that's ok for me because the update to v13 will switch from test-keys to device-keys - so v13 is not rootable at the moment)
    Yes, have been able to flash my own system and it is also possible to get ADB.

I am currently working on it, but it might take some days to get something useful out of it. As I just created a new account here, I am currently not able to post any links, but you can find my stuff linked on Twitter via @nexus511.

Muchas,

Tested on sideload mode