• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Is moto g5s plus 32bit or 64bit

Search This thread

Webern

Jan 14, 2015
I've heard people claim it's 64bit. zcpu isn't saying, and antutu benchmark says 64bit. Wikpedia and motorola/lenovo sites aren't saying. Who are saying it's 32bit and what's their source for this?

If it's true, does that mean that there has to be a full wipe of the apps/data during an upgrade to oreo, or would that only be true if the version of oreo was 64 bit, and that a 32bit upgrade from nougat to orea would be ok?

Please post a reasonable source when replying; i've seem talk either way, and i'm interested in THE answer, not AN answer.

Last edited:

treyweez11

Jan 4, 2012
Atlanta
I've heard people claim it's 64bit. zcpu isn't saying, and antutu benchmark says 64bit. Wikpedia and motorola/lenovo sites aren't saying. Who are saying it's 32bit and what's their source for this?

If it's true, does that mean that there has to be a full wipe of the apps/data during an upgrade to oreo, or would that only be true if the version of oreo was 64 bit, and that a 32bit upgrade from nougat to orea would be ok?

Please post a reasonable source when replying; i've seem talk either way, and i'm interested in THE answer, not AN answer.
Our phones are 64 bit. Stock software runs in 32 bit mode for Sanders. Oreo custom roms are 64bit for our phone for what's currently available.

Sent from my XT1806 using Tapatalk

Webern

Jan 14, 2015
Our phones are 64 bit. Stock software runs in 32 bit mode for Sanders. Oreo custom roms are 64bit for our phone for what's currently available.

Ok, so there'd be no reason to wipe the user data even if we upgrade to a 64 bit version of Oreo, right? Data structures etc in saved data presumably don't need to be concerned with the architecture.

ElKorki

Dec 20, 2016
Ok, so there'd be no reason to wipe the user data even if we upgrade to a 64 bit version of Oreo, right? Data structures etc in saved data presumably don't need to be concerned with the architecture.

it's a bad idea to switch rom without a full wipe, i never managed to get a working installation without that

if you wait for motorola's official update instead, that will probably work and keep your data

treyweez11

Jan 4, 2012
Atlanta
That my friend is a food question. You should do clean flash any way when flashing different ROMs but you won't know until you try. Some people restore their data that way.

ElKorki

Dec 20, 2016
My question is about the stock Oreo update only.

there is no stock oreo update at the moment, and nobody knows when it will be released
as it is not out yet, you question cannot have an univocal answer
apparently it will eventually be released as motorola declared about one year ago, but some people, including myself, start to doubt it

btw, normally, no further or previous actions (such as wiping data) are required when installing an official update
i'd rather back up all my files anyway before upgrading, just in case

Webern

Jan 14, 2015
there is no stock oreo update at the moment, and nobody knows when it will be released
as it is not out yet, you question cannot have an univocal answer
apparently it will eventually be released as motorola declared about one year ago, but some people, including myself, start to doubt it

btw, normally, no further or previous actions (such as wiping data) are required when installing an official update
i'd rather back up all my files anyway before upgrading, just in case

I know that normally you don't have to wipe/reset the device when updating stock, and I know that normally you wipe when flashing different hobbyist roms, and I know there's no release date for Oreo yet. All great facts and I really appreciate the attempt at helping but none of this addresses my question. I'll try again as I obviously wasn't clear enough:

1) Is this device running 32 bit Nougat?
2) Does/Can there exist anywhere a 32 bit Oreo?
3) If the answers are Yes and No respectively, does that mean that in order to upgrade from 32 bit Nougat to 64 bit Oreo a full wipe of app and user data is required?

Last edited:

ElKorki

Dec 20, 2016
I know that normally you don't have to wipe/reset the device when updating stock, and I know that normally you wipe when flashing different hobbyist roms, and I know there's no release date for Oreo yet. All great facts and I really appreciate the attempt at helping but none of this addresses my question. I'll try again as I obviously wasn't clear enough:

3) If the answers are Yes and No respectively, does that mean that in order to upgrade from 32 bit Nougat to 64 bit Oreo a full wipe of app and user data is required?

ok, i'll try to be more schematic

1) yes it is
2) yes, oreo can be 32 or 64 bit. ATM there are no 32 bit oreo custom roms for our device and nobody knows what version will be the official update
2b) all already oreo updated motorola phones run 64bit android, so probably also g5splus ore update will be 64bit
3) nobody can know the exact answer to your question because the update has not been released yet, so nobody could test it yet.

these are my thoughts on the subject:
- the architecture has nothing to do with data partition: only binaries are specific to a processor architecture, not data.
- a full wipe is strongly advised because between different roms there can have differences in folder structure.
- official update is expected to keep your data intact and to takes care of any possible data structure divergencies under the hood during installation

anyway, on lenovo official forum i found this thread
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5S-Moto-G5S-Plus/Help-Android-Oreo-32-or-64-bit/td-p/3986111
which suggests that your fears are realistic

so i'm no longer very confident about the "taking care under the hood" possibility...

Reactions: Webern
Jan 15, 2015
Kolkata
Here you go! :p

So, the processor is of x64 but stock latest Oreo rom is running on 32-bit mode.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181213-121633.png
    Screenshot_20181213-121633.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 228

[email protected]

Feb 4, 2019
Moto g5s plus is 32-bit

Yes Motorola Moto g5splus is a 32-bit. Checked now on antutu it does says 32-bit, one more proof is the fortnight installer. Fortnight you can't install on Moto g5splus and if you see installers requirements it says OS 64-bit so that's too a one more proof of that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ok, i'll try to be more schematic

1) yes it is
    2) yes, oreo can be 32 or 64 bit. ATM there are no 32 bit oreo custom roms for our device and nobody knows what version will be the official update
    2b) all already oreo updated motorola phones run 64bit android, so probably also g5splus ore update will be 64bit
    3) nobody can know the exact answer to your question because the update has not been released yet, so nobody could test it yet.

these are my thoughts on the subject:
    - the architecture has nothing to do with data partition: only binaries are specific to a processor architecture, not data.
    - a full wipe is strongly advised because between different roms there can have differences in folder structure.
    - official update is expected to keep your data intact and to takes care of any possible data structure divergencies under the hood during installation

anyway, on lenovo official forum i found this thread
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5S-Moto-G5S-Plus/Help-Android-Oreo-32-or-64-bit/td-p/3986111
    which suggests that your fears are realistic

so i'm no longer very confident about the "taking care under the hood" possibility...