Is losing the warranty worth rooting? Is it ever not a good choice?

Search This thread

kabreu

Oct 5, 2016
I have been rooting my phone ever since my first Android years ago (HTC Incredible). I'm not too wild with the customizations, basically root it to make minor GUI changes, overclock at times just out of mere curiosity and boredom for when I want to have fun, and to remove the bloatware. So basically, I never really have used a custom ROM. Whether it was the Note 4 with the one click root app, or using a program on my PC with the original rom for the LG G2.

My question though... Is there much to worry about when I trigger Knox in my S7 edge and lose warranty? I pay for Asurion insurance* (yes, it's overpriced but it's a luxury I like to retain) but would there be a scenario where having a valid warranty would be beneficial? I remember back years ago there were times when my phone broke and I got a brand new phone through warranty* (avoiding insurance - which means not having to pay a deductible).

Is what I use root for worth the loss of warranty?

Thank you for your time guys!

BCSC

Nov 5, 2009
New Westminster
One aspect to keep in mind is Samsung pay. From what I understand, Samsung Pay will not work once Knox is tripped. This mat not matter to you if you dont care to use Pay, but it may affect resale of the phone if someone interested did want Pay. Thats a negative I can think of. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using XDA-Developers mobile app

nitrous²

Jun 4, 2010
The Grid
I have been rooting my phone ever since my first Android years ago (HTC Incredible). I'm not too wild with the customizations, basically root it to make minor GUI changes, overclock at times just out of mere curiosity and boredom for when I want to have fun, and to remove the bloatware. So basically, I never really have used a custom ROM. Whether it was the Note 4 with the one click root app, or using a program on my PC with the original rom for the LG G2.

My question though... Is there much to worry about when I trigger Knox in my S7 edge and lose warranty? I pay for Asurion insurance* (yes, it's overpriced but it's a luxury I like to retain) but would there be a scenario where having a valid warranty would be beneficial? I remember back years ago there were times when my phone broke and I got a brand new phone through warranty* (avoiding insurance - which means not having to pay a deductible).

Is what I use root for worth the loss of warranty?

Thank you for your time guys!

We can't tell. That's your own decision. We don't know your financial situation, we don't know how you would benefit from a rooted device. So; If you can afford to repair the device with your own money + if you'd benefit a lot from rooting it, go ahead. If both scenarios are not applicable to you, the don't.

error666

Oct 13, 2006
I've always rooted my phones except this last one because there was no root. But after using it as is for 1/2 year I'm actually ok with it. Samsung pay and a couple of other things that never worked on rooted devices work ok. I already used the warranty once so that's good. And my main reason for rooting it was adaway and titanium backup. But now there are a few apps that block ads in the browser and don't require root. And they work ok for the most part. Lack of backup is not great but I learned to work around this using samsung and google. And only needed to use it once when changed the phone. Otherwise I am enjoying it. It updates itself while not loosing any data, everything works, warranty is there and I don't get too many ads. I hardly have 1-2 apps that give me ads and that I use maybe once a month so that doesn't bother me anymore.

alehawk

Nov 9, 2010
Its a personal choice... I dont use custom roms mainly because they dont work, the only one I used was a a stock rom for the note 4 that was deodexed, the rest of the roms alwas have some sort of problem, cam doesnt work, led doesnt work, battery drain, crashes, etc, etc, etc, just read every rom thread, no one is fully working.
I rooted the phone to make the battery last longer. Some days ago I unrooted the phone to play pokemon go with my kid and android poped up an alert notifying that my device was slow... and ofcourse iit was slow because of the stupid apps that im not using that are running in background alone.

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Going back to the early years of Android, there were many compelling reasons to root your device.

As time has passed, the "stock" experience has got better and better, and the number of reasons to root has definitely got smaller.

Personally, I've not rooted any of my devices since the Note 3, and I've had many since then.

I know some people like to root as soon as a device leaves the box, but my advice these days is to use a device stock for a period before making any decisions on rooting.

Regards,

Dave

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk