Is Pixel 2 a good choice now ?

Search This thread

toxarz

Oct 19, 2013
Hello I'm looking for upgrade from Samsung Note 3. I'm looking for phone with best camera and big screen for about 260$ used.
I can get Pixel 2Xl for like 900zł/1000pln its about 262,11 dolars is it worth it still ? My friend told me that i should get some more money and get k20 pro but i think Pixel 2 will take far more better photos? Or am i wrong ?
I really liked photos taken by Samsung S8 i can't get anything lower than that ;P

Last edited:

JackyGundam

Dec 13, 2016
i got a second-hand pixel 2xl 128gb in previous month
no regret at all
u still get monthly update till next year which makes me excited at all
with modded pixel camera, u can get super res zoom, 1-minute astronography mode, only pixel phones can use those mods

Reactions: toxarz

allweknowisa

Nov 4, 2013
If you like playing games go for the k20 pro as it has more processing power.
If you like a nice software experience (with still 1 year more of guaranteed updates), a camera that still fights face to face with the newest flagships, unlimited Google Photos storage until 2021... then get the Pixel.

Reactions: toxarz

toxarz

Oct 19, 2013
Thanks ! Gonna hunt for cheap good shape pixel 64 Gb and stick with it for some time :)
I'm to old for mobile games i want mini dslr in my pocket :)

Moon_420

Nov 12, 2018
no regret at all
with modded pixel camera, u can get super res zoom, 1-minute astronography mode, only pixel phones can use those mods
Any phone*

Bobyouall

Mar 27, 2015
no regret at all

May I ask what camera mod you use?

t4duzan

Jan 16, 2011
Big D
I bought my P2XL off of Swappa in January. That's the only way I'll purchase phones from now on. Unless you get free or highly discounted from your carrier, you will lose so much curb value as soon as you take possession of it. Swappa stands behind their listings too.

Az Biker

Senior Moderator / RC- RT Committee / Semper Salty
Staff member
I'm still on my Oct 18 Pixel 2 XL and it's running so well that I skipped the 3 XL, might skip the 4 XL, and even seriously considering waiting for the pixel 5 XL next year. Yes, I think it's that good!

The camera takes seriously good pics. I've compared real life pics to the iPhone 11 (my daughter's) the Note 8 (friend at work) but have not compared it to the K20.

My battery life is still great, 5-6 hrs SOT with fairly heavy use which is what I was getting when it was new.

Seriously, the 2 XL is a beast of a phone and unless you got plenty of $$$ to burn, or yo must have the latest flagship device, I doubt you'll be disappointed with a bargain priced 2 XL.

Windroid-user

Oct 9, 2018
I'm still on my Oct 18 Pixel 2 XL and it's running so well that I skipped the 3 XL, might skip the 4 XL, and even seriously considering waiting for the pixel 5 XL next year. Yes, I think it's that good!

The camera takes seriously good pics. I've compared real life pics to the iPhone 11 (my daughter's) the Note 8 (friend at work) but have not compared it to the K20.

My battery life is still great, 5-6 hrs SOT with fairly heavy use which is what I was getting when it was new.

Seriously, the 2 XL is a beast of a phone and unless you got plenty of $$$ to burn, or yo must have the latest flagship device, I doubt you'll be disappointed with a bargain priced 2 XL.
Thanks for your experience.

I have a Pixel 2 XL that is not mine. I would like to know if updating to magisk v20.x solves the stuck at battery icon when it shuts down is solved?

I would really appreciate this as my time is currently limited more than usual, and I also plan to take a TWRP backup, update kernel, etc.

Az Biker

Staff member

I have a Pixel 2 XL that is not mine. I would like to know if updating to magisk v20.x solves the stuck at battery icon when it shuts down is solved?

I would really appreciate this as my time is currently limited more than usual, and I also plan to take a TWRP backup, update kernel, etc.

Not sure exactly to what you are referring with the "stuck battery icon" at shut down, but I don't experience any anomalies like that on the latest Magisk (oct factory image)...

Not sure if this helps or not, but the only thin I get once in a great while is after a reboot, I loose touch capability on the display, but a long press power button cycle fixes it and it only happens once or twice a month, so not even on my "worry radar" :p

Reactions: Windroid-user

AllexRo

Aug 22, 2008
Bucharest
I'm currently interested in getting a phone strictly for Gcam :) since Pixel 3/3a and above have prices out of this Earth (Pixel 3a sells @500 EUR+), i'm not decided what to choose between Pixel 2XL and Mi 9 /Mi 9T. I know i'm asking this question on Pixel 2XL forum but I'd appreciate some objective opinions on what should i choose :D

Windroid-user

Oct 9, 2018
Not sure exactly to what you are referring with the "stuck battery icon" at shut down, but I don't experience any anomalies like that on the latest Magisk (oct factory image)...

Not sure if this helps or not, but the only thin I get once in a great while is after a reboot, I loose touch capability on the display, but a long press power button cycle fixes it and it only happens once or twice a month, so not even on my "worry radar" :p
Thanks a ton for your answer.
I'm guessing you haven't let it get to 0% or not used magisk 19.x and it seems like that is indeed fixed on magisk 20.x

Where do you think this touch capability issue comes from? In other words what kernel and/or ROMs at you using? Obviously this can also be magisk modules and other things.

Not my phone btw:laugh:

I'm currently interested in getting a phone strictly for Gcam :) since Pixel 3/3a and above have prices out of this Earth (Pixel 3a sells @500 EUR+), i'm not decided what to choose between Pixel 2XL and Mi 9 /Mi 9T. I know i'm asking this question on Pixel 2XL forum but I'd appreciate some objective opinions on what should i choose :D
I have the Mi 9T, very happy with the decision.

However, I am on locked bootloader and completely stock with some debloating. I do have Gcam and unfortunately I really am the wrong person to answer this question.

What I can tell you as of NOW, is that the development support is not as good as it can be. It is by no means bad but because of broken kernel sources (to my knowledge) it has hindered it whilst the Pro models have more kernels, ROMs etc.

I am sure that this will greatly improve and match the Mi 9T/K20 Pro once android 10 with its kernel sources are out.

I do enjoy stock and locked though. Around 7 hour SOT 2 day battery life for me.

Az Biker

Staff member
Thanks a ton for your answer.
I'm guessing you haven't let it get to 0% or not used magisk 19.x and it seems like that is indeed fixed on magisk 20.x

Where do you think this touch capability issue comes from? In other words what kernel and/or ROMs at you using? Obviously this can also be magisk modules and other things.

Not my phone btw:laugh:

I'm running Nov factory image, latest 10 EX kernel, latest TWRP, and latest Magisk... the only thing that's not the latest is my 2XL :p

Honestly, I thing the weirdness with the touch not registering sometimes is either a software hangup (as it always clears on hard reboot) or a Android 10 vs TWRP thing as back in the day, TWRP had similar touch issues with 8x I think it was (albeit that was only when actually in TWRP recovery.

But like any other bug issue; if it barely affects my life, or is easy to get rid of, I'll gladly deal with it to not be stock and to have all the options root gives me (even if I've been waaaaay too lazy lately to do anything other than flash latest factory images) :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    no regret at all
    If you like playing games go for the k20 pro as it has more processing power.
    If you like a nice software experience (with still 1 year more of guaranteed updates), a camera that still fights face to face with the newest flagships, unlimited Google Photos storage until 2021... then get the Pixel.
    I intend to stay with my Pixel 2 xl for at least another year. the best smartphone I ever had. good battery, fantastic camera, and it's extremely fast.