• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Is it worth it to root the Samsung Tab S7? What are the downsides? What do *you* personally use root for?

Search This thread

fuzzybabybunny

Sep 29, 2007
It's been over 5 years since I've rooted a Samsung or Android device. I've heard that rooting Samsung will trip Knox, which means banking apps won't work and even things like Magisk Hide might fail to keep the app working after root. I use Chase, Charles Schwab, and numerous Chinese banking and shopping apps.

On the Tab S7, are there any specific added abilities that root can give you that *you* really appreciate? I'm not really interested in changing the UI, but it sometimes is nice to disable some Samsung bloatware.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I don't. Not worth trashing my Note 10+ for.
If successful the biggest downside is the time.
Rooting is a gravity well that just keeps pulling.

Given they've made it impossible to unlock the bootloader on the phones (yes you can pay for it...) and the fact is there are still a few root only apps Ive grown addicted to over the years ...Id have to say YES.OK I understand in today's world phones are used as billfolds and need top level security, ok I get that.BUT it is nice to have one bleeding edge device that is 100% mine. (Not that my s21 Ultra isnt all mine I bought it unlocked and use Google Fi, but you know my meaning.) I love my Rooted S7+ :)

I've not had that experience, I'm only rooted stock ,with just the bloat stuff I didn't use removed.Ive had no problems at all. I just love to be able to assign 25 or 30 simple ,easy to remember gestures that make navigation efficient and clean . I don't even have a single icon on my home screen, nothing but a custom clock widget and a geofence widget so I always know where I am and what time it is lol.

gernerttl

I haven't rooted since I had my Galaxy Nexus almost 10 years ago. The amount of bloatware is minimal and unobtrusive. I prefer being able to use my banking and other apps that rely on Knox.

Unless you're an enthusiast or developing new ROMs, rooting is really not needed anymore.

I have the 512GB Tab S7 and the 512GB Note 10+ with a 512GB microSD card in each. So I'm not hurting for space.

AHE_XDA

Mar 20, 2019
I did not root my Tab S6 nor its replacement, the Tab S7+.

I did, however, use ADB to disable to save battery and disable unused features.

Seeing as the Tab S6 and the Tab S7/7+ ship with high-end specifications, the performance gains outside the box are noticeable.

I think @blackhawk said it best:

"Rooting is a gravity well that just keeps pulling."

Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Given they've made it impossible to unlock the bootloader on the phones (yes you can pay for it...) and the fact is there are still a few root only apps Ive grown addicted to over the years ...Id have to say YES.OK I understand in today's world phones are used as billfolds and need top level security, ok I get that.BUT it is nice to have one bleeding edge device that is 100% mine. (Not that my s21 Ultra isnt all mine I bought it unlocked and use Google Fi, but you know my meaning.) I love my Rooted S7+ :)
    I did not root my Tab S6 nor its replacement, the Tab S7+.

I did, however, use ADB to disable to save battery and disable unused features.

Seeing as the Tab S6 and the Tab S7/7+ ship with high-end specifications, the performance gains outside the box are noticeable.

I think @blackhawk said it best:

"Rooting is a gravity well that just keeps pulling."