Question Is it worth upgrading from S21 ultra to S22 Ultra

Search This thread

termdj

Nov 13, 2013
Hi... Currently I have the S21 Ultra and really enjoy the phone. I always wanted a note, but due to pricing in my country, I couldn't afford a note on contract. I have seen the specs for S22 ultra and is quite excited with the prospect of getting a s pen with the S22 ultra built in. I wasn't convinced to get s pen separately in a case for the S21 ultra. Will you upgrade/ who is exc2for the release of the S22 ultra??

Hi... Currently I have the S21 Ultra and really enjoy the phone. I always wanted a note, but due to pricing in my country, I couldn't afford a note on contract. I have seen the specs for S22 ultra and is quite excited with the prospect of getting a s pen with the S22 ultra built in. I wasn't convinced to get s pen separately in a case for the S21 ultra. Will you upgrade/ who is exc2for the release of the S22 ultra??
S22 ultra doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over the S21U. If an integrated S-Pen is an absolute must-have for you, then by all means get the new phone. But other than that, I don't see a compelling reason to buy one. The S21 Ultra is still an amazing phone even after a year. And honestly speaking, the design is so iconic, I would choose this over the S22U design anyday (based on all the leaks). But that is a highly subjective matter, so it's upto the buyer. If you can afford it and justify it, go for it. Life is short, do the things you enjoy 😉

termdj

Nov 13, 2013
I know the specs aren't that much better then the S21 ultra, but the s range has always been way cheaper in south africa then the note, so I would like to have the s pen, but it all depends on the price on contract

MontrelExpo67

Jan 21, 2022
it happens to almost all phones.
i still own s10 plus, works perfectly
I also get the s21 ultra
tempteing to get s-pen th0

torontocomfortzone

Jan 22, 2022
If you REALLY miss the Note range with integral S-Pen slot then yes, maybe, and depending on price you can get selling your S21 Ultra

For all other reasons, NO the S22U is an S21U with an S-Pen slot and very few enhancements or upgrades over the 2021 models.
Samsung is generous with trade-in, plus if you resever now, you save 50!

termdj

Nov 13, 2013
In south africa there is no trade in deals... Just the normal carrier deals... So, hopefully it won't be too expensive

wilky76

Sep 6, 2021
Tbh I don't think it worth upgrading to the S22 Ultra, it's got to the point now where any improvements are only minor even the camera on the S22 Ultra will only be slightly better than the S21 Ultra, plus i wouldn't be surprised once One UI 4.1 hits the S21 Ultra these improvements are brought down from the S22 Ultra.

I've had my S21 Ultra since last July this has been hands down best phone I've ever owned from Samsung, & i've had practically most of the S range & Note's over the years, the only downside to keeping the S21 Ultra really will be waiting slightly longer for updates once the S22 series has launched.

So I'm going to keep enjoying my S21 Ultra until the S23 Ultra next year.

tfn

May 31, 2010
London
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Will see how it goes and what offers and trade ins are available. I have always been an S series user but loved the Spen support on the Ultra. It is a beast and having got the 512gb 16gb ram I could run it another year or so without any hiccups given that I haven't used it to its full pontential due to Covid.

Only thing I am worried with the S22 Ultra is the 45 Fast Charging and the Crammed 5000mah battery which although welcome I am afraid it might have those 'burst into flames' issues samsung had and how the new amd graphics might come with its own issues with Android 12.

No doubt it will have even a more Awesome battery life compared to the S21 Ultra and better Spen support with bluetooth and stuff. I am sure with the New Expert Raw and the Spen Bluetooth functionality they will promote it as a mobile Photographers Dream phone not to mention the ease of editing with the Spen.

Have my options open and will see how it pans out.

Reactions: BaconTrousers

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
New camera sensor for even more light/detail
New CPU with ray tracing and best GPU available (plus fastest multicore)
S-Pen with higher latency and accuracy than previous
Best screen on market with even more brightness
And hopefully flat display instead of waterfall wasteful curved screen (fingers crossed on this)
Pls upgrade is free to me, so it's a 'hell yeah' from me.

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S10+
New camera sensor for even more light/detail
New CPU with ray tracing and best GPU available (plus fastest multicore)
S-Pen with higher latency and accuracy than previous
Best screen on market with even more brightness
And hopefully flat display instead of waterfall wasteful curved screen (fingers crossed on this)
Pls upgrade is free to me, so it's a 'hell yeah' from me.
"New CPU with ray tracing and best GPU available"

Samsung has experienced numerous production issues with the Exynos 2200 SoC. Out of an entire wafer only a few chipsets are functional. Raytracing is misleading since there are currently no apps capable of raytracing integration on smartphones. In Geekbench 5 tests the Exynos/AMD 2200 was out performed not only by the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 but the Snapdragon 888 also. There may be a few good reasons to buy an S22 but hoping for a better SoC isn't one of them.

Reactions: Xavind
Hi... Currently I have the S21 Ultra and really enjoy the phone. I always wanted a note, but due to pricing in my country, I couldn't afford a note on contract. I have seen the specs for S22 ultra and is quite excited with the prospect of getting a s pen with the S22 ultra built in. I wasn't convinced to get s pen separately in a case for the S21 ultra. Will you upgrade/ who is exc2for the release of the S22 ultra
Here's how it's going to sound...you would have read all the views here and it's mostly a no to the upgrade. But, this thread was a validation for your already made up mind to go ahead with the S22U. Comrade...don't sweat it...if your heart says goes for it..and you have the means for it...go ahead enjoy! As @enigmaamit said here... life's short..enjoy it to the fullest...Go ahead...take the leap of faith...

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
I am definitely looking forward to the S-Pen being built in. I do a lot of photo editing using my fat fingers so having the pressure-sensitive pen will save me a lot of "undo/redo" time.

The latest "leaked images" show the screen flatter without the curved edges and I like that clean look. I can upgrade for free with my network so I am ready to leap! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you REALLY miss the Note range with integral S-Pen slot then yes, maybe, and depending on price you can get selling your S21 Ultra

For all other reasons, NO the S22U is an S21U with an S-Pen slot and very few enhancements or upgrades over the 2021 models.
    S22 ultra doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over the S21U. If an integrated S-Pen is an absolute must-have for you, then by all means get the new phone. But other than that, I don't see a compelling reason to buy one. The S21 Ultra is still an amazing phone even after a year. And honestly speaking, the design is so iconic, I would choose this over the S22U design anyday (based on all the leaks). But that is a highly subjective matter, so it's upto the buyer. If you can afford it and justify it, go for it. Life is short, do the things you enjoy 😉
    In my opinion, in the current tech environment, it doesn't make much sense to upgrade a flagship to a new flagship every year because there isn't many upgrades or even any worth spending the additional money unless u have lots of money or if you find a awesome deal where u can get it for dirt cheap.
    Let's take the S20 Ultra, upgrading from that to the S21 Ultra made sense because it was really an upgrade, in terms of soc, camera and autofocus. But from S21 Ultra to S22 Ultra isn't much seeing the reduction in ram, not much improvement in SoC and almost same spec everywhere. If u need a spen that much, get a spen pro and it'll be future proof as well. This is my opinion.
    I had been considering upgrading from my S21 Ultra (U.S. 12/256) to the S22 Ultra because I can upgrade to the S22 Ultra through work for basically the money I'd be able to sell my S21 Ultra for, making it essentially free, but I probably won't.
    • My current S21 Ultra is unlocked (U1), coming straight from Samsung, whereas the S22 Ultra is locked to AT&T. I don't know how quick AT&T is with their Android updates, but the unlocked S21 Ultra has been stellar in this respect.
    • I don't care at all about the integrated S-Pen in the S22 Ultra. I'd never use it. If anything, it just takes away valuable space for more battery capacity. If I would have wanted an S-Pen, I would have bought a Note before.
    • I'm not a fan of the boxy, Note-like design of the S22 Ultra. I really prefer to rounder S21 Ultra contours.
    • I don't think the other upgrades in the camera and the like are such that I feel the need to upgrade.
    • I've been very happy with my S21 Ultra. Android 12 has been running very smoothly on my phone, without any issues.
    I'll probably wait till the S23 Ultra or perhaps Pixel 7 Pro, or maybe even iPhone 14 Pro Max. For now, though, I'll happily hang on to my S21 Ultra.

--Ron
    I think you negatives are all wrong. The s22 ultra will be a dynamite device. Even more so since the s21 ultra is still better than any other device that has come out in the 12 months since! And this is especially includes the pixel 6 pro dud (which I owned). Look at some tech reviewers who went out and bought the pixel 6 pro and then went back to their s21 Ultras. And these guys own every other device that came out in the last year.

I'm definitely getting it.

BTW I have had not a single issue with upgrading to android 12 on my s21 ultra.

I can't wait for this new device.