• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Is it still a good idea to update Android to the newest version?

Search This thread

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
I originally bought the Nexus 6P because of the fast updates and the greater degree of customization than many other device lines. However, the Nougat and now the Oreo updates are beset by hardware issues that occur after installation. Even when there are fixes, these usually end up compromising on some aspect (such as disabling hardware). This has deterred me and (possibly) many others from going further than Marshmallow and has caused some to migrate towards other phones.

I think that it's great that we even have choices on whether or not to get the latest version of Android, but it is not great knowing that there's a good chance that something will get messed up and that the only ways to remedy said messes is to basically cripple our phones. I am legitimately scared and/or fearful of upgrading to Oreo; however, the various new features are incredibly tempting and it's getting harder to resist doing it.

Please note that I'm not disparaging those who make the fixes to these issues; in fact, those people should be commended for salvaging the Nexii of those afflicted with hardware problems into workable states. It just seems kind of sad, disappointing, or maybe even somewhat depressing that to get the newest Android OS (a main highlight of Nexus), severe compromises must be made.

So, returning to the topic, is it safe/a good idea to upgrade Android to the newest version.?

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
What do you mean by "cripple" the phone? The issues I've seen with this device are hardware related and haven't been due to software. Either way, unlock the bootloader and you can flash old images if you for whatever reason want to go to an older version.

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
What do you mean by "cripple" the phone? The issues I've seen with this device are hardware related and haven't been due to software. Either way, unlock the bootloader and you can flash old images if you for whatever reason want to go to an older version.

When Nougat was released. some users reported shutdowns before 0% charge was indicated and for Oreo, BLODs. Note that in both cases, the hardware issues appeared post-update. It may be possible that the software triggered hardware problems. Additionally, when I meant that fixes required 'crippling" the phone, I was referring to the fact that the BIG cores usually have to be disabled; this causes a big performance hit.

It would be nice if people could just revert to a previous version of Android to get rid of problems, except that the issues are known to remain even after downgrading.

Last edited:

lil_ith

Oct 30, 2017
When Nougat was released. some users reported shutdowns before 0% charge was indicated and for Oreo, BLODs. Note that in both cases, the hardware issues appeared post-update. It may be possible that the software triggered hardware problems. Additionally, when I meant that fixes required 'crippling" the phone, I was referring to the fact that the BIG cores usually have to be disabled; this causes a big performance hit.

It would be nice if people could just revert to a previous version of Android to get rid of problems, except that the issues are known to remain even after downgrading.

If you get BLOD it's a hardware issue and it cannot be fixed by reverting to an earlier version. Only flashing a kernel with a fix can get it working again and once you get BLOD your device is on its last legs until the next bootloop happens and then it's none recoverable. The early shut down is related to battery. My device hasn't been affected by BLOD but it shuts down at 15%. I am trying to find a good battery replacement. Must make sure it's got a thick cable for temp sensor and isn't bad quality or you will suffer the same fate.

RØ35

Jan 30, 2016

As everybody said BLOD is an hardware issue and sure nougat update caused problems (or so we think) but Oreo hasn't caused that much problems. So you should upgrade to Oreo in my opinion.

frnt

May 6, 2009
I'm Now on February Update, the battery and performance is not good.

But on November update the phone is very fast in performance and has the best battery life. After that it's bad.

I cannot roll back without root. I'm not rooted, so yeah i regret doing the last two updates.

I'm planning of installing Lineage OS when they release version 15.