Is it possible to root without volume rocker?

Search This thread

skinnyveganboy

Apr 11, 2010
Victorville, CA
I was gifted an old slide parts phone which I was able to get working. The volume rocker flex ribbon and the terminal it connects to on the motherboard are both broken. The previous owner must have tried to fix it before me but didn't know how to remove the flex cable from the motherboard so they pried on it the wrong way and the little black hinge that secures the cable in place broke off. On top of that, the flex ribbon on the volume rocker itself has been bent back and forth so many times that it's not making connection anymore. I'm wondering if it's at all possible to root the phone without going into recovery as I can't seem to find a way to get into recovery without the use of the volume rocker being depressed.

Here's my progress so far:

I have root in adb but cannot install busybox or su because as soon as I try to do anything to /system/bin the available space of /system goes from 7320K to 0K. I can "df" in adb shell and see that I have the 7MB available but as soon as I do anything (chmod, mkdir, ls, cd...) it shuts down on me and displays 0K. I can still however successfully chmod to say 777 but I cannot push anything into /system/bin due to the apparent 0K space available. I know how to root for the most part, I am a CIS major in college, I have knowledge of unix and I still can't figure this out. has anyone had better experience than I? Thanks.

qnz001

May 16, 2012
I was gifted an old slide parts phone which I was able to get working. The volume rocker flex ribbon and the terminal it connects to on the motherboard are both broken. The previous owner must have tried to fix it before me but didn't know how to remove the flex cable from the motherboard so they pried on it the wrong way and the little black hinge that secures the cable in place broke off. On top of that, the flex ribbon on the volume rocker itself has been bent back and forth so many times that it's not making connection anymore. I'm wondering if it's at all possible to root the phone without going into recovery as I can't seem to find a way to get into recovery without the use of the volume rocker being depressed.

Here's my progress so far:

I have root in adb but cannot install busybox or su because as soon as I try to do anything to /system/bin the available space of /system goes from 7320K to 0K. I can "df" in adb shell and see that I have the 7MB available but as soon as I do anything (chmod, mkdir, ls, cd...) it shuts down on me and displays 0K. I can still however successfully chmod to say 777 but I cannot push anything into /system/bin due to the apparent 0K space available. I know how to root for the most part, I am a CIS major in college, I have knowledge of unix and I still can't figure this out. has anyone had better experience than I? Thanks.

Hello skinnyveganboy,
I've the same issue with volume rocker that doesn't due to broken ribbon cable. Have you found a workaround yet? if yes can you help me sending step-by-step procedure with file names? I've mostly download all the required files. Thank in advance

Z

Zpik

my voume rockers dont work either, olease help!!!:crying::crying::crying: