Is possible to root Xcover Pro?

Search This thread

BWRainbow

Jun 8, 2021
Hello,
I have unlocked the bootloader. I tried to do the steps with Magisk, this is it:

-Install Magisk.

-Patch AP.

-Copy it to PC.

-ReFlash with ODIN.

But when I do that, I got errors during installation on Download mode and the phone bricks. So I don't know if I am doing something wrong or happens that this device can't be rooted.

I have been searching but can't find any reliable information about, could you please give me some information or help?

Thank you!

Reactions: d5sword

BWRainbow

Jun 8, 2021
Got this error following installation instructions:

ODIN MODE (AVB Fail)
vbm*** Error verifying vbmeta image: HASH_MISMATCH (3)
vbmeta: VERIFICATION_DISABLED bit is set
CUSTOM VBMETA
VBMETA G715FNXXU8CUE1, 4000301 4R

d5sword

Jul 12, 2021
Finally, I have successfully rooted Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro (SM-G715FN/DS, Europe Version, Android 11, Firmware version: G715FNXXS9CUF2). :)

I also had the same HASH_MISMATCH error before. But the method described in this post worked for me:

It's pretty simple and straight forward. I won't go in on details about odin, drivers etc as there's many guides about that already.
Or join the A40 tg group for any assistance with firmware, odin etc.
You'll need to unlock bootloader first, and it will TRIP KNOX.
Please read up on what it means before you proceed if you're not sure about it. It can't be reversed.

Download and install latest Magisk manager to your phone. https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases
Download and install 7zip ZS to your pc. https://github.com/mcmilk/7-Zip-zstd/releases
Get the firmware for your phone and extract the AP file from the firmware zip. (Use samfirm or frija for fast download)
Open the AP*.tar.md5 with 7zip ZS and click on the boot.img.lz4, then drag the boot.img out of there.
Copy the boot.img to your phone, open Magisk Manager and click install, and again install, then "select and patch a file".
Browse to the boot.img you just copied to your phone and let Magisk do it's magic.
You'll find a magisk_patched.img in your download folder when it's done.
Copy it over to your pc, rename it to boot.img and make a .tar archive with boot.img in it.
Open Odin, put the tar in AP slot, connect your phone in download mode and hit start in Odin.
Open Magisk Manager again once the phone is booted to finish the setup.
Done.

After doing this procedure, the system didn't boot. An option to execute Factory Reset appeared instead. I chose this option and confirmed to wipe all data.
After the factory reset, the system booted correctly and the phone was rooted. During the first boot I had to wait very long (maybe about ~15 minutes) while Samsung logo splash screen was displayed, but finally the system booted correctly. I also needed to install Magisk apk again, because all data was wiped.

After I bought the phone, the "OEM unlocking" option was missing in "Developers options". But after using my phone for 7 days this options appeared.

Additionally I enabled "MigskHide" option in Magisk and installed this: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/releases/tag/v1.2.0 . After doing this SafetyNet passes successfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWRainbow

BWRainbow

Jun 8, 2021
Awesome! The bad thing is that I already sold Xcover Pro because I need root yes or yes but well, I hope it will be useful for people in the future! Maybe even somebody try to port LineageOS.

-SpaceCowboy-

Jul 21, 2021
Finally, I have successfully rooted Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro (SM-G715FN/DS, Europe Version, Android 11, Firmware version: G715FNXXS9CUF2). :)

I also had the same HASH_MISMATCH error before. But the method described in this post worked for me:

After doing this procedure, the system didn't boot. An option to execute Factory Reset appeared instead. I chose this option and confirmed to wipe all data.
After the factory reset, the system booted correctly and the phone was rooted. During the first boot I had to wait very long (maybe about ~15 minutes) while Samsung logo splash screen was displayed, but finally the system booted correctly. I also needed to install Magisk apk again, because all data was wiped.

After I bought the phone, the "OEM unlocking" option was missing in "Developers options". But after using my phone for 7 days this options appeared.

Additionally I enabled "MigskHide" option in Magisk and installed this: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/releases/tag/v1.2.0 . After doing this SafetyNet passes successfully.
I have the xcover pro g7151u but Magisk cannot flash the boot.img file my AP version is "G715U1UEU9BUF4", I leave this answer in case someone can solve it later

-SpaceCowboy-

Jul 21, 2021
I have the xcover pro g7151u but Magisk cannot flash the boot.img file my AP version is "G715U1UEU9BUF4", I leave this answer in case someone can solve it later

Update: At the beginning in download mode it only appreciates the FRP lock status, but not the others, after flashing the stock ROM to the last one the KG status has appeared in "Cheking" mode but there is no OEM unlock status, this means That the bootloader is no longer blocked or that it will never have the option again?

Attachments

• 20210825_111335.jpg
    20210825_111335.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 133

iBowToAndroid

Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Update: At the beginning in download mode it only appreciates the FRP lock status, but not the others, after flashing the stock ROM to the last one the KG status has appeared in "Cheking" mode but there is no OEM unlock status, this means That the bootloader is no longer blocked or that it will never have the option again?
You can't root without an unlocked bootloader. And you can no longer unlock your bootloader on the version that you have - it's been updated too far

Reactions: -SpaceCowboy-

d5sword

Jul 12, 2021
On my rooted SM-G715FN, I have:
CURRENT BINARY: Custom (0x3)
KG STATE: Checking
FRP LOCK: OFF
OEM LOCK: OFF(U)
Secure Download: Enabled

In Developer Options, I have `OEM Unlocking` enabled.

You can't root without an unlocked bootloader. And you can no longer unlock your bootloader on the version that you have - it's been updated too far

Why it is not possible to unlock bootloader on his phone? I have unlocked bootloader on my phone without problems.

Reactions: ngiesen02

-SpaceCowboy-

Jul 21, 2021
El método de eliminación de ADB funcionó para mí. Hay un archivo de texto "Debloat" en GitHub que hace que esto sea muy sencillo.

Enlace: https://github.com/khlam/debloat-samsung-android tellthebell

Una vez en modo de depuración, USB conectado y controladores instalados:
Shell ADB <comandos.txt

Obviamente, el archivo de texto debe residir en la misma carpeta que ADB.
i think only working in snapdragon devices, no? the Xcover use Exynos

bandario

Feb 1, 2011
Victoria

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to yourself and tys0n.

I purchased an Xcover Pro brand new from Microless global for an absolute steal...as in a price that was simply too good to be true. It was only upon setting up the device that I realised why they were offering such a low price.

The device was encumbered by an unavoidable corporate knox enrollment service. Sadly I suspect most people who purchase from them won't realise just how much control of their device they are handing to some random company if they just press OK during setup, but I wasn't having it. Ignoring the enrolment promp was not possible; you couldn't even access the home button or recent button until you'd authorised under knox and handed control of the device over to some faceless entity.

Thanks to the efforts of those in this thread I have been able to unlock BL, root the SM-G715FN/DS and freeze all of the knox bullshit. The device now belongs to me.

The only thing I'd like to ad for those that come here looking for answers is that the process above is spot on, but I had to use this tool to create my .tar file. Simply creating a .tar archive with the .img file in it wasn't good enough for my device; it rejected that as an unauthorised file.

Use this tool once you've patched the boot.img with magisk and renamed it.

Props to mkh.mourad and testament to the usefulness of XDA that a file from 2013 got me over the line.

I'm certainly no developer, but given the relative ease with which we got this far, I hope it's not too far down the road until we get TWRP and can start mucking around with some roms. Please post here if you have any ideas. This device has real potential as a very long term solution.

Hello,

I did all as described, however I am stuck in ODIN during flashing attempt.

I unlocked the OEM lock first, then I unlocked the bootloader (using long press Vol+ option, prior to download mode, what wipes the device).

I updated the system prior to attemt this procedure, downloaded the match image from sammobile.

Can please someone help to get through this step?

Thank you, Tomas.

Attachments

• odinfail.png
    odinfail.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211008_230440.jpg
    20211008_230440.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 73

-SpaceCowboy-

Jul 21, 2021
Hello,

I did all as described, however I am stuck in ODIN during flashing attempt.

I unlocked the OEM lock first, then I unlocked the bootloader (using long press Vol+ option, prior to download mode, what wipes the device).

I updated the system prior to attemt this procedure, downloaded the match image from sammobile.

Can please someone help to get through this step?

Thank you, Tomas.
The "KG" status must be in "checking" so that you can flash a custom binary, you must leave the phone on 168 hours in a row with an internet connection otherwise it will not disappear

SpaceCowboy,
thank you for the advice, I waited a bit and today I managed to root the phone successfully.

However, I tried to install some Magisk modules and the phone stuck on initial screen (Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro), even not get to the "SAMSUNG" screen.
Only solution was to wipe all data in recovery.

Any ideas how to install Magisk modules without risk?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OEM unlock doesn't exist on US models. This model is bootloader unlockable via paid 3rd party services, but only up until bootloader revision 7. Since you're fully updated, you have revision 12
    Thanks for the advice! I now have a rooted Galaxy XCover Pro SM-G715U (Verizon version) with an unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery, thanks to @afaneh92's excellent bootloader unlock service.

As iBowToAndroid says, this only works on version 7 bootloader or earlier. (The fifth character from the right on the build number is the bootloader version. For example, my phone's build number is G715USQS7AUA1.)

I thought I should post this success story here in case anyone else is considering the XCover Pro. It's by far the best phone with a removable battery, IMHO. To find a phone that hadn't been updated too far, I just messaged a bunch of ebay sellers until I found a used phone with an older build number.
    OEM unlock doesn't exist on US models. This model is bootloader unlockable via paid 3rd party services, but only up until bootloader revision 7. Since you're fully updated, you have revision 12
    Hello,
    I have unlocked the bootloader. I tried to do the steps with Magisk, this is it:

-Install Magisk.

-Patch AP.

-Copy it to PC.

-ReFlash with ODIN.

But when I do that, I got errors during installation on Download mode and the phone bricks. So I don't know if I am doing something wrong or happens that this device can't be rooted.

I have been searching but can't find any reliable information about, could you please give me some information or help?

Thank you!

It's pretty simple and straight forward. I won't go in on details about odin, drivers etc as there's many guides about that already.
    Or join the A40 tg group for any assistance with firmware, odin etc.
    You'll need to unlock bootloader first, and it will TRIP KNOX.
    Please read up on what it means before you proceed if you're not sure about it. It can't be reversed.

Download and install latest Magisk manager to your phone. https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases
    Download and install 7zip ZS to your pc. https://github.com/mcmilk/7-Zip-zstd/releases
    Get the firmware for your phone and extract the AP file from the firmware zip. (Use samfirm or frija for fast download)
    Open the AP*.tar.md5 with 7zip ZS and click on the boot.img.lz4, then drag the boot.img out of there.
    Copy the boot.img to your phone, open Magisk Manager and click install, and again install, then "select and patch a file".
    Browse to the boot.img you just copied to your phone and let Magisk do it's magic.
    You'll find a magisk_patched.img in your download folder when it's done.
    Copy it over to your pc, rename it to boot.img and make a .tar archive with boot.img in it.
    Open Odin, put the tar in AP slot, connect your phone in download mode and hit start in Odin.
    Open Magisk Manager again once the phone is booted to finish the setup.
    Done.