Question Is it worth it to upgrade to z fold 3

Search This thread

droid745

Aug 16, 2012
I received a used z fold 2 in pristine condition that was used for a month or less and can upgrade to the z fold 3 for $500. Is it worth the upgrade for $500?

Fytdyh

I received a used z fold 2 in pristine condition that was used for a month or less and can upgrade to the z fold 3 for $500. Is it worth the upgrade for $500?
I would say no. You get
CONS:
a smaller outer display
A smaller battery,
PROS
a tad better processor
a kinda invisible under display inner camera, which is a worse compared to fold 2.

Reactions: blackhawk

droid745

Aug 16, 2012
I would say no. You get
CONS:
a smaller outer display
A smaller battery,
PROS
a tad better processor
a kinda invisible under display inner camera, which is a worse compared to fold 2.
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Just wish the z fold 2 had a better inner screen protector like the 3 as the rubbery feeling kind of sucks on the 2. I think I will just keep the 2 and see what they do with the z fold 4 next year and then maybe upgrade to that.

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Just wish the z fold 2 had a better inner screen protector like the 3 as the rubbery feeling kind of sucks on the 2. I think I will just keep the 2 and see what they do with the z fold 4 next year and then maybe upgrade to that.
You will probably be able to get a better deal on trade in, too. I managed to snaffle an au$1,300 trade in discount (~us$900) plus half price care + by trading in my Z Flip that only cost au$1,000 last year. It was a limited time offer, and Samsung often do these.

I would say no. You get
CONS:
a smaller outer display
A smaller battery,
PROS
a tad better processor
The outer display is the exact same size on both devices. And the battery size is very close. 4500 vs 4400.

You also get water resistance and SPen compatibility.

I had the ZF2 for almost a year, and the ZF2 has been a great upgrade, well worth the money in my opinion. $500 to upgrade is a really good real, but I think Best Buy has some pretty crazy offers right now too.

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
I would say what's $500 worth to you. $500 isnt much to some, I spend more on dinner. So I would upgrade all day everyday. I will say that the z fold 3 is the first phone in years that I won't switch from until it's successor comes out (the Motorola RAZR back in 2004 was the last). It does everything right for me. Especially since I use the camera only once a month.

imapfsr

Aug 9, 2005
Victoria, British Columbia
I would upgrade without question. If not just for the fact that I live in an area with bad reception and the F3 is getting much better reception then the F2 to the point where I don't have to be on wifi calling to use the phone on the F3. The internal screen is much better to the touch and definitely feels tougher and certainly not as sticky and rubbery as the F2 screen does...love the F3.

dezborders

The outer display is the exact same size on both devices. And the battery size is very close. 4500 vs 4400.

Whilst battery is 5% smaller, SOT & usage from a full charge is 25 to 30% less on the Fold3..
Definitiely a much worse battery drain on an Fold3 vs Fold2. I would NOT upgrade right now!
(I do have my fingers crossed Android 12 closes the battery life gap ... but am not holding my breath).

Whilst battery is 5% smaller, SOT & usage from a full charge is 25 to 30% less on the Fold3..
Definitiely a much worse battery drain on an Fold3 vs Fold2. I would NOT upgrade right now!
(I do have my fingers crossed Android 12 closes the battery life gap ... but am not holding my breath).
I've had the ZF3 since launch and yes at first battery life was terrible. All new devices are like that. Go through ANY forum here, and you'll see complaints on every single one of them about battery life at launch. ALL of them.

But it has improved and I would say it's very comparable now to the ZF2, which I owned for almost a year.

I would definitely upgrade from the ZF2 to the ZF3 given a good deal.

dezborders

I've had the ZF3 since launch and yes at first battery life was terrible. All new devices are like that. Go through ANY forum here, and you'll see complaints on every single one of them about battery life at launch. ALL of them.

But it has improved and I would say it's very comparable now to the ZF2, which I owned for almost a year.

I had a Fold3 for 2 months and battery life was CONSISTENTLY 25 - 30% poorer than on the F2

Some Forum members point at Snapdragon 888 as a power hog. Other people have other ideas

Constant factor for me is 25% WORSE battery life.on F3 over what I had with F2

@OP Don't upgrade from a F2 to an F3 if getting a full days use on one full charge is important to you :)

vinczetibor

Feb 11, 2007
Budapest
I had a Fold3 for 2 months and battery life was CONSISTENTLY 25 - 30% poorer than on the F2

Some Forum members point at Snapdragon 888 as a power hog. Other people have other ideas

@OP Don't upgrade from a F2 to an F3 if getting a full days use on one full charge is important to you :)
I didn't have the Fold 2 but I had S20 Ultra and the Fold 3 battery time is better than the S20 Ultra's.

m_w_clarke

Feb 17, 2011
I can only offer my experience of battery and that it has been excellent. I have about 40% left at the end of a day.
Thats with alot of spotify streaming, gps/fitbit as I use for a run, YouTube for about an hour, with Twitter and Facebook thrown in for extra.

Blues fan

Jul 11, 2015
The real question is if you didn't have the Z fold 3 and being 60 days away when the S22 Ultra/Note with Spen hits the stores is it even worth upgrading? You know many on XDA will be running to the S22 Ultra with built in Spen when it hits.

I currently have the S21Ultra and love the Note line. Saki will be Flossy will be all saying to get it when it hits.

Reactions: dezborders

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The real question is if you didn't have the Z fold 3 and being 60 days away when the S22 Ultra/Note with Spen hits the stores is it even worth upgrading? You know many on XDA will be running to the S22 Ultra with built in Spen when it hits.

I currently have the S21Ultra and love the Note line. Saki will be Flossy will be all saying to get it when it hits.
-If- Samsung gets their sorry Note act together it will likely be in the fall of next year.
Even if that happens Android has dropped the ball twice now with Android 11 and 12.
It will be probably closer to 2 years before their scoped storage mess gets effectively implemented.

Blues fan

Jul 11, 2015
-If- Samsung gets their sorry Note act together it will likely be in the fall of next year.
Even if that happens Android has dropped the ball twice now with Android 11 and 12.
It will be probably closer to 2 years before their scoped storage mess gets effectively implemented.

the S22 Ultra IS the Note It's called the S22 Ultra but it's just the Note with a new name. Going forward the Ultra is the Note device released with the S series.

I don't like the Android 12 myself. My S21 Ultra is flawless, was and Android 12 it's acting buggy now. Seeing a lot of people complaining about it with their Fold devices as well.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
the S22 Ultra IS the Note It's called the S22 Ultra but it's just the Note with a new name. Going forward the Ultra is the Note device released with the S series.

I don't like the Android 12 myself. My S21 Ultra is flawless, was and Android 12 it's acting buggy now. Seeing a lot of people complaining about it with their Fold devices as well.
We'll see what the rabid box of gerbils know as Samsung does in the coming year.

I bought my second new N10+ 2 months ago because I like them a lot, they're a solid workhorse and don't want to deal with the multiple issues both Samsung and Android are having with their new technologies. I'm running on Android 9 and 10 with zero incentive to go beyond Android 10.

Of course it depends what's important to the individual. I've never had any major security issues even on the 2 yo Pie variant, but scoped storage would trash my freeware office app for starters.
Color rendering, good low light display usability and battery life are more important variable refresh rates. Add to that I know the N10+'s display is long lived and reliable.
5G isn't worth the power trade off as 4G gets it done and will even speed up a bit because of the 5G users reducing the pressure on the 4G bandwidth.
A faster Snapdragon and ram memory be nice but that be offset somewhat by scoped storage and forced encryption.
A SD card slot is mandatory; I need my dual drive computer.
I prefer the square display corners immensely as well as the 7mm profile with no cam hump.
Absolutely insist on a native spen, preferably on the right side and with bt remote capability.

Samsung runs hot and cold.
When they're running what you consider to be hot, grab it.
When they're cold, let Samsung hold on to it🤣
When in doubt, wait.

dezborders

I bought my second new N10+ 2 months ago because I like them a lot, they're a solid workhorse and don't want to deal with the multiple issues both Samsung and Android are having with their new technologies. I'm running on Android 9 and 10 with zero incentive to go beyond Android 10.

Each to their own.... N10+ x2 and Android 9 and 10. on them. You are in a unique group with a membershuip of 1! :geek:

I will stick to using the latest & greates devices with the current OS & all available security patches applied as soon as released.
(like 99.9999% of XDA users I imagine)

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Each to their own.... N10+ x2 and Android 9 and 10. on them. You are in a unique group with a membershuip of 1! :geek:

I will stick to using the latest & greates devices with the current OS & all available security patches applied as soon as released.

Remember Google stopped reporting their user Android version adaptation... we know why.
Had Goggle and particularly Samsung done their job well... I be holding it🤣

dezborders

Remember Google stopped reporting their user Android version adaptation... we know why.
Had Goggle and particularly Samsung done their job well... I be holding it🤣
To he honest I have used Android 10 11 and 12 on many brands and devices and never had any serious issues with any of them - never ever ...

In the last 8 weeks I have used Android 12 as daily driver on Xiaomi Mi11, Google Pixel 6 Pro and S21 Ultra and all of them were stable and smooth as butter... And all with spectacular battery life over my own previous Android 11 SOT experience with each of them

That's why I'm holding onto my F3 until A12 stable is released... just to see if I can manage a full days use on a Fold3 without experiencing battery anxiety by mid afternoon :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I would say no. You get
    CONS:
    a smaller outer display
    A smaller battery,
    PROS
    a tad better processor