Is it worth buying a 3a these days?

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thanks, I saw someone mention the oneplus 5t so looked it up on ebay they are going used for like £10-20 more than the P3A, know anything about that? might wait until I see a lower one or one with offers and offer less etc.
Just be careful. Lots of scamming and misrepresentation going on. That's one reason I paid extra for a new N10+ 9 months ago.
Since you're buying a phone that been out for more then a year, read up on the reviews of how it's doing. Get one that's known to be rock solid, repairable (especially the battery) and is holding up well.
Do a ScreenTest when you get it and make sure the display is perfect. Throughly check for connectivity, good imei (make sure it's unlocked and paid off), and no FRP lock.

Attachments

• Screen Test 1.9.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I see you have a degree in CRT
That explains the problem.
I see you have a degree in CRT

How can you sit there and say

How is Microsoft related in any way?

I blame the parents

All 14 of my grandchildren answered this question

I will not hold yer hand for the answer

I as an American is very embarrassed by the lack of EDUCATION
So the answer is there's is no direct connection. Parroting the link I already provided is pointless.
Cathode ray tube you mean?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I miss having an SD card slot. but sd card slot + 3.5mm jack + moddable is hard to find these days.
Mid range Samsung's have them but that's fked up... I use the Buds+ and using the SSC codec and Poweramp they sound pretty good. Really long battery life.
The N10+ is just a good combination and balance which Samsung has failed to achieve since. Dropping the expandable storage was just rock stupid inept of them.

One selling points of the N10+ is it's longevity. This one has thousands of hours on it, still running on Pie, current load is over 2 yo. It shows no signs of display degradation, it looks new. One battery replacement coming up for a 2nd one soon is the only repair its needed. Always in a case.

The Fold series weak spot is... the fold of coarse.
It's going to fail, the only question is when. That would get on my nerves. Samsung has been dropping the ball in numerous ways since the N10+; they gave me no drop in flagship replacement for my N10+ in almost 3 years now.
Screw 'em. Bought a second new N10+ 7 months or so ago. I'm good for another 2-3+ years. Many of the newer features come at the cost of power efficiency, reliability and color rendering. I rather have a well balanced flagship that fulfills its mission. The N10+ is 30gms lighter than the S22U, 1mm thinner and has the bloody spen on the right side.

If you want the advanced features you'll need to pick your poison. The N20U is not an ideal choice and it gets worse from there going to the S21/22U. Not much bang for the buck.
Personally I'm not impressed with Samsung's current flagship offerings across the board now. All hype and no guts.

Reactions: paradoxiumwind

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
I'm basically looking for equivelant-or-better than a P3A, which will cost me like £80~ on ebay for a used one. It seems to be a couple years older, but the OnePlus 5T https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Google-Pixel-3A-vs-OnePlus-5T seems to be the way to go? roughly £60-90 ebay used in good condition.

Can get another pixel 3a for the same price.. but the 5T is better right? I don't follow modern phone stuff at all so no idea what is 'good' now, I'm just buying used anyway.

Thanks dude,

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I'm basically looking for equivelant-or-better than a P3A, which will cost me like £80~ on ebay for a used one. It seems to be a couple years older, but the OnePlus 5T https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Google-Pixel-3A-vs-OnePlus-5T seems to be the way to go? roughly £60-90 ebay used in good condition.

Can get another pixel 3a for the same price.. but the 5T is better right? I don't follow modern phone stuff at all so no idea what is 'good' now, I'm just buying used anyway.

Thanks dude,
OP gets good reviews and seem to have good displays but I've only briefly looked at current ones. Don't go too retro. Aim for 12gb of ram, Android 9 or 10.
Never had a Pixel.
Samsung's don't go below a N10+ the or S10+ generation. Sharp performance drop.

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
OP gets good reviews and seem to have good displays but I've only briefly looked at current ones. Don't go too retro. Aim for 12gb of ram, Android 9 or 10.
Never had a Pixel.
Samsung's don't go below a N10+ the or S10+ generation. Sharp performance drop.

Can you name any devices? really got no idea what to look for, just something I can get <£100 used on ebay - screen doesn't matter that much to me, good camera and jack and moddable like this etc primary.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Personally, I'd stay away from the Pixel 3 due to disappointing battery life and overheating issues. The 4a is a bit better. The best value IMO is the 5a. Same SoC as the 4a5g and 5, with a larger screen and battery.

Unless your credit is terrible, you'll likely qualify for the interest free financing. Look for a sale on the 5a when the 6a launches. I picked the 5a up for my wife for $349 when the 6/6Pro launched.
    If you're going to root and load a custom rom I go for the phones with the best hardware for the price. Older highly rated flagships be ideal. A SD card slot be useful.

Keep it simple: A 60hz refresh rate Amoled display with a high color rendering index.
    That support 4G VoLTE.
    Who's bootloaders compatible with firmware you want to load.
    You have a lot of options, take your time and buy from a reliable vendor, whatever you chose.
    Why do you want to change anyway? The Moto G5 still has official Lineage support. And technically it offers everything you need with a perfect small size. If you want a new one, you can't go wrong with a Pixel. I currently have a Pixel 1 and am very satisfied. Great quality and perfect custom rom support.
    I tried out Lineage18, the g5 was an absolute slug. Probably because it only has 2gb of RAM. Way better sticking with Nougat/Oreo vintage roms. Even on LOS14 I find the odd time I do use it for typical smartphone crap (web browsing, etc) it still is pretty ponderous. I also keep kicking myself in the ass for not noticing there was no compass either. Based on that alone I would've bought something else.
    The Pixels do seem to check all of the boxes, feature wise, and I keep reading recommendations about buying older flagship models. I just haven't done much digging into the Pixel lineup until now and have no idea how much older is a safe bet.
    I also have looked at some of the older Oneplus models, but it seems like they're prone to screen issues - most of the ones I've seen for sale mention screen burn
    All AMOLED displays have a finite lifespan. The higher energy blue pixels tend to go first, reds last. How high the brightness and for how long has a direct bearing on lifespan.
    This N10+ has been heavily used for 2.5 years and has gone through one battery, soon the second one as well. Yet the display is still perfect.
    I almost never use in direct sunlight and rarely go above 50% brightness, I manual brightness only except very rarely. I also use dark mode and wallpapers. Minimized red icon pack.

Problem is with used devices all you can do is use ScreenTest to look for damage or age related wear. This should be done even with new displays. One of the first things I test. For a higher price unsold older factory sealed new phones from 2020 can be had. My second N10+ was one of these. The benefits are obvious but they are almost double the price of a used one.

Regardless always buy from a trusted vendor, best to talk with them first. There's a lot of scamming going on... always use a Visa or MC to buy it with so you can do a charge back if needed.
    All AMOLED displays have a finite lifespan. The higher energy blue pixels tend to go first, reds last. How high the brightness and for how long has a direct bearing on lifespan.
    This N10+ has been heavily used for 2.5 years and has gone through one battery, soon the second one as well. Yet the display is still perfect.
    I almost never use in direct sunlight and rarely go above 50% brightness, I manual brightness only except very rarely. I also use dark mode and wallpapers. Minimized red icon pack.

Problem is with used devices all you can do is use ScreenTest to look for damage or age related wear. This should be done even with new displays. One of the first things I test. For a higher price unsold older factory sealed new phones from 2020 can be had. My second N10+ was one of these. The benefits are obvious but they are almost double the price of a used one.

Regardless always buy from a trusted vendor, best to talk with them first. There's a lot of scamming going on... always use a Visa or MC to buy it with so you can do a charge back if needed.
    Good advice. Most likely I'd end up buying through Amazon.ca. They seem to have a decent refurb. policy, and of course are great for returns.
    I'd totally buy a NiB or open box except the prices for those units are absurd here in Canada - basically original MSRP for a 3yr. old phone when it comes to the Pixel models