Question Is it worth upgrading from S21 ultra to S22 Ultra

Search This thread
This year is make or break for me w/ Samsung ... problem i have is the alternatives don't seem to be stepping up.
Exynos is historically broken and overpriced ... but current reports are wildly conflicting between amazing and horrific again for the Exynos 2200
Xioami MIUI 12.5.8 is a buggy mess (really quite a lot of problems on even newest builds on my Pad5)
OnePlus cameras are pretty meh in practice on my wifes 9 pro even if the OS is nice and clean/stock android.
Sony's Xperia 1II was pretty meh camera wise also in practice and the selfie cam was shockingly bad. Plus quite a lot of apps didn't like the 21:9 ratio

Reactions: peterg21 and varcor
This phone is going to flop and here's why. Samsung is releasing a Note 22, not an S Series. The last year the Note 20 went head to head with the S20 Ultra, the Note 20 was out sold 5 to 1. We see the S-Pen on Samsung promotional videos but I've never seen someone actually using it. Samsung is bundling the S22 with Android 12 which even now is an unmigated disaster. Very few actual upgrades, S-Pen, 45W charging, very minor camera tweak and some new colors. Their all new Exynos 2200 SoC has been plagued with production issues, only a small amount of chipsets are functional from a complete wafer after production. In Geekbench 5 tests the Exynos 2200 got smoked by not only the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 but also the Snapdragon 888. Samsung is boasting about Raytracing on the Exynos but the fact is there are currently no apps or games that have integrated Raytracing on any smartphone. Mark my words, this turkey is going to BOMB!

Reactions: Maroc_Specops

burnxtc

Jan 7, 2012
Can you elaborate on Android 12 sucking? I flashed my s21 Ultra with 12 right when I got it so I haven't experienced 11. Multiple comments in this thread are catching my attention.

Can you elaborate on Android 12 sucking? I flashed my s21 Ultra with 12 right when I got it so I haven't experienced 11. Multiple comments in this thread are catching my attention.
Look at the numerous threads from users experiencing problems after updating to Android 12. It's obvious Android 11 is the best OS for the S21. Samsung has released not only Android 12 Beta's but also 4 Final Releases and it's still is plagued with glitches.

Reactions: highlightshadow

burnxtc

Jan 7, 2012
Well, I just thought I would inquire here since it's applicable to the thread and people here seem to have direct experience with it. I haven't had any problems that I know of and I've debloated the snot out of 12 (removed over 200 processes) but would certainly consider 11 for better performance.

In any case, cruising the threads looking for opinions now.

Reactions: BaconTrousers
Look at the numerous threads from users experiencing problems after updating to Android 12. It's obvious Android 11 is the best OS for the S21. Samsung has released not only Android 12 Beta's but also 4 Final Releases and it's still is plagued with glitches.
With you there ... Android 12 on S21 Exynos has been terrible experience ... lot more stalling / sluggishness ... last night my phone needed hard-reboot cos it just became totally unresponsive on home-screen

Reactions: varcor
Well, I just thought I would inquire here since it's applicable to the thread and people here seem to have direct experience with it. I haven't had any problems that I know of and I've debloated the snot out of 12 (removed over 200 processes) but would certainly consider 11 for better performance.

In any case, cruising the threads looking for opinions now.
If you haven't experienced the S21U on A11, it's difficult to explain. Just imagine A12 and make everything better, battery life, smoothness, performance, app behaviour, etc.

I'd advise checking it out for yourself (full wipe needed) but if you're on one of the newer builds, with the updated bootloader, unfortunately there's no going back to A11. I consider myself lucky I downgraded from A12 before the bootloader update and disabled the updater.

So far all I've read on this forum about A12 is overwhelming negative feedback about OneUI 4 and slowly dying optimism about 'possible' bug fixes in the future, which has now almost been entirely given up and now everyone's praying for OneUI 4.1 being a magical fix for all that OneUI 4.0 broke.

Reactions: burnxtc and varcor
This year is make or break for me w/ Samsung ... problem i have is the alternatives don't seem to be stepping up.
Exynos is historically broken and overpriced ... but current reports are wildly conflicting between amazing and horrific again for the Exynos 2200
Xioami MIUI 12.5.8 is a buggy mess (really quite a lot of problems on even newest builds on my Pad5)
OnePlus cameras are pretty meh in practice on my wifes 9 pro even if the OS is nice and clean/stock android.
Sony's Xperia 1II was pretty meh camera wise also in practice and the selfie cam was shockingly bad. Plus quite a lot of apps didn't like the 21:9 ratio
The biggest challenge is replacing a device for anything without Android 12. It's become the premmante OS across numerous manufacturers and causing fits everywhere you look.

burnxtc

Jan 7, 2012
If you haven't experienced the S21U on A11, it's difficult to explain. Just imagine A12 and make everything better, battery life, smoothness, performance, app behaviour, etc.

I'd advise checking it out for yourself (full wipe needed) but if you're on one of the newer builds, with the updated bootloader, unfortunately there's no going back to A11. I consider myself lucky I downgraded from A12 before the bootloader update and disabled the updater.

So far all I've read on this forum about A12 is overwhelming negative feedback about OneUI 4 and slowly dying optimism about 'possible' bug fixes in the future, which has now almost been entirely given up and now everyone's praying for OneUI 4.1 being a magical fix for all that OneUI 4.0 broke.
10-4, I'm on build 4 so I'm good. Downgrading on Monday. Thanks dude!

Reactions: enigmaamit

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
Yes it will fail because hundreds of people do not like Android 12 or Exynos. But then millions of users who really don't care will buy it and it will be a massive success without their approval or purchase.

I have S21 Ultra on Android 12 with Exynos CPU. No issues, runs smooth and I only restart when I have a firmware update. And I bet most S21 Ultra Exynos users have the same experience as me. In fact, two of my mates bought them under my recommendation and they love their S21 Ultras, weirdly they have never mentioned the downside of the Exynos CPU because they do knot know that it has one or give a damn.

Let's see who's in the S22 forums in the coming months. Either they will be owners or trolls. I look forward to seeing the owners over there when I get mine.

joloxx9joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
UK
No and not sure if I stick with samsung next year when my contract finish. I hope oneplus will come back with good software and they improve camera.

I hate exynos and it looks like it will not change.

No and not sure if I stick with samsung next year when my contract finish. I hope oneplus will come back with good software and they improve camera.

I hate exynos and it looks like it will not change.
OnePlus is practically dead. Look at their 10 Pro. Even the OnePlus 1 generated more interest. It's basically Oppo now and their identity is pretty murky right now. Extrapolating the trajectory they've been on since the merger was announced, it just looks like a steep dive off the cliff for them. I'd wager they're never getting back to where they were headed.

ekerbuddyeker

I think you negatives are all wrong. The s22 ultra will be a dynamite device. Even more so since the s21 ultra is still better than any other device that has come out in the 12 months since! And this is especially includes the pixel 6 pro dud (which I owned). Look at some tech reviewers who went out and bought the pixel 6 pro and then went back to their s21 Ultras. And these guys own every other device that came out in the last year.

I'm definitely getting it.

BTW I have had not a single issue with upgrading to android 12 on my s21 ultra.

I can't wait for this new device.

Looks awful, barely evolutionary, more expensive, never found a use for s pen, minimal updates over current ultra, not worthy to be an s device.
Going by all the leaks, it looks like Samsung is keeping the cost same for the new series. Whether they will start at a lower storage and RAM tier (as a cheap marketing trick) remains to be seen though...

Camera system looks identical with some minor upgrade to ultra clear glass lenses (which I think is just desperate marketing to add some new feature just for the heck of it).

What I'm particularly interested in, is whether the inclusion of the S-Pen will take away space from the battery.... That would be a bummer. The S21U is a chonky phone with a chonky 5000mAh battery but still has just acceptable battery life. Any dent in that area will be hard no from me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you REALLY miss the Note range with integral S-Pen slot then yes, maybe, and depending on price you can get selling your S21 Ultra

For all other reasons, NO the S22U is an S21U with an S-Pen slot and very few enhancements or upgrades over the 2021 models.
    Hi... Currently I have the S21 Ultra and really enjoy the phone. I always wanted a note, but due to pricing in my country, I couldn't afford a note on contract. I have seen the specs for S22 ultra and is quite excited with the prospect of getting a s pen with the S22 ultra built in. I wasn't convinced to get s pen separately in a case for the S21 ultra. Will you upgrade/ who is exc2for the release of the S22 ultra??
    S22 ultra doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over the S21U. If an integrated S-Pen is an absolute must-have for you, then by all means get the new phone. But other than that, I don't see a compelling reason to buy one. The S21 Ultra is still an amazing phone even after a year. And honestly speaking, the design is so iconic, I would choose this over the S22U design anyday (based on all the leaks). But that is a highly subjective matter, so it's upto the buyer. If you can afford it and justify it, go for it. Life is short, do the things you enjoy 😉
    In my opinion, in the current tech environment, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade a flagship to a new flagship every year because there isn't many upgrades or even any worth spending the additional money unless u have lots of money or if you find a awesome deal where u can get it for dirt cheap.
    Let's take the S20 Ultra, upgrading from that to the S21 Ultra made sense because it was really an upgrade, in terms of soc, camera and autofocus. But from S21 Ultra to S22 Ultra isn't much seeing the reduction in ram, not much improvement in SoC and almost same spec everywhere. If u need a spen that much, get a spen pro and it'll be future proof as well. This is my opinion.
    I had been considering upgrading from my S21 Ultra (U.S. 12/256) to the S22 Ultra because I can upgrade to the S22 Ultra through work for basically the money I'd be able to sell my S21 Ultra for, making it essentially free, but I probably won't.
    • My current S21 Ultra is unlocked (U1), coming straight from Samsung, whereas the S22 Ultra is locked to AT&T. I don't know how quick AT&T is with their Android updates, but the unlocked S21 Ultra has been stellar in this respect.
    • I don't care at all about the integrated S-Pen in the S22 Ultra. I'd never use it. If anything, it just takes away valuable space for more battery capacity. If I would have wanted an S-Pen, I would have bought a Note before.
    • I'm not a fan of the boxy, Note-like design of the S22 Ultra. I really prefer to rounder S21 Ultra contours.
    • I don't think the other upgrades in the camera and the like are such that I feel the need to upgrade.
    • I've been very happy with my S21 Ultra. Android 12 has been running very smoothly on my phone, without any issues.
    I'll probably wait till the S23 Ultra or perhaps Pixel 7 Pro, or maybe even iPhone 14 Pro Max. For now, though, I'll happily hang on to my S21 Ultra.

--Ron
    I think you negatives are all wrong. The s22 ultra will be a dynamite device. Even more so since the s21 ultra is still better than any other device that has come out in the 12 months since! And this is especially includes the pixel 6 pro dud (which I owned). Look at some tech reviewers who went out and bought the pixel 6 pro and then went back to their s21 Ultras. And these guys own every other device that came out in the last year.

I'm definitely getting it.

BTW I have had not a single issue with upgrading to android 12 on my s21 ultra.

I can't wait for this new device.