Is root available for the V60 ThinQ yet? I've searched but can't find much info.

Search This thread

AceMasterHan

Apr 21, 2020
Thinking about picking up the V60 ThinQ. I don't have any experience with LG so I'm not sure how user friendly they are when it comes to root and unlocking bootloaders. I'm stubborn and refuse to buy a phone that doesn't have:

1) A headphone jack
2) A microSD card slot
3) Root access

Yes I realize that is just making life harder for myself but I have my principles.

I know this phone is fairly new and I seem to be having trouble finding much information about root. Does anyone know if there has been any progress with it?

I'm really not trying to be "that guy" I just haven't had much luck finding reliable info. I suppose that is probably a good indicator that the info just doesn't exist but I figured I'd take a shot at asking the pros.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Some_Ghost

Nov 6, 2019
don't get me wrong I love this phone but I kind of regret trading my pixel 4 xl... LG blocked users access to the bootloader... you can access fastbootd and download mode and recovery and that's it. all commands are blocked in fastboot mode as well. although the OEM unlock switch can be toggled out of the box I think they allowed this because they know that you will not gain access. I may get the S20 Plus next week, at least it has root...

Thinking about picking up the V60 ThinQ. I don't have any experience with LG so I'm not sure how user friendly they are when it comes to root and unlocking bootloaders. I'm stubborn and refuse to buy a phone that doesn't have:

1) A headphone jack
2) A microSD card slot
3) Root access

Yes I realize that is just making life harder for myself but I have my principles.

I know this phone is fairly new and I seem to be having trouble finding much information about root. Does anyone know if there has been any progress with it?

I'm really not trying to be "that guy" I just haven't had much luck finding reliable info. I suppose that is probably a good indicator that the info just doesn't exist but I figured I'd take a shot at asking the pros.

AceMasterHan

Apr 21, 2020
don't get me wrong I love this phone but I kind of regret trading my pixel 4 xl... LG blocked users access to the bootloader... you can access fastbootd and download mode and recovery and that's it. all commands are blocked in fastboot mode as well. although the OEM unlock switch can be toggled out of the box I think they allowed this because they know that you will not gain access. I may get the S20 Plus next week, at least it has root...

Thanks I really appreciate the info. Looks like I'll be holding off for a bit to see how things progress. I really like the look of this phone but root access is one thing I won't bend on. Thanks again.

AceMasterHan

Apr 21, 2020
Is root even a thing now?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

It is for me. I use a few apps that need root permissions. Also, being locked out of certain parts of a pocket computer "for my own good/safety/security" just doesn't sit well with me. If I decide to go into the file system and start hacking and slashing files until it's a brick, that's on me.

I can easily see how that could seem silly to some but at the end of the day if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars or more on a device that I carry with me everywhere and use every day for the foreseeable future, it's damn sure going to have the features that I want. For me that's a 3.5mm headphone jack, a microSD slot, and root access. Of course, I have a bad habit of making my own life more difficult based on principle alone. I wouldn't recommend it. However we all have to pick and choose our own hills to die on. Don't even get me started on dongles...

Anyway, I'm very sleep deprived and rambling on about nonsense. Apologies.

dbaldock9

Feb 27, 2013
Houston

For those who still want a 3.5mm audio jack on their cellphone, the S20 Plus isn't a viable option.

Reactions: V30ish

Some_Ghost

Nov 6, 2019
For those who still want a 3.5mm audio jack on their cellphone, the S20 Plus isn't a viable option.

that may be true, but I was talking about myself because I could care less about the headphone jack. I got the V60 because of the battery life, the size, the price, and 5G... the dual screen was a bit intriguing yes but it did not fully influence my choice lol

V30ish

May 22, 2019
I was thinking about getting the V60 too as I'm still on the V30, and just broke the screen over the weekend. Root is essential to me because I cannot use the portable hotspot to tether without it as my carrier blocks that by default, and forces you to change your plan if you want tethering. Root is the only way I know around that, but it sounds like the V60 has not yet been rooted.

Reactions: gimmeitorilltell

claydoh

Oct 10, 2011
Verizon LG G4
LG V30
I was thinking about getting the V60 too as I'm still on the V30, and just broke the screen over the weekend. Root is essential to me because I cannot use the portable hotspot to tether without it as my carrier blocks that by default, and forces you to change your plan if you want tethering. Root is the only way I know around that, but it sounds like the V60 has not yet been rooted.

it took over a year many variants of the V30 to be rooted iirc, this phone is far too new, and in limited markets (so fewer devs hacking on them). My guess is it will take a while for us, unless someone gets lucky.

Mejilan

Oct 16, 2010
I'm certainly no expert, but I would expect rooting this phone to take quite some time, and perhaps a small miracle.
I don't even think they're selling an open-market unlocked version in the U.S. as they did with my last phone, the V30+.

Reactions: GDane1

V30ish

May 22, 2019
Just to add to this, I seen that an octopus box can work on every device EXCEPT the T-Mobile version.

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA Labs

Could you elaborate on this further please? I'm not familiar with want an octopus box is. Thank you!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Also, I'm curious about articles like this https://myphoneupdate.com/root-lg-v60-thinq-5g/ where the guy claims he roots the V60 via SuperSU & Magisk, among a few other methods. Is it all BS?

BROKEN1981

Dec 27, 2013
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Could you elaborate on this further please? I'm not familiar with want an octopus box is. Thank you!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Also, I'm curious about articles like this https://myphoneupdate.com/root-lg-v60-thinq-5g/ where the guy claims he roots the V60 via SuperSU & Magisk, among a few other methods. Is it all BS?
That article is BS.

I suggest looking on eBay. There might be a fire hose.

https://gsmserver.com/octoplus-pro-...-tool-plus-unlimited-sony-ericsson-plus-sony/

I only see up to the V40

Sent from my LG-H932 using XDA Labs

babyarm85

Oct 27, 2012
Phoenix
easy solution...

Get the V60. Use an app called PDAnet+ from the play store. Costs $8 to permanently unlock unlimited tethering. Works on un-rooted phones and hides the data from the carrier. Hands down one the best apps I ever paid for. They have a trial mode to make sure it works. Hope this helps.

Jan 1, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Get the V60. Use an app called PDAnet+ from the play store. Costs $8 to permanently unlock unlimited tethering. Works on un-rooted phones and hides the data from the carrier. Hands down one the best apps I ever paid for. They have a trial mode to make sure it works. Hope this helps.
PDAnet is great. Gets around the tether cap for me no sweat. What do you mean by it hides the data though? Are you saying it shows NO data use or it hides the fact you are tethering?

GDane1

Jul 4, 2017
PDAnet is great. Gets around the tether cap for me no sweat. What do you mean by it hides the data though? Are you saying it shows NO data use or it hides the fact you are tethering?
Pdanet+ only gives you truely unlimited tethering/hotspot only with a rooted device? are will it work on my t-mobile LG V60 thin Q device regular not being rooted because there is no root process yet on the V60 device.Is there any special way that you need to set up the pdanet+ app in order to get unlimited hotspot on the V60 to work? Thanks In advance!!!

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Jan 1, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Pdanet+ only gives you truely unlimited tethering/hotspot only with a rooted device? are will it work on my t-mobile LG V60 thin Q device regular not being rooted because there is no root process yet on the V60 device.Is there any special way that you need to set up the pdanet+ app in order to get unlimited hotspot on ootedthe V60 to work? Thanks In advance!!!

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

I'm using it on my V60 now as a client but it's working as a host on my temporary unrooted revvlry and it worked just fine on my unrooted v40. You need to know how to set the proxy setting in advanced networking because you can connect any device to it using the proxy settings. Click help in pdanet and follow the instructions for other devices. But the best results are going to come if you have PdaNet on both devices and you connect them through the PdaNet application.

But no. I am getting truly unlimited tethering with no throttling on all of my unrooted devices that I've used it as a host. So if you -don't- have a rooted device try PdaNet. It works because it is operating as its own server, a proxy server. The data is going to your unrooted device then going through a server to the client device. The carrier doesn't see this as a tether.

Edited for errors

Last edited:
Reactions: jcole6197

frettd

Dec 31, 2014
I'm using it on my V60 now as a client but it's working as a host on my temporary unrooted revvlry and it worked just fine on my unrooted v40. You need to know how to set the proxy setting in advanced networking because you can connect any device to it using the proxy settings. Click help in pdanet and follow the instructions for other devices. But the best results are going to come if you have PDA net on both devices and you connect them through the PdaNet application.

But no. I am getting truly unlimited tethering with no throttling on all of my unrooted devices that I've used it as a host. So if you have a rooted device try PdaNet. It works because it's operating as its own server, a proxy server so the data is going to your rooted device then going through a server to the client device so it looks like the data is just going to your rooted phone and then PdaNet reroutes it to the client.

I second that. Completely worth paying for. The only thing I found is that Verizon sometimes seemed to catch on to what I was doing, because I would stop getting data. I would have to disconnect and then reconnect and then things worked fine. It was a minor inconvenience.

One reason I want root access is so I can run AdGuard and NordVPN together (without using their SOCKS5 server).

Reactions: GenuineDickies99
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I second that. Completely worth paying for. The only thing I found is that Verizon sometimes seemed to catch on to what I was doing, because I would stop getting data. I would have to disconnect and then reconnect and then things worked fine. It was a minor inconvenience.

One reason I want root access is so I can run AdGuard and NordVPN together (without using their SOCKS5 server).

After what I have read about what they did to fastboot Im not holding my breath for root. Im returning the phone and getting the Galaxy S10.

papadelogan

Apr 26, 2012
Root has become less of a necessity for me over the years, though I do think that if I pay $1 for something, it should be mine to do with as I choose. $800 for a phone and I DAMN SURE should have that ability. If I brick it or make it so that any noob can get my info off wifi/bluetooth/whatever, then that's on me. No *****in' policy in full effect.

Reactions: xbt-

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is root even a thing now?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

It is for me. I use a few apps that need root permissions. Also, being locked out of certain parts of a pocket computer "for my own good/safety/security" just doesn't sit well with me. If I decide to go into the file system and start hacking and slashing files until it's a brick, that's on me.

I can easily see how that could seem silly to some but at the end of the day if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars or more on a device that I carry with me everywhere and use every day for the foreseeable future, it's damn sure going to have the features that I want. For me that's a 3.5mm headphone jack, a microSD slot, and root access. Of course, I have a bad habit of making my own life more difficult based on principle alone. I wouldn't recommend it. However we all have to pick and choose our own hills to die on. Don't even get me started on dongles...

Anyway, I'm very sleep deprived and rambling on about nonsense. Apologies.

Thanks I really appreciate the info. Looks like I'll be holding off for a bit to see how things progress. I really like the look of this phone but root access is one thing I won't bend on. Thanks again.

1) A headphone jack
    2) A microSD card slot
    3) Root access

still hoping some day v60 tmobile variant gets root
    This type talk reminds me of reminds me of guys who think driving stick is something that is so impressive. Root access is like getting free medicare to some lol. Gaining root access just sounds cool and some of the features are so overrated. You pay a grand for a phone but it's not like you would go to the moon with root access.

I did my fair share of rooting since early 2010. Not much changes day to day with my rooted phone or my non rooted phone.
    what life without root? never had and never will. automatic or stick shift both see all the annoying ads on the big city freeaways, my phone is going off road, bit bumpy from time to time but feels soooo good to be FREE! 👍