• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Is it worth it? Why and why not?

Search This thread

phantom146

Apr 30, 2015
Malabon
I came from Angler. I lost my LCD due to some dumb reasons and was about to proceed to a repair center but turned around when I got the price for its repair (Costs 8,800 Php in the Philippines with battery replacement).

So right now I'm considering on buying a new phone. Which of course, since the Nexus family isn't continuing; I've set my eyes on OP. I know its a fantastic phone and did my research on it a lot. So my questions are:

• Is it worth to get OP5? Why?
  • Should I wait for OP5T? (still skeptical since in the Ph the price actually skyrockets to +$200)
  • Is the camera better or at least as good as angler?
  • Lastly, does the Audio HAL/sounds are better than angler?

Please do help a buddy out on deciding. I'm currently stuck on 3 choices: repairing my angler or buying an OP5 or wait for OP5T but die because I don't have a phone in my hands atm and the price would most likely be about $600-700 in PH.

Also take note: OP doesn't have any warranty in the PH. If I destroyed it due to unknown reasons, the only repair I can guarantee is my tears. Phone costing $499 in your country always has about $50-99 more in mine due to delivery costs and stuff.

Please do help a brother out... Thanks!
@shadowstep I will summon you

exce1ia

Jan 10, 2017
Digital Walker offers 1 year warranty in thr Philippines and their price is not that far from the orginal price. Have you checked that store out? I'm pretty sure they'll be selling the OP5T when it comes out.

I got my device from them.

Reactions: phantom146

jhs39

Oct 8, 2015
Chicago
The One Plus 5 is a good phone in terms of hardware specs and development community but it's a poor phone in terms of build quality. My headphone jack was unusable within 90 days. The USB port and buttons and alert slider are all budget phone quality. I would not buy a One Plus phone if there were no warranty or repair options because it most likely will end in tears.

To answer your questions : sound was superior on the angler. The camera hardware in the OP5 is more powerful on paper than the camera hardware in the angler but the camera app in the OP5 is crap so the angler took much better pictures. Unless you are willing to put the OP5 on a tripod and use expert mode to manually change the settings the camera hardware on the OP5 is wasted. My $150 Samsung J3 took better pictures, especially in low light. The angler is also smoother IMO, has far better speakers and a display with no jelly effect.

The OP5 has massively better battery life than the angler, runs cooler and has a more efficient processor where thermal throttling is never an issue. It also charges much faster.

With the OP5T coming out soon if you are determined to get a One Plus phone I think it would be foolish to buy an OP5 now unless the price is fantastic. The 5T will likely be a better phone and the resale value of the OP5 will drop like a rock because of the jelly effect problem.

phantom146

Apr 30, 2015
Malabon
Digital Walker offers 1 year warranty in thr Philippines and their price is not that far from the orginal price. Have you checked that store out? I'm pretty sure they'll be selling the OP5T when it comes out.

Yes I did, unfortunately like OP3T and others, the release from them would likely be delayed for 2 months just like OP5 was released around July-August. I am in need of a phone right now especially in terms of work and family. Warranty will be voided once I do some things with OP but I'm pretty sure I can just reflash factory image to boot it up and proceed with warranty.
To answer your questions : sound was superior on the angler. The camera hardware in the OP5 is more powerful on paper than the camera hardware in the angler but the camera app in the OP5 is crap so the angler took much better pictures. Unless you are willing to put the OP5 on a tripod and use expert mode to manually change the settings the camera hardware on the OP5 is wasted. My $150 Samsung J3 took better pictures, especially in low light. The angler is also smoother IMO, has far better speakers and a display with no jelly effect.

The OP5 has massively better battery life than the angler, runs cooler and has a more efficient processor where thermal throttling is never an issue. It also charges much faster.

Your post makes sense. I do know that Angler takes better picture and I really think OP has a crappy software that makes the phone's camera specs wasted. +1 on angler on that but I didn't know angler has a better speaker, though I'm more concerned on Audio HAL which is the headphone's jack, which you say OP5 is better (not yet sure as some said angler was better or probably just the same).

What I'm really after with OP5 is the screen display, battery and the no-frills thermal throttle on SoC 835. Angler has a lot of issues with thermal throttling due to poor 810 but I've already done some things to remedy that. You have a great point with me waiting on OP5T but the problem again is the price, as I am in need of a phone badly. Hopefully the sale affects the seller here in PH as well (just one store) and if not, I can't wait until next year to buy one...

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala
OnePlus 5
Is it worth to get OP5? Why?

Whether it's worth or not is a very subjective opinion, but for me, it was worth it. I've always been a Google fanboy but with the launch of Pixels, their smartphone positioning changed from developer-friendly, not very expensive phones made for the power users to made-for-general-public, very expensive, locked down phones made for competing against the likes of Apple and Samsung flagships. Hence, I started looking for a Nexus-alternative and OnePlus fit the description best. It costed me less than what I spent on my 6P, has an amazing developer community, the battery life is just stellar and it has been a great buy overall.. totally worth it.

Should I wait for OP5T? (still skeptical since in the Ph the price actually skyrockets to +$200)

If you prefer fingerprint sensor on the back and no hardware keys (Nexus style), then you should go for the 5T, or else don't. If price is a major decision, then the 5 should suffice 100%. 5T isn't much of an upgrade (especially because the processor is the same). Just that the screen is bumped up (which honestly I don't mind in the 5 because it's too small a gadget for screen size to be that important for me, but that's a personal thing) and the battery will be slightly more in capacity (but that will be compensated by the bigger screen, and hence there won't be any difference as compared to the 5).

Is the camera better or at least as good as angler?

The stock OnePlus camera is inferior to Google Camera which was there in the 6P, but that's not because 5 has a bad camera hardware, it's just that the software processing of the picture is just average. To work around that, there is a Google Camera mod available now which enabled HDR+ on the 5 as well and I use it over the stock OnePlus camera. The results are far better with Google Camera's HDR and comparable to the 6P now. I'm satisfied.

Lastly, does the Audio HAL/sounds are better than angler?

Frankly speaking, I do miss the front facing stereo speakers and it was a downgrade in terms of speakers when I got the 5. However, with the stereo speaker mod (which turns the front earpiece into a mini-speaker as well) along with the A.R.I.S.E sound system/V4A mod, I'm damn happy. The bottom firing speakers can really loud if you want them to (more than the 6P at times) and the quality is great with the A.R.I.S.E sound system/V4A mod. Regarding the jack, I found it similar, didn't notice a big difference because I use bluetooth earphones.

Please do help a buddy out on deciding. I'm currently stuck on 3 choices: repairing my angler or buying an OP5 or wait for OP5T but die because I don't have a phone in my hands atm and the price would most likely be about $600-700 in PH.

I suggest you move on from the 6P because I also had to get my screen replaced initially and it costed me a bomb! Even if you get it changed along with the battery, it still won't be as good as a new phone, so. 5 or 5T, that depends on you given the pros and cons I listed above. 5 will be cheaper now that 5T is coming, so that should also work in your favour.

Also take note: OP doesn't have any warranty in the PH. If I destroyed it due to unknown reasons, the only repair I can guarantee is my tears. Phone costing $499 in your country always has about $50-99 more in mine due to delivery costs and stuff.

Is there an option of taking a third-party insurance from an insurance company? If yes, you can go for it and then be at peace. Also, do remember that rooting or unlocking the bootloader on OnePlus doesn't void their warranty. And one more thing, the jelly screen issue is exaggerated in my opinion. I haven't noticed it (maybe one or twice) and it's a zero issue for me.

Last edited:

phantom146

Apr 30, 2015
Malabon
Is there an option of taking a third-party insurance from an insurance company? If yes, you can go for it and then be at peace. Also, do remember that rooting or unlocking the bootloader on OnePlus doesn't void their warranty. And one more thing, the jelly screen issue is exaggerated in my opinion. I haven't noticed it (maybe one or twice) and it's a zero issue for me.

There is a legit seller here in ph but would take 2 months from OP5's release date to sell it here which is a negative for me. Based from your perspectives, I might have to eliminate Angler and go with OP also given its rich dev-base. Still, however am displeased that I am gonna throw away $500 for a phone (highest I bought was 6P for $250 from a reseller). If only I'm not in need of it immediately, I am willing to wait until its price drop.

I hope the jelly screen will be fixed on OP5T tho :cowboy:

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala
OnePlus 5
There is a legit seller here in ph but would take 2 months from OP5's release date to sell it here which is a negative for me.

Well, two months is a lot of time, indeed.

Based from your perspectives, I might have to eliminate Angler and go with OP also given its rich dev-base. Still, however am displeased that I am gonna throw away $500 for a phone (highest I bought was 6P for $250 from a reseller). If only I'm not in need of it immediately, I am willing to wait until its price drop.

..and to "not be in need of a new phone immediately", you'll have to either spend on getting the 6P repaired or getting a cheap/used smartphone for the period you plan on waiting for the price drop. Either ways, it's an expenditure which you can instead put on a new phone right now. Just my two cents. :)

Me too! Though like I said before, it's a non-issue for me and I've barely ever noticed it. I'm totally happy with my 5's screen.

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala
OnePlus 5
Just last question, @shadowstep, is it worth the price of $100 increase for the 128gb one? I personally don't need the 128gb but the 8gb could be handy or could be overkill?

It is overkill if you don't need it, frankly speaking. I got the 128/8 variant just because it was the higher end one. I don't use more than 10% of the space available. :p

Also, I've used the 64/6 variant too, and there is no as such noticeable difference in app management with 6 GB RAM too as compared to 8 GB RAM. I don't do heavy gaming or whatever it is that needs so much RAM, so it was overkill for me.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Go for the larger memory device.

In regards to which one the 5T would be the obvious choice, the 5 is a beast and the only plus side for me is the 1080p screen, it'll give a little extra performance and stamina.

But even with that in mind if I was looking to upgrade it'd be the 5T.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Is it worth to get OP5? Why?

Whether it's worth or not is a very subjective opinion, but for me, it was worth it. I've always been a Google fanboy but with the launch of Pixels, their smartphone positioning changed from developer-friendly, not very expensive phones made for the power users to made-for-general-public, very expensive, locked down phones made for competing against the likes of Apple and Samsung flagships. Hence, I started looking for a Nexus-alternative and OnePlus fit the description best. It costed me less than what I spent on my 6P, has an amazing developer community, the battery life is just stellar and it has been a great buy overall.. totally worth it.

Should I wait for OP5T? (still skeptical since in the Ph the price actually skyrockets to +$200)

If you prefer fingerprint sensor on the back and no hardware keys (Nexus style), then you should go for the 5T, or else don't. If price is a major decision, then the 5 should suffice 100%. 5T isn't much of an upgrade (especially because the processor is the same). Just that the screen is bumped up (which honestly I don't mind in the 5 because it's too small a gadget for screen size to be that important for me, but that's a personal thing) and the battery will be slightly more in capacity (but that will be compensated by the bigger screen, and hence there won't be any difference as compared to the 5).

Is the camera better or at least as good as angler?

The stock OnePlus camera is inferior to Google Camera which was there in the 6P, but that's not because 5 has a bad camera hardware, it's just that the software processing of the picture is just average. To work around that, there is a Google Camera mod available now which enabled HDR+ on the 5 as well and I use it over the stock OnePlus camera. The results are far better with Google Camera's HDR and comparable to the 6P now. I'm satisfied.

Lastly, does the Audio HAL/sounds are better than angler?

Frankly speaking, I do miss the front facing stereo speakers and it was a downgrade in terms of speakers when I got the 5. However, with the stereo speaker mod (which turns the front earpiece into a mini-speaker as well) along with the A.R.I.S.E sound system/V4A mod, I'm damn happy. The bottom firing speakers can really loud if you want them to (more than the 6P at times) and the quality is great with the A.R.I.S.E sound system/V4A mod. Regarding the jack, I found it similar, didn't notice a big difference because I use bluetooth earphones.

I suggest you move on from the 6P because I also had to get my screen replaced initially and it costed me a bomb! Even if you get it changed along with the battery, it still won't be as good as a new phone, so. 5 or 5T, that depends on you given the pros and cons I listed above. 5 will be cheaper now that 5T is coming, so that should also work in your favour.

There is a legit seller here in ph but would take 2 months from OP5's release date to sell it here which is a negative for me.

Well, two months is a lot of time, indeed.

Based from your perspectives, I might have to eliminate Angler and go with OP also given its rich dev-base. Still, however am displeased that I am gonna throw away $500 for a phone (highest I bought was 6P for $250 from a reseller). If only I'm not in need of it immediately, I am willing to wait until its price drop.

..and to "not be in need of a new phone immediately", you'll have to either spend on getting the 6P repaired or getting a cheap/used smartphone for the period you plan on waiting for the price drop. Either ways, it's an expenditure which you can instead put on a new phone right now. Just my two cents. :)

Me too! Though like I said before, it's a non-issue for me and I've barely ever noticed it. I'm totally happy with my 5's screen.
    Just last question, @shadowstep, is it worth the price of $100 increase for the 128gb one? I personally don't need the 128gb but the 8gb could be handy or could be overkill?

It is overkill if you don't need it, frankly speaking. I got the 128/8 variant just because it was the higher end one. I don't use more than 10% of the space available. :p

Also, I've used the 64/6 variant too, and there is no as such noticeable difference in app management with 6 GB RAM too as compared to 8 GB RAM. I don't do heavy gaming or whatever it is that needs so much RAM, so it was overkill for me.